PDA

View Full Version : First time beagling...

kamikaze1a
03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I have a mold that was a bit out of round and undersized 90° from mold lines. I used one layer of hi-temp muffler tape and it took away most of the out of round...almost. Sizing shows a couple of areas aren't being sized on some... If I want to try two layers of tape, could I stack them or better to one layer on each half?

I read the sticky on beagling and it recommends one layer on each mold half but don't want to cover the mold's vent lines but then again, that might be a moot point since the space will probably be even more venting than the lines...

Any thoughts or experiences?

Oh and another thing, this mold sure has a huge lube groove! Anybody tried with a large lube groove tried partial filling?

beagle
03-10-2010, 07:45 PM
You can stack if need be on both sides of the mould halves. Be aware that this compresses during use and you may need to lay on another layer.

You can do anything needed to make it work. When you start getting "wings" on the bullets, you know you have reached the outer limits of the beagling process./beagle

kamikaze1a
03-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Thank you for the input! Are you saying that after a bunch of casting sessions, I may need to add an additional layer?

beagle
03-10-2010, 11:08 PM
That's correct. The heat and the mould halves closing on it will after a time compress it and the diameter will be lowered. After you build up the desired thickness and it compresses, it will remain stable./beagle

Thank you for the input! Are you saying that after a bunch of casting sessions, I may need to add an additional layer?