PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold giving me problems

44fanatic
03-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Just got two Lee Moulds yesterday: 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C309-120-R 30 Caliber (309 Diameter) 120 Grain 1 Ogive Radius Gas Check.

When I pour either through a BP or a ladle I am getting a paper thin "fin" from the sprue cut. Some of these are upwards of about 1/4 diameter of the base. Probably about 1/32" out from the base.

Looking at the sprue plate, there is a gap between the sprue plate and the mold. I have attempted looseing and tightening the set screw to no avail. I have even replaced the bent washer w/ a flat washer and that did not help.

To cut the sprues, I have hit the sprue plate flat and at an angle pushing it toward the mold.

Am I doing something wrong or are my molds jacked. Ran about 300 bullets yesterday w/ about 100 of them thrown back in the pot because of this.

[smilie=b:

sqlbullet
03-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I received a Lee mold about a month ago, .309 200 grain. Similar issue with the front cavity in the mold. My solution was to don my welding gloves and open the sprue plate by hand maintaing downward pressure as I did. I still occasionally get a bad sprue, but it is down to just 2-3 per hundred.

Springfield
03-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Sometimes moulds get a bit of thread pull-out at the pivot screw. What I do is remove the screw and plate and carefully file that part of the mould flat again, then re-install the sprue plate. Works for me. Technically the pivot hole should have been slightly countersunk to avoid this in the first place, but it is an easy fix.

03-10-2010, 01:21 PM
44fanatic,
Lee moulds are tempermental and I've had problems with the sprue plates not sitting flat, too. I've found that the best cure is to loosen the screw to the point where the plate sits flat and swings freely. Hopefully, you've "Leemented"the mould and have installed a set-screw to prevent the sprue plate screw from backing out.

Makes no sense whacking the sprue plate, to open it, either. Use a gloved hand, instead.

DLCTEX
03-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Loosening the sprue plate screw on a Lee mould will likely require a set screw to be installed to keep it from backing out. Seems that once loosened the block looses it's grip on the threads.

44fanatic
03-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Loosened the set screw and the sprue plates are floppin in the wind. Workin much better now. Guess I didnt loosen it far enough the first time.

Thanks for the help.

44fanatic
03-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Each day I learn something new but its coming at me like a firehose right now...LOL

Quit learnin...Quit livin

Greenhorn44
03-10-2010, 03:36 PM
If all else fails, send it back to Lee. They will fix it for free!!

03-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Greenhorn44,
Sending stuff back to Lee, to have them fix it, takes all the fun out of life.

(In a few days, I'll post about a recent Lee mould experience. Not to spoil it, but there is a happy ending.)

stubshaft
03-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Greenhorn44,
Sending stuff back to Lee, to have them fix it, takes all the fun out of life.

(In a few days, I'll post about a recent Lee mould experience. Not to spoil it, but there is a happy ending.)

Waiting for Lee to produce the mold you need replaced takes all of the fun out of life. (Bator mold with oversize base):sad: