PDA

View Full Version : First shot options

semtav
03-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Just curios what others are finding works best in the barrel for the first shot for both accuracy and leading control.

My options so far:

clean dry barrel
Napa Power lube
PB Blaster
Kroil
Bullet lube

Heard good things about Kroil on molds, but bad thiings about Kroil in a BP barrel for first shot.
any experiences

thanks
Brian

BruceB
03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
My normal procedure for the RARE occasions when a cast-bullet rifle gets cleaned, is to run a bullet-lube-soaked patch through the barrel.

Once in a while I stack up some .30-caliber patches and put a lump of lube on top. The whole mess is then heated-up with an electric heat gun until the lube melts and soaks the patches. A prescription bottle holds the gummy icky lubed patches until needed.

I disregard the first shot fired from the lubed barrel, but after that everything's back to normal. This routine works for me, but I have to confess that I started doing it when I began loading cast bullets for rifles....I've never tried any other way.

cajun shooter
03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I use two methods and have not reached an answer yet. Dry Barrel for one. Then when cleaning from an outing of shooting I run a patch of Ballistol down the barrel which I would think is still in the barrel when that next shot is fired.

montana_charlie
03-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Heard good things about Kroil on molds, but bad thiings about Kroil in a BP barrel for first shot.
I don't have a good answer for you, but I know what you are saying about Kroil.

I tried shooting some 'grooveless bullets' once, and they leaded the bore badly. I used Kroil to get the lead out..and it worked well.
When I went back to grooved bullets with real lube, I still got a bit of leading...and I kept on using Kroil to remove it.
Then, I read some remarks that indicate Kroil promotes leading, and the recommendation was to use pure gum turpentine for lead removal.

I bought the turpentine, but it was at about that time that I started shooting paper patch. So, I stopped looking for the 'good first shot' bore coating...and stopped digging lead out of the barrel.
However, I never felt Kroil would be a good substance to 'season' the bore for the first shot.

Cajun Shooter's suggestion of Ballistol sounds better than Kroil.

If you are looking for something semi-exotic, here's an idea I was playing with...but never tried (because of the paper patching).

Smear the freshly cleaned bore with Johnson's Paste Wax, patched out to leave a very thin coat. After a few hours, dry patch it to leave a 'polished surface' that would look on a hardwood floor.

I think you would get pretty good moisture protection which would last quite a while...and it would provide a 'lubed' bore for that first bullet.
It shouldn't be especially prone to collecting dust, and (not being a liquid) wouldn't need to be patched out prior to firing.

I use JPW as a release agent for glass bedding jobs, lubricating wood screws going into oak, and various other jobs. I don't wax floors.
I have found that almost any solvent will cut it easily, so you shouldn't have any problems with buildup in the bore.

If it works for you, I will readily accept your praise and gratitude.
If it creates a disaster...you didn't hear it from me.

CM

NickSS
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I use kroil to remove lead fouling when I get it but getting it is a rare occasion. I always follow up the kroil with a patch of regular bore cleaner and a dry patch. I almost never get leading unless my lube fails and have never pretreated the bore.

herbert buckland
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
For acuracy i youse a difrent load for my fist shot eg in my MH 577-450 the pouder charge is 65gr Wano PP folowed by 80gr Wanop ,the fist and second shot are yously in 2 inches of each other at 200meters the folowing 11 shots are yously resonably close if i have a good day ,i use roled oats as a filler folowed by a milk carton wad then 1/4 inch lube wade then another milk carton wade with a .465 175gr CBE lubed boolit

RMulhern
03-10-2010, 08:18 PM
It doesn't make a hoot 'n hells difference reference first shot impact AS LONG AS YOU know where it's going!! Develop a routine, stick with it....log the first shot zero and go with it!! Hunting is the only place that's required as 'sighters' are allowed in comp!!

semtav
03-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Right now my problem is some severe leading problems in a 40-82 I recently acquired.
One load I shot yesterday, had no leading, but I realized afterward that I had no idea what bore condition I started out with. After reading some threads somewhere about leading problems with Kroil, I thought maybe I'd better pay more attention to that too.