PDA

View Full Version : Kimber SS Target II?

AviatorTroy
03-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm not a competition shooter, but I do appreciate a well made product, even just for hobby shooting/nightstand drawer use. Ive been looking pretty hard at one and I wanted to see What the collective had to say...

475BH
03-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Mine will shoot under 1" @ 25 yds. w/ 7 shots.
200 gr. swc and a lil reddot.

That'll Do
03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
I've had mine for a week, so I haven't had a chance to get into accuracy testing.

I've only shot about 150 rounds of factory 230gr FMJ ammo just to break the gun in, but even from that I can tell that this gun will be one heck of a shooter.

AviatorTroy
03-10-2010, 08:44 PM
That's what I want to hear. My only current .45 is a Star PD which, actually, is way more accurate than I would have expected. But, the whole aluminum frame thing plus these have a reputation of being somewhat fragile have me looking for a more stout practice gun in the 1911 platform. Thanks guys!

Dale53
03-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I have three 1911's. Two are built up "guns for a purpose" and one is the Kimber Ultra CDP II with 3" barrel:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0210.jpg

I believe that the Kimber is the best value out there in a 1911 platform. I was AMAZED at how well the "little gal" shot. My first ten shots on the timed fire target at 25 yards (in front of several other shooters) landed in the nine and ten rings. Not one shot out of the ten outside the nine ring (this with a SHORT gun - AMAZING).

I have a couple of friends who have target Kimbers and they shoot pretty much as well as my two custom pistols do.

I suspect that you'll be VERY happy with the Kimber.

Dale53

rigger
03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
I've put around 8,000 rounds through mine in the last 2 years and am very happy with it. It still shoots very well with 3.7 of Clays and a 200 grain swc. The only malfunctions I've had (three if I recall right) were due to some bad brass I missed during inspection.

joeb4065
03-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I have a Kimber Classic Custom (about their cheapest model), I have had for 10+ years, have put many thousands of cast bullets down the tube. It has always been more accurate than other 1911s I have had, including several Gold Cups. It is my CC gun, worn blue, feels like part of me, is even smoother now, still very accurate. Have shot @ 100 yds just playing, sitting wrists on knees, have put 5 of 8 onto target (about 12"w x 16"t). Amazed myself and the guys I was shooting with. Doubt you will be disappointed in the Kimber.

Joe

Wildcat
03-12-2010, 03:40 PM
I've had mine close to ten years and its been great. Very smooth and accurate. Shoots rings around my Dad's Series 70 Gold Cup.

Mallard57
03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Mine is a 9mm and is probably the most fun to shoot pistol I have. It is very accurate and functions very well. I will admit it didn't start out that way but I spent alot of time on some of the 1911 boards and found that the extractor needed to be adjusted(an easy fix). I use a light load of WWAA Plus and a cast 124 gr. TC type bullet. I've been trying to figure out how to pay for a red dot sight with a no gunsmith type mount( I'm leaning heavily towards the Burris Fast Fire II). I would much rather get some form of Ultradot but I can't convince myself to get holes drilled in my slide.
Jeff