PDA

View Full Version : Lubed JHP

BT Sniper
03-10-2010, 01:17 AM
It has been mentioned severial times but I have never seen any pics of a brass jacket lubed so I gave it a try.

Looks pretty cool. Maybe it will even help out the perfoemance. Won't know till I shoot a few and with my limited shooting schedule that may be a while.

So I took a seated, notched core and placed severial in a small lid of melted bullet lube (Layman orange somthing?). When the lube set, punch them out with a spent case of same diameter. Like cookie cutters. Then swage the final bullet as normal.

Wish I could take credit for the idea but it was passed on to me from another knowledgble member here. Worked pretty good. Not sure it will be worth the extra effort but it can be done.

Good shooting,

BT
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1030072.jpg

DukeInFlorida
03-10-2010, 01:34 AM
Funny, but was just thinking about that the other day. Great minds and all like that......

The lube isn't needed for the same reason that lead bullets would need the lube. However, the brass is much harder than pure copper would be on the rifling. And, the lube would just cut down on the abrasiveness a bit.

Brian, I notice that the samples in the picture are of the XLT style hollow points. Any chance I could get an XLT custom punch for my .40 bullet setup? Do you run that operation in the swaging die? Or, in a separate core seating die? (Which would require that I get one of those.)

BT Sniper
03-10-2010, 02:59 AM
I am not fimilar with "XLT" maybe Hornaday's XTP but if it is the notched jacket that you are refering too in the lubed bullets pictured above, Yes I can make a custom notch jacket punch for any of the CH caliber dies to make bullets just like this. I'm putting two together for a couple customers with the 44 cal die set up. It does require the core seating die and I cut the teeth by hand with a file and a carfull touch so it is pretty valuable to me time wise. Feel free to send me a PM if your interested as well as anyone else for this matter. As you can see experimenting with cusom bullets is only limited by your imagination.

Anyone have any thoughts as to addvantages or disadvantages of a lubed JHP? I am not sure about the hardness of an annealed brass jacket vs. hardness of gliding metal jacket, I may be under the impression they are very similar if not the same. What effect does %25 more zink have in a jacket? Well again only way to tell I guess is by shooting a lot of both.

This must be what you are interested in?
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/notchedjackets046.jpg
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/notchedjackets049.jpg
http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/

a.squibload
03-10-2010, 04:32 AM
I was content to just read but that pic made me register!
Please let us know if the slug on the left whines through the air like a Stuka dive-bomber...

BT Sniper
03-10-2010, 04:51 AM
LOL! yeh it probably would make a bit of noise. The slug on the left is the unfinshed bulet before it is formed in teh final swage die. The 3 to the right are the final bullets with varring degrees of the nose squished together. They should open up quite nicely though.

Welcome to the sight :)

Good shooting,

BT

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Brian,
oooohhh, those look nice !
Jon

DukeInFlorida
03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah, just old age setting in with the XLT/XTP/STP, whatever it is... hahahaha

Yes, that's what I was asking about.

Let me know what that will cost me to make up for my .40 set up.

I am not fimilar with "XLT" maybe Hornaday's XTP but if it is the notched jacket that you are refering too in the lubed bullets pictured above, Yes I can make a custom notch jacket punch for any of the CH caliber dies to make bullets just like this. I'm putting two together for a couple customers with the 44 cal die set up. It does require the core seating die and I cut the teeth by hand with a file and a carfull touch so it is pretty valuable to me time wise. Feel free to send me a PM if your interested as well as anyone else for this matter. As you can see experimenting with cusom bullets is only limited by your imagination.

Anyone have any thoughts as to addvantages or disadvantages of a lubed JHP? I am not sure about the hardness of an annealed brass jacket vs. hardness of gliding metal jacket, I may be under the impression they are very similar if not the same. What effect does %25 more zink have in a jacket? Well again only way to tell I guess is by shooting a lot of both.

This must be what you are interested in?

Heavy lead
03-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Wow, that one on the left would hurt.
Not long though.[smilie=s:

a.squibload
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
OK, I had the procedure backwards. They are nice looking. I'm currently trying to UNBURY
my reloading bench, might be interested in a .40 and .44 setup.

Was wondering if .380 brass would be useful, or is it too short? A freind doesn't save
her brass, and .380 is plentiful along with 9 at the range, for free.

DukeInFlorida
03-11-2010, 05:53 PM
The 380 might take a lot more force to expand to .400 diameter. Also, the cores we have been using are 9mm cast lead cores. Those won't fit inside a 380 case.

What MIGHT be interesting is to try some cast 380 cores (less than 124 grains), and put some of those in annealed 380 cases, and see if they will squeeze up to .400 diameter.

That might actually solve the 9mm case being just a tad too long issue.

Any extra lead volume in any case ends up as a lead nose bullet, rather than the jacket going all the way to the nose.

I don't have any cast lead 380's, but would certainly try some 380 brass that I have here. Maybe I'll pour molten lead to fill the case (maybe that will anneal the case enough also. ) That would give me a core. I'll report tomorrow.....

BT Sniper
03-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Trade the 380 cases for what you need. That 380 case makes a great .357 bulley after it is sized down a bit.

Either way 9mm and 40 is very plentifull and I advise eveyone who is not allready to save whatever brass they can find as somone will have a use for it.

buck1
03-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Thats a busy boolit. A cast boolit seated in to a fired case, reformed in to a bullet for a different caliber, custom nose cut and hollow pointed, and then lubed like a cast boolit. Seems a shame to shoot it! LOL!! This is VERY VERY COOL!~...Buck

BT Sniper
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
You'll be doing the same thing soon :)

buck1
03-12-2010, 12:56 AM
:bigsmyl2:
OOOOOOHHHH YEA!! [smilie=p:

sagacious
03-12-2010, 01:57 AM
I used to lube my 44cal swaged 40SW cases exactly like that. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but the swaged case does have a 'lube groove', so I put lube in it. Can't hurt.

warf73
03-12-2010, 04:06 AM
[QUOTE=DukeInMaine;837556]The 380 might take a lot more force to expand to .400 diameter. Also, the cores we have been using are 9mm cast lead cores. Those won't fit inside a 380 case.
QUOTE]

My 125gr boolit sized to .356" slides right into a 380 case with just a little bit of lead above the rim about .050 or less.

nicholst55
03-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Trade the 380 cases for what you need. That 380 case makes a great .357 bulley after it is sized down a bit.

Either way 9mm and 40 is very plentifull and I advise eveyone who is not allready to save whatever brass they can find as somone will have a use for it.

It seems like .380 brass (and ammo) is made from unobtanium these days; you could probably make enough selling any that you have to buy a bunch of 9mm brass. Or trade them for 9mm brass.

a.squibload
03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
OK, I had the procedure backwards. They are nice looking. I'm currently trying to UNBURY
my reloading bench, might be interested in a .40 and .44 setup.

Was wondering if .380 brass would be useful, or is it too short? A freind doesn't save
her brass, and .380 is plentiful along with 9 at the range, for free.

Should correct myself, I SAW a lot of 380 and 9 brass at the range. Normally they
sell it for recycle, but they let me pick through it that day for 40 cases. Of course
I got a lot of the other 2 mixed in (and some 45). It's not like I have a real
connection there! If I start swaging JHPs like this I'll probably have to beg them
(and pay) to get any brass at all...

sargenv
03-13-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure if that's going to make it more dramatically open than it already is.. though in my case, I was shooting at steel popper targets today with my 9 into 40 bullets.. and I can say that the brass jacket made cute little flowers and the lead was mostly nowhere to be found.. I'll post pics later..

As for the lube.. kind of interesting.. what I'd been doing is leaving the light film of sizing lube on the bullet and loading them like that. The base is lube free and the lube is only on the bearing surface that contacts the rifling.

Will post pictures of the bullets and jackets in the other thread likely sometime in the next few days. I was able to push em to 1100 ish fps with Longshot and no signs of pressure.