PDA

View Full Version : Midway's Frankford Arsenal Press.

03-09-2010, 10:53 PM
There were a few posts, on buck1's thread about the Smart Reloader press, that made mention of the Frankford Arsenal press that is shown in a full-page ad on page 311 of Midway's new catalogue. The press is not to be found anywhere else in the catalogue nor is it listed on their web-site.

This afternoon, I e-mailed Midway, and this was their prompt reply: Thanks for your recent e-mail. We apologize that press is no longer in production. We will put in a product request to see if those are able to come back. Keep a sharp eye out on our website.

Not sure what it all means, but another choice in reloading equipment is always good.

swallytrip
03-10-2010, 12:04 AM
I remember from a long time ago that midway used to sell the Frankford Aresenal press. However this was some 15 years ago or more back when they didn't have the shipping charges and the catalogues were just like comic book type paper and size. The press resembled a Lyman Orange Crush except Blue instead and appeared to be modestly priced and well built I believe they were around $100.00 bucks back then. The company that makes Frankford Aresenal equipment is called Battenfield Technologies here is there link I wish they would bring them back I wanted one but missed out. Maybe if enough inquiries are made they might.
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/

03-10-2010, 01:09 AM
I think Larry Potterfield is Battenfeld.

Russ in WY
03-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Think [462] is correct , just looked a t a few products & they seem to be same as stuff in Midway catalog.... Russ.

Pressman
03-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Battenfield and Frankford are Potterfield names for his stuff.
Wonder if poor sales of his press wewre the reason for its demise? It was an aluminum frame with no priming capability. Not saying it was a bad press, just a bit different. Hmmm.
Looks like I will need to get one for the collection.
Ken

03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Pressman,
Was waiting for your input. Figured you must have one.

bearcove
03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Smart reloader press was in graf's sale flier I believe.

rwnielsen
07-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Battenfield and Frankford are Potterfield names for his stuff.
Wonder if poor sales of his press wewre the reason for its demise? It was an aluminum frame with no priming capability. Not saying it was a bad press, just a bit different. Hmmm.
Looks like I will need to get one for the collection.
Ken

There's one on eBay right now, new, in box [smilie=s:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Midway-Ammuniton-Reload-Press-Box-Accessories-/270604666145?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f014b8521

Hardcast416taylor
07-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Well the press sold for $51 on Flea Bay, a long way from $100 new.Robert

Crash_Corrigan
07-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I have one of those presses. It was a Model SS-91 by Midway. It is made of aluminium and is a decent press. I have had it for about 6 years and it is loosening up some but still gets the job done.

I keep it bolted to a wooden TV table which I put on the floor in front of my chair when I am watching TV. I can decapp cases or resize and decap or even prime cases while watching TV. You would be surprised how much work you can get done during the commercials.

This is also the press I use for my BPCR reloading and for my .30 cal rifles and 8 MM Mauser.

There is no provision for a priming operation on this press. However I have Lee priming system that works pretty good on this and it has primed thousands of cases over the years.

I would not buy another one as this one is getting a loosey goosey and I need to be careful when I am stuffing boolits into the cases as far as alignment. It does need careful lubrication and may need some new pins and such to tighten it up.

When I finally decide to retire it I will probably go with the Lee Classic Turret Press that I have now for future operations. Although I imagine that it will always be good enuf to decapp fired cases.

I paid about $80 for it new from Midway and it was worth the money. I could have spent another $40 and got a Rockchucker and have been better off.

buck1
07-26-2010, 01:01 AM
That is not the smart reloader junk I got. Might be allright..Buck