PDA

View Full Version : Titanium?

bigdog454
03-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Ok! fellas lets see how smart you are and if you can give me some logical answer on this.

I have come across some 3/4 inch by 3 foot long rods that are supposed to be titanium, I don't know what grade etc. but they are non magnetic, light weight, have the blue haze shine of titanium, and have set outside in the snow and rain all winter and no rust.
Question? Is there any way to find out what the grade is? and how can they be heat treated? The rods are in annealed state right now and can be machined, but they machine very strange, compared to any other metals that I have worked with.
Any Ideas welcome?
BD

ANeat
03-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Probably no easy way to know 100% for sure if its not marked.

The internet is your friend when it comes to fining out stuff....

Not all titanium alloys are heat treatable, so you may try whatever method they use to heat treat titanium and see how it reacts. That would narrow it down some

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_alloy

Storydude
03-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Take to a local scrapyard with a metal gun.

And then be amazed at what they are worth.

bigdog454
03-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks Storydude, I'll do that. I did look up what new is worth and am still in shock. They wanted $68.00 per foot.

andremajic
03-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Titanium rods are great for a permanent anodizing setup. All you'd have to invest in now would be some aluminum wire, a battery charger, some camping coolers, and hydrochloric acid.

Titanium is perfect for anodising setups because it won't corrode like aluminum rods do.