PDA

View Full Version : easy disc punch upgrade

edsmith
03-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I added a check forming part to the disc punch,just fooling around,I am going to make one in .452 but I will use 2 3/8" pieces of cold rolled steel, it will be easier to make.that way all the milling can be made on the lower piece.

edsmith
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
the punched disc slides into place in slot.

edsmith
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
oops,heres disc in place

rbuck351
03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Oh, do I want a milling machine. Nice work. I really like seeing different minds at work on the same project.

Matt3357
03-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Dang thats a good idea. My biggest thing with these is that punching the circle and forming the check are two different steps. Your design reminds me a lot of how a star sizer works. If only there was a way to punch and form in one step these things could be designed for mass production of checks.

Matt

edsmith
03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I am working on a press punch and former,one stroke,the easy part is punching and forming in one stroke,the hard part is getting the check to eject by its self. i think I can do it but I have to get a belt drive kit for my mill, I just wrecked the gears in my mill. grizzly mini mill.on paper it looks good,but it don't allways turn out like I thought is should.:) I like to see what others are doing, it gives me the chance to steal ideas. yea,I know,i'm a dirty rat. :)

snowman
03-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm also having difficulty getting the check to eject off my forming punch. A lot of it has to do with the material I am using however, it's not very ductile.

Instead of trying to push the material through a hole, you should be able to form the check by simply pushing it into a piece of urethane, which should also do away with the ejection difficulty.

This is a similar idea, but the durometer is too light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuV-nIc3oO4

rbuck351
03-10-2010, 12:33 AM
one thing I find that helps is if you don't try to get the sides of the check straight up but leave the side tapered out just a little. They fit on the boolit easier and the H die fits them to the boolit just as well. Might not work with Lee push through though.

maddog2020
03-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I want one for my B-day