PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my Lyman Turbo 1200

doubs43
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
After more than 25 years of service, my Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler began to make more noise than usual and finally quit altogether.

It quickly became apparent that Lyman didn't construct it with maintenance in mind but I could see from below that the motor had moved down and was gumming up the works. I removed the four nuts and star washers that held the motor to the base but the bottom is sealed. I couldn't get to anything.

Finally I cut the bottom out, a matter of snipping the small attaching arms. Then I was able to tighten a post that had worked loose and reassemble the motor to the base. I adjusted the tub attaching stem for the proper vibration and tightened it down.

Now it's smoother and quieter than it's been in a long time. I don't imagine I'll get another 10 years out of it but even a couple would be nice.

mtgrs737
03-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I got one of those when they first came out many years ago. Mine is on it's fifth motor. This last motor I put in was one I got from RCBS for their vibartory tumbler as the bolt pattern was the same. If you do go the RCBS route you need to request a new fan blade as the new shaft is slightly smaller on the Chinese made RCBS replacement motor than the original USA made Lyman unit of years past. I realize that motor is still working but the day will come when your motor will go to little bitty motor heaven and the RCBS unit is reasonabley priced at around $15 plus shipping and Lyman will offer to sell you a complete base unit for $30 plus shipping.

lead-1
03-10-2010, 03:49 AM
I got ten years or more out of my used 2200 and it had the base repaired when I got it. The shaft mount broke locking it up and I reaired it with some epoxy and got a couple more years out of it, it finally gave up the ghost for good, I got more than my moneys worth out of that tumbler.

doubs43
03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
mtgrs737 has a good idea. I hadn't considered replacing the motor if it goes. I did check the cost of a new 1200 and Mid-South has them for $45 which isn't bad considering how long they last.

But, my generation was too close to the Depression to throw away anything that can be made to function again. :)