PDA

View Full Version : Question about long eye relief scopes.

2ndAmendmentNut
03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Not sure where to put this, so feel free to move.

Need a scope that will work out on the barrel of my rifle. Looks like the eye relief will be something around 12“~14” Will a pistol scope work on a rifle, or had I better just go with a long eye relief scope? I am thinking of going with a Leupold brand scope based on multiple great experiences with their other scopes. I am open to suggestions on other scopes as well.

chickenstripe
03-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Go with the leupold long eye relief scope, which is referred to as a scout scope.

Pistol scopes require a longer relief than what you have.

Rocky Raab
03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
No argument with checkenstripe at all.

If you go the scout rifle route with a pistol scope, be SURE to not get a scope over about 2.5X and less is better. The whole point of the scout scope is that both your eyes will see the same picture, but will have a reticle "floating" over the target. It's a great system, but too much magnification messes with your brain and you end up closing or squinting the left eye - and negating the original concept entirely.

rob45
03-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Go with the leupold long eye relief scope, which is referred to as a scout scope.

Pistol scopes require a longer relief than what you have.

+1 on the scout scope!

For most manufacturers, the "scout" models are also designated as IER, as in intermediate eye relief, whereas pistol scopes tend to be designated LER, long eye relief.

If you use a typical "pistol" scope on your rifle, the scope would likely need to be mounted extremely far forward to obtain the proper picture, unless you're dealing with a variable set at higher magnification, in which case the higher magnification usually reduces the eye relief.

Some compromise on this by using a pistol scope anyways, but I prefer the proper tool for the job if it's available.

NVcurmudgeon
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
A most useful question and answer on a subject I've long wondered about.

Ken, is it time for an "optics" forum for exploring the mysteries of scopes, binoculars, spotting scopes, and range finders yet?

MtGun44
03-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Burris and Leopold make good scout scopes. I have had success with pistol scopes
mounted forward on milsurps using the rear sight base for the mount attach point.
Less than perfect due to a kind of small eye location tolerance, but they do work well
enough to permit ammo testing and even hunting if you aren't looking to hit running game.
I find it difficult to justify putting a $350 scope on a $125 rifle, and can't afford to do it
to very many of my milsurps. The $40 Chinese 2-7X pistol scopes have worked OK for
me as long as they are not "for serious" but just for fun shooting and the price is
commensurate to the rifles that they are put on.

Bill

mike in co
03-09-2010, 03:19 PM
yep not a pistol scope.......

based on input from memebers i hav now 3 of the ncstar 2-7 ler scopes..
two nice scope mounts from s&k, and two rifles that need testing.
one is a finn 28/30 and one is an all matching '96 swede.

i like the idea of 7x for ammo testing.....much better than a std 2-3x scout scope.

one can then turn the powder down for thier choice of shooting. for me we hold "sniper" matches for vintage rifles twice a year and up to a 4x scope is allowed..so i just set it at 4x and have fun.

now if a name maker produced the same scope i'd buy...but they aint there..or i have not found them.

mike in co

sleeper1428
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Depending on how much eye relief you need, you might want to check out the Bushnell Banner scopes that have a 6" eye relief. I put one of these on my 45/70 Ruger #1 using a regular Ruger mount at the front and an offset Ruger mount on the rear, the combination giving me just the right amount of eye relief for this particular rifle. So far the Bushnell has handled the relatively heavy recoil from the 45/70 with full power loads without any problems and since I'm now working on lighter - and thus much more pleasant shooting loads - for this rifle, I don't forsee any future problems.

Six inches of eye relief may well not be sufficient for your milsurp weapons but I just thought I'd mention these reasonably well made and relatively inexpensive scopes to you.

sleeper1428