PDA

View Full Version : questions about bore slugging

leas327
03-08-2010, 02:42 AM
I am new to casting and went downstairs to slug the bore of a couple of s&w .357 I have. I used a couple of soft .358 bullets to push through the bores. I noticed a couple of things I need a little help with.

When I slugged my kimber 1911 barrel it had a definate measurable area that was the largest diameter. Not so with the smiths, the highest spots were very small to measure with a mircometer then it would taper off rapidly down to about .352. I am going to guess that is the difference in how each company cuts their rifling.

With the 627pc the largest dia. I could measure was .3555 on one spot and .356 on another. The slug that went through the barrel would kind of slide into the chambers but drop out when I put light pressure on it. From what I have read thats good. So I am thinking sizing to .357 would be good for it.

The other gun was a 586. It took a lot more force to get the slug through but when I measured it the largest spot was .357. That slug also had a lot more defined grooves cut in it. Its slug went through the chambers with almost no pressure at all. So it would seem that it would need a .358 sizer.

Now I have heard that the performance center guns had different rifling because the barrels are made by wather. Since it seemed to take less effort to slug the 627 do you all think it will be alright to just size all my bullets to .358.

dubber123
03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
S&W's can be tricky to measure, due to the odd number of grooves. I have slugged several of mine lately, and .356ish seems to be the norm. The more important measurement is what the cylinder throats are. Tap a slug through the throats, and measure that. .358" works on the last 4 S&W's I slugged. On 4 out of 5, I noticed a tight spot right where the barrel threads into the frame. I have fixed 2 so far. Good luck.

mooman76
03-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I'd go with 358 myself so you don't have to keep track which bullet goes where.