PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 and 308 win ideas and help?

indymadcaster
03-08-2010, 01:25 AM
:lovebooli

i now have a bunch of .312 sized RCBS 130gr GC spire point and the Lee c312-155-2r wheelweight alloy sweetened with 2% 50/50 solder, Both have been oven heat treated @ 455 degrees in a convection oven for 1.5 hours and water quenched (approx 28 hardness) i sized ASAP with lanolin and seated my gas checks now i want to lube them, I want to shoot approx 2300fps with the 130gr and 1950-2050 fps with the 155gr in my SKS for service level loads, Now can i get by with alox/beeswax 50/50 ? or LLA ? or felix? or one of white labels lubes? I have a 4500 and no i am not sizing just lubing. and i will start with reduced loads with these bullets in my 308 win also, I talked to a hornady tech about subsituting .311 diam jacketed and he said they did some 308 win tests with a .311 dia bullets and it was on average 1 grain lower charge when used in place of 308 dia bullets.
guidiance is appreciated!!!!!
indy mad caster

Buckshot
03-08-2010, 03:36 AM
............You won't have any problem with .311" cast in a .308" grooved 30 cal provided the chamber will allow the caseneck to release the slug, and/or the throat will accept the fatter boolit. So far as the SKS goes, I have nothing of real substance to offer. I bought a Romanian SKS way back in the dim past and tried shooting with the Lee C314-155-2R using powder charges I'd worked up for my small ring Mauser chambered in 7.62x39.

These all ran at or over 2,000 fps. Nothing special or different was done except to size the boolit's .314" and the cases to accept the fatter slugs (the Mauser has a .308" barrel) for the SKS. While none of the loads produced groups you'd cut out and carry around in your wallet, I WAS amazed that each 10 round group DID hit the target at 50 yards and none appeared 'wild'. Had I really spent time, effort and thought on them the results might have been a bit disappointing. However I hadn't, but used loads generated for an entirely different rifle. There was no evidence of tumbleing, the action cycled as if full powered jacketed ammo was being fired, and at home I found no leading.

The above leads me to believe that my SKS would probably do pretty well with cast while functioning the action if I did some thoughtfull and intelligent load workup. The above was done at least 8 years ago, so you can see I'm not one to rush headlong into something :-) There are others on the board who HAVE spent quality time with their SKS's and have generated good useable results.

...............Buckshot

blaster
03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I run the same alloy with the TLC-312-160-2r quenched with good results. I just use a double tumble lube of lla and don't have any leading. You might want to slug the barrel on your sks. There can be a lot of variation in those comblock barrels. My romy ak is right at .312 so I seat my checks with a .314 sizer. I don't run mine as hard as you are planning though. I use 2400 and probably get 16-1700fps.

Leftoverdj
03-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Nothing to it. No more problems than any other cast bullet project. I did my load workup in a scoped CZ 527 using waterquenced WW+2% GCed and sized in a .314 die which was very, very slightly larger than the as cast bullets. Very quickly met my goal of 2 MOA. Don't have my notes handy, but was struck by the fact that with H-4198 and slower the right charge was all I could get in the case. I settled on H-322 as giving the best combination of accuracy and velocity.

I don't like throwing my expensive cases in the bushes so all I did with my Norinco SKS was fire about 20 rounds to check for function and lack of leading. Accuracy testing would not have meant much because my eyes can no longer cope with those iron sights and that short sight radius. Within those limits, it shot to point of aim at 50 yards.

Tried the same bullets sized to .311 in my CZ 550 in .308 Win. Did not do any serious development, but got inch 50 yard groups when I pushed them to 2200 fps with some milsurp that seems to be in H335 range.

Used Felix lube for all this because that's what I had in my sizer, but would expect NRA formula to work since these loads are not extreme.