PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block Action....

klausg
06-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey gang-

After all the help I've received on other subjects, and reading the "...action gathering dust..." thread, I thought I'd post this one and see if you guys are able to help me come to a decision. First the action is an original smokeless one, not sure which army it was made for, but the original chambering was 7mm. I'm trying to figure out what caliber to re-barrel to, (orig. barrell is shot and it was an SRC so really short). I'd like to keep the saddle ring, (acccording to my nephew "It's cool"), so I think a long barrel would look a little strange, I'm thinking 22-26". So what caliber...my thoughts

a) .45-70- cheap, available brass, lots of data, but, everybody has one. Not quite 'nifty' enough

b) .38-55/.375 Win- with two .375 H&H's in the collection already, do I really need another .375? Also this doesn't give me an excuse to buy more moulds, of course this could also be a plus.[smilie=1:

c) .40-65- sorta what I'm leaning towards, definitely has the 'nifty' factor, I can't find that much data

d) .50-70- definitely historically correct, not sure if I want to smack my shoulder that much, lack of lighter boolits.

I know that I'm missing a plethora of cartridges, if so feel free to flame me if I missed your favorite. I'd also like the option of loading smokeless, dealing with fouling in the winter up here is no fun; when it's -20, nothing stays soft. I'm not planning on getting into any competition shoots. Final question:

e) favorite barrel makers...I've been doing a little shopping and Green Mountain is fairly cheap, (and I don't have to pay someone to turn it into an octagonal), are these good barrels?

Thanks much
-Klaus

onceabull
06-27-2006, 06:36 PM
klausg: do the 40-65,use a barrel w/twist fast enough to stabilize some of the heavier stuff.. report results for those of us still gathering pieces..:roll: onceabull--I'm starting with the moulds !!

Dale53
06-27-2006, 08:44 PM
klausg;
>>>Green Mountain is fairly cheap, (and I don't have to pay someone to turn it into an octagonal), are these good barrels?<<<

I know several good shooters who really like their Green Mountain barrels.

I have put several thousand rounds through my two 40/65's and suggest that this is a "user friendly" cartridge. Since it is based on the .45/70 case, cases are no problem. If you are going to use Black Powder, I suggest Winchester cases as first choice and Remington second (Federal and Starline cases do not have enough volume). However, for smokeless use, use whichever case is most readily available. This case works just fine with smokeless, also. If you are going to be shooting long range, (five hundred and up) I recommend a 1/16" twist and bullets in the 400+ grs weight. Bullets as light as 300 grs shoot really well, so having a 16" twist is NOT a liability for "light bullets" and is a plus for heavy for the caliber bullets.

Dale53

shooter575
06-27-2006, 11:24 PM
You ever consider reboring or relining? Keeps the same looks outside.We did a thread on this here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6739

klausg
06-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the replies, looks like 40-65 is the winner. Not that I'm thinking of getting this all done anytime soon, but will definitely keep you all updated on the project and more importantly the results,

shooter575-the original barrel exterior looks like someone soaked it & the fore stock/handguard in salt water for around a month and then left it alone for around a year. I mean it's got pits in it that would swallow the Grand Canyon, really, really shot. I appreciate the idea, it's just not plausible in this instance.

Thanks again guys, take care

-Klaus

wills
06-28-2006, 06:51 PM
BPCR tends to be dominated by Green Mountain and Badger.
http://www.badgerbarrelsinc.com/

KCSO
06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I will try and find the photo's of one like this that I used a GPC Buffalo Hunter kit on. Not only did it look good, but that cheap Numerich barrel shot like a hous afire. B/P loads into 8" groups at 300 yards. Like a fool I traded it to a guy at work so I could get an eytie Sharps that didn't shoot half as good.

Buckshot
06-29-2006, 03:30 AM
.................The 40-65 is a fine cartridge and easy to load. I have a RB in that flavor. However I'd also recommend the 30-40 as a possibility. Remington produced a #5 Sporter and one of the cartridges offered was the good ole 30 US Gubmint. It was a nice looking rifle and utilized that same action.

..............Buckshot

WBH
10-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I am not a fan of smokeless in the old RB rifles. I guess I like the nostalgia factor. I do have a 50-70 that won't shoot worth a damn with smokeless, but is super accurate with BP (Swiss). If shooting smokeless, I would opt for a cartridge that is a proven smokeless performer.

On the subject of Green Mountain barrels....All my restored RB's have GM barrels with the "cut rifling". They make both types of barrels.

Good luck with your restoration project.

Boz330
10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
40-65 mine shoots quite well with smokeless although I don't use it that way much. And you can sure stoke it if you want since it was originally a smokeless action. Deffinately go with the 1-16 barrel.

Bob