PDA

View Full Version : 30 30 reduced loads

Hammer47
03-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Want to shoot some cast out of a Marlin 30/30 at paper targets at 200 meters max. What do you recommend for a load with the following parameters in mind. Top accuracy and low recoil. I will need accuracy of close to 1.5 moa. Is this doable?...........Regards... Gary

Nobade
03-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Depends on the rifle. If it is capable of 1.5 MOA with anything, you should be able to do what you want. There are lots of ways to get there, a whole raft of fast burning/easily ignited powders to choose from, and many bullet designs. My own 30-30 bolt gun loves #311041 and a case full (uncompressed) of Trail Boss. It also shoots well with Green Dot and AA#2. .75 MOA is easy at 100M with it, 1 MOA at 200M if the wind is calm. The first thing is to figure out what bullet fits your particular chamber and throat, and start working from there.

ktw
03-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I have a plain based 120 gr Round-Flat bullet (Willbird Group Buy) that I like to load over 7.5 gr Unique in the 30-30. I use if for cheap, high volume, informal off hand practice and plinking. Can't say how well it would hold a group at 200 yards.

-ktw

wiljen
03-07-2010, 05:11 PM
The little RCBS Carbine boolit (115gr GC RN) killed 2 deer this last fall at about 1300fps powered by Rex III. Makes a great light load very little more recoil than a 22lr out of a Win 94.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-08-2010, 01:24 AM
I would suggest the RD 311165 boolit designed for the Marlin...the molds are being run again now if you go to the group buy section....they are hard to beat in any lever....there are lots of loads out there for this boolit....work up your favorite load, check the threads and you can also google Marlin Owners for lots more info...good luck

rhead
03-08-2010, 07:12 AM
The Lee 150 gr FP pushed by 14.5 gr of H4227 shoots just under 1 moa from my rifle at 100 yards. I have not tried it at 200. Unique and 2400 also work well for this application. By no means the only powders that will work well for this job but they are the ones I stack and can speak for. I was somewhat restricted by requiring the same point of impact for the lowpower load using the top of the heavy duplex part of the verticle crosshair as the full power load gives using the regular portion of the cross hair.

helice
03-08-2010, 08:58 PM
You guys are amazing. I have a heck of a time getting 2 to 3 minute groups with my 94 Winchester. What in blazes are y'all shooting?

JSH
03-08-2010, 09:31 PM
G, you may have your work cut out for you.
IMHO, a TC 30-30 would have a better/easier go at it.
I don't know who to point you too, as far as getting bullets. For the most part the CB's one buys in the store are made more for selling than shooting. Fit is every thing. 1.5 MOA will be more the exception than the rule at 200 I am thinking.
My thoughts are a full case of a slow burning powder, as long as you can get it all to burn. You have forgotten more than I know on working loads with some of the milsurps and the fast burners.
Bullet........ that is a tough one if you are not casting and sizing your own. I have bought some in the past that were supposed to be top notch, they were culls by my standards. I don't know which way to point you. I have not had the lead pot fired up in over a year so I am of no help there. I have shot very little in the past couple of years, but still packing home and swapping a few long guns. Trying to trade my way into a Sharps. Why in the "H" I want to do that is beyond me, as most matches for those are about a 2 hour drive for the closest one.
jeff

Tristan
03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
The Lee 150 gr FP pushed by 14.5 gr of H4227 shoots just under 1 moa from my rifle at 100 yards. I have not tried it at 200. Unique and 2400 also work well for this application. By no means the only powders that will work well for this job but they are the ones I stack and can speak for. I was somewhat restricted by requiring the same point of impact for the lowpower load using the top of the heavy duplex part of the verticle crosshair as the full power load gives using the regular portion of the cross hair.

Rhead -

I'm considering getting that mold. What diameter does your mold throw? What alloy?

Do you know what the velocity of this load is?

Thanks!

sargenv
03-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Yeah, not sure how they get that kind of accuracy with a Marlin.. ;)

I get Minute of 8" plate at 50 yards offhand, which is really all I need.. I could probably find something better, but it's good enough for what I use it for.. which is informal plinking. :) My load is 165 FP with 8.5 of Trail Boss using Winchester Large pistol primers.

03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
While I'm a "cold, dead hands" Winchester guy I'll be the first to admit the modern, including the 336, Marlins will usually outshoot the Winchesters. Getting 1.5 MOA is a different critter tho. Out to 200 yds, (or meters if I need to sound European :) ) will be a challenge. You might slug the bore to make sure then size a Lyman 311041 to .001 larger than groove and load over minimal or light charges of Reloader 7, IMR 4198 or 5744. Use a light roll crimp. Over doing the crimp can hurt accuracy- all you want is enough of the mouth rolled down behind the rear edge of the front band to prevent the bullet from jamming deeper upon recoil while in the magazine. One thing to tinker with is bullet hardness. Try 12 BHN then try 15 then up to 20 BHN or so. By going in steps, studying results and changing only one thing at a time you may be able to approach 1.5 MOA. Also, a dedicated "Marlin-type" bullet may be something to try.

jlchucker
03-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Didn't Harry Pope get groups like what are being sought here while using a 32-40? If I recall, Harry used very carefully prepared handloads, placed into his rifle with extreme precision, and he was using black powder.

03-09-2010, 08:33 PM
That'd be a trick.... getting a Harry Pope type load to work in a lever repeater :roll:

rhead
03-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Rhead -

I'm considering getting that mold. What diameter does your mold throw? What alloy?

Do you know what the velocity of this load is?

Thanks!

The as cast dia is .312. sized to ,310. I have removed the gas check shank on this mold. The velocity is around the 1450 to 1500 range. Never cared enough to run it over the chrony.

1 moa from a Marlin? Marlin owned NEF during the time that my rifle was made.;) My 3 Marlins 336s are good but not quite that good. Even being fired single shot.

Whit Spurzon
03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I shoot silhouettes out to 200 yards with my 300 pushing the Ranch Dog 165gr bullet to 1450 fps with Unique or SR4756. Very accurate load in my Marlins