PDA

View Full Version : couple questions on some molds I just bought

James
03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I bought one lot of 8 molds yesterday. Two of them a 225415 and a 280412 appear to be hollow point molds. However I didn't get the tools to make the hollow points.

First question. Where can i get the hollow point tools for these molds?

Second question. The cavities on a couple of the molds have a little bit of rust in them. What is the best way to clean them up?

And last. Did Ideal ever make a one piece mold? One of the molds I got a 228367 is a one piece mold. Not sure if someone made this or if it was factory made by Ideal.

Oh and also included was one half of three different molds, What do you do with these? can anyone use them?

mooman76
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Check with Buckshot here. He can turn a mould into a HP for you so I'm sure he can do the pins or you can see if the manufacturer has them. They should if the moulds arent too old.

If by one piece you mean the handles are permanently attached, yes they did. What to do about the rust depends on how much. If it's light rust you can use a pencil and go over it and it will remove it. Don't go sanding on it or anything like that if it is worse than just rubbing off. You could lap the mould some.

For the half moulds, I think would make good paper weights, don't know much else unless someone has the other half.

BCall
03-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Buckshot has made HP pins for a couple of molds I got that didn't have them. I can't speak highly enough of his work.

If by one piece mold, you mean one with the handles built in, then yes, Ideal made them as one unit. That 228367 was meant for the 22 Savage hp. You see them around occassionally.

The mold halves are probably not worth anything other than a decoration. Billy

stubshaft
03-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Oh and also included was one half of three different molds, What do you do with these? can anyone use them?

Sell them on flea-bay as "Collectable Salesman Samples".:kidding: