PDA

View Full Version : How many rifles do you have you've never shot?

Pages : [1] 2

Heavy lead
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
I usually have at least one rifle hanging around I just had to have, but haven't shot. I took a look this morning and I've got 5 at the moment, I was astounded, stupid thing is I have handload development all started on all of them but one, just never pulled the trigger.
Weatherby Mark V Ultralite 30-06, brand new had to buy, it was a steal.
Kimber 8400 300 WSM, same reason as above.
Remington 700 BDL .338 Winchester Magnum, see above.
Winchester 94 .30-30 ranger, ditto, first .30-30 I ever owned.
Winchester 70 Featherweight, new one made in NC, again see above, this one I haven't started any handloads for yet, but it is scoped and ready to go.

So how many do you have unshot?

ktw
03-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Only one; a Pre64 Winchester 94 in 32 Win Special. Have had it a little over a year. Or has it been two...? Have too many other irons in the fire to get started on that one.

-ktw

fishhawk
03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
well have shot them all at one time or another, maybe you should have added not shot in 5 years or more also? got some that havn't been shot in 20 years! (i know my bad) steve k

mooman76
03-07-2010, 03:30 PM
I know I have at least one rifle and one pistol. I'm afraid to look because I will probably find more. I usually make it a point to shoot right away but one is and 7.7 Arisaki because I didn't get ammo right away, never shot and also a 38 S&W that I don't have ammo for either but it is in questionable shape. I bought it because it was cheap and a break top action. (looks like a cap gun).

357maximum
03-07-2010, 04:05 PM
ZERO

Having am unused toy violates alot of my rules of fiscal and mental sensibility. :bigsmyl2:

{EDIT}
I remembered the jazail hanging on the wall. It is old and scary and has a square bore....I ain't ever gonna shoot it. It is a dust collector/conversation starter.

Beekeeper
03-07-2010, 04:32 PM
About 20 of them
Most are antiques and I am not sure I should fire them but intend to shoot some of the ( witha lanyard and furniture blanket) this year and the rest next year.

Jim

6pt-sika
03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
About 20 of them
Most are antiques and I am not sure I should fire them but intend to shoot some of the ( witha lanyard and furniture blanket) this year and the rest next year.

Jim

We have one old original 36 caliber Pennsylvania halfstock rifle that was made about 1840-1850 . We have owned that rifle for well over 30 years . I just got around to shooting it for the first time last summer 8-)

As far as all rifles go counting the original Civil War rifled muskets it's a good many . But when you count the cartridge guns it's atleast 5 maybe a couple more !

Have 5 Ruger #1's I've yet to shoot since we got them !
Also a Mannlicher Schoenauer 8x56MS and a Jap Arisaka 6.5mm I recently inherited from my maternal grandfather (have dies , brass and bullets already for the Arisaka).

badgeredd
03-07-2010, 08:06 PM
I said none then remembered a Springfield from the Civil War that my ancestor carried. It has been handed down thru the years and butchered along the way. I am perfectly comfortable NOT shooting it...kinda figure it is not safe to do so.

Also I have 3 revolvers that I've never fired. Collectable...but I suspect that will change this summer. I may as well enjoy them and hang the so called collector value.

Edd

69daytona
03-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I have 16 rifles at last count and shoot them all, kind of like my old cars, they all get thier turn sooner or later.

Charlie Sometimes
03-07-2010, 08:33 PM
One, at the moment. That will be resolved as soon as I get loads developed.
This never happens to me, as I usually shoot them right after I get them, and always try to get a box of ammo with a "new" one. None available at the time, so it didin't happen this time.

I will vote NONE, as that is my usual status.

45nut
03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Back when I had a job,, way way back now,, whenever I saw a deal,, I bought for those times in the future I would have no income and needed cash OR a "new to me" rifle to wring out.
Very glad I did.

largom
03-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Same as 45nut, can't pass up a deal on rifles or loading equipment. Have 2 Rockchuckers plus 4 other presses but while at an auction today bought another Rockchucker for $30.00. I have bought many guns for no other reason than they were cheap. Also have collectable's that I won't shoot.

Larry

two dogs
03-07-2010, 09:57 PM
currently 40 soon 41 soon as the barrel is screwed on

Mk42gunner
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
One. A cut down trapdoor that has a very deep rear sight dovetail that is about fifteen degrees off plumb.

Robert

yondering
03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Zero for me. I'm too much like a little kid with a new toy. Most of my aquisitions get fired the day I receive them. Sometimes even if it's dark. :shock:

Only reason I wouldn't shoot a gun is if there's something wrong with it, so it either doesn't work, or firing it would cause damage beyond normal use. I ain't in to beanie babies.

jhrosier
03-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I have better than a half dozen that I have not got around to shooting yet.
I had two jobs and went back to college eves for a few years so I had extra cash but no time to shoot.
I bought a bunch of lever action rifles and some excellent condition military bolt actions.
The decision to stock up on Winchesters just before they went out of business seems to have been a good one as they have all doubled or more in value since.[smilie=w:

Now I can go to the gun vault and pick out a "new" gun every so often, as I please.
I'm not in any big hurry to try them all out the same day.

Jack

Three44s
03-08-2010, 01:00 AM
I voted none and that's true so far as weapons that work ...........

But one gun resides here that I have not fired ....... it's stock is broken from before I came by it ...... a Trap Door Springfield that's been in our ranching family for generations ........

One of these days, I'll rectify this!

Three 44s

stubshaft
03-08-2010, 01:23 AM
I have shot all of them. In fact I have hunted and taken at least one animal with all of them including a WWII Krieghoff Custom Mannlicher with full engraving and silver floorplate that was presented to a German Fighter Pilot by Goering.

I am not a collector but have many friends who are.

To each their own.

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2010, 07:38 AM
ive got 3 of them that ive aquired this winter and have loaded a bunch of ammo for but am waiting for the snow to go and a bit warmer weather.

winelover
03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
I shoot them as soon as I get them!

Winelover

10-x
03-08-2010, 09:21 AM
This is a "loaded" question, not going to shoot any of the 18th & 19th century muzzel loaders nor the very low number RIA 03 Springfield. All modern ones have been shot , including 2 last Saturday. :cbpour:

44fanatic
03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Didnt vote cause mine is a shotgun...old double barrel Ithica that was my grandfathers. It has a sticky hammer and plenty of rust on it. Waitin on that perfect whitetail to mount so that I can hang this shotgun in the antlers.

Aaron
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
More than five...

Ruger RSM 416 Rigby
Ruger 10/22
Browning 1886 45/70
Marlin converted to 50 Alaskan
Benelli 1014-Ok it's a shotgun, but I counted it nayway
Rock River 458 SOCOM

That's all off the top of my head

GT27
03-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I would never own one I didn't intend to shoot,prize collector me not...

Hip's Ax
03-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I was surprised how many when I counted. I'll shoot them all eventually. My heavy match schedule provides little time for fun shooting. So many rifles, so little time. :veryconfu

BruceB
03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
New acquisitions (that is, new to me) rarely get past sunset of the day of arrival without being fired. If there is a delay, it's only the wait until my next day off.

It's a tough regimen, but someone has to do it.... I am blessed with "open" winters, which makes it easier. Not necessarily warm, you understand, but not snowed-in, either.

kingstrider
03-08-2010, 09:37 PM
I currently have 3, a Marlin 70HC, T/C 22 Classic and Henry .22 lever action. All are for sale come to think of it, I'm overloaded with rimfires..

izzyjoe
03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
i bought a mauser action just for the action to rebarrel to .257 rob. it has a model 70 win. barrel in 280 rem. on it now. i don't care for a 280rem. so someday it will get a new barrel. and i have some other long guns i bought for parts that i'll never shoot. :cbpour:

03-09-2010, 12:41 AM
none, i love to shoot rifles...

well don't let me lie here I just picked up a Savage BTV at an amazing price doesn't have a scope on it yet so no shooting. so sheepishly I must say 1

NickSS
03-09-2010, 06:17 AM
I really do not know the number but I can think of 5 or 10 that I have never fired for one reason or another. I can think of another 10 or 20 that I shoot reall seldom but I can think of 50 or so that I shoot all the time so I guess thats the reason some get left to sit and wait till my mood changes and I change what I am shooting. I have a real problem in that I can not find anything that either I don't have or had at one time in gun stores so it is boring to visit them for me.

Southern Son
03-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Whoops. Misread the question, I only have one I ain't banged yet, and I bought that for the action.

missionary5155
03-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Good morning
Growing up there were no Safe Queens. It was either a shooting or hunting tool or it was never a consideration. I have no use for objects sitting about "Looking Pretty".
I have not yet bought a rifle or pistol without first considering if is it shootable. I will do what needs done to make it shoot acurately or it gets moved along.

no34570
03-12-2010, 04:54 AM
I've got one that I have not shot yet,a 7mm Rem Mag Howa 1500 rifle.
Just not had the time too shoot it yet or my other 16 rifles(they have been shot)

thenaaks
03-14-2010, 01:07 PM
none...had a browning b-92 in 357 that i felt bad shooting because it was too pretty. sold it for more than double what i paid for it and bought powder and primers! if i had an antique that was questionable, i might keep it in the safe...otherwise shoot 'em!

snowwolfe
03-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Couple of 300 Win Mags, two .22 mags, one .338, one .458. three .22's, one AR 15 and one S&W 41 that just came in. All are new. May be more but that is all I can think of at the moment.

DLCTEX
03-25-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm not wealthy enough to afford safe queens. We all have to pull our weight around here. I have bought and traded for a very few that I didn't shoot in the past, but they quickly were moved for filthy lucre.

Ed Barrett
03-25-2010, 03:53 AM
I have had afew that I sold before I got I got any ammo loaded up for them. Any gun I buy I intend to shoot, I like "pretty" guns but I like "pretty" guns that shoot well much more. Any that I can't get to shoot well usually go down the road. I have 2 safes now and my wife says I can't get another safe.

Four Fingers of Death
03-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I got more safes than most people got guns. I have a heap I haven't got around to firing cause my buying has been in full swing for a long while and my range and hunting time have been suffering a bit of late. I'll get there. There are guns that haven't been shot, but all my guns are shooters as far as I'm concerned. I have shot all my pistols save one, a brand new Ruger Old Army (clean up guns) I got a pair, one is great, the other one locked up the moment I started to cock it to do a safety check. I carefully pulled it apart and reassembled it and it did it again. I haven't had time to check it since.

jlchucker
03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
None. I buy them to shoot, not to look at or to show off.

PULSAR
03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Isaphore Lee Enfield in 308 old 8 mm mauser of unkown vintage and a mini14 series180 that I inherited

jimb16
03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I have one that I've never shot. But I'm not sure that it counts. I recently inherited it and simply haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet.

longhorn
03-30-2010, 07:26 PM
I finally voted "none," but I will admit I had to go open the safe and check!

excavman
04-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I shoot everthing I've got at least once a year. I have a 250 yd range back of the house. If it'll shoot it's a gun, if it won't it's a club.

Elkins45
04-10-2010, 11:05 PM
I only have one--a Winchester model 70 classic (pre 64 reissue) left-hand with a walnut stock. I keep meaning to get a beater stock fitted so I can shoot it without banging up the immaculate wood stock.

Update: now I have none.

Johnw...ski
04-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Right now I have 3, A Chilian Mauser in 7 x 57, a Remington 742 in 30-06, both were my fathers. Lastly I have a Savage 99 in 303 Savage that I have had at least 25 years but not yet fired.

I might also mention I built 3 FDH#2 rifles from the plans of Frank DeHaas, two of them I finished in 1989 a 45-70 and a .35 Whelen, I didn't fire them until 2008. Talk about sitting on the rack awhile.

John

Thecyberguy
04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I have an SKS that is still in the cosmoline that I bought 25 years ago. I have 2 other 7.62x39 that I do shoot.
I also have a 303 British that I have never shot. Bought it just because it was Excellent shape and cheap.

No real reason for NOT shooting them, Just have others that i shoot on a regular basis.
have a good 'un, Guy

lavenatti
04-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I bought a bunch of mine as an investment for retirement. Either to shoot when I get there or for some cash if I don't do as well as I hope to over the next few years. I'll say about 45....

ballistic
04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
I voted none in the poll. I always shoot any new gun within a month of two of purchase, usually within a few days.
Then after reading through the thread I realize that there is old bolt action Japanese WWII rifle from my Dad that I have never shot.
Thanks for reminding me. I will have to take that old thing out, clean it up and get it out to the range. I will also have it checked out by a gunsmith friend before firing it.
Note: It is not one of the crude late war rifles.

Crash_Corrigan
04-15-2010, 04:34 AM
I would not want them to feel neglected. My oldest rifle is a 6.5 x 55 MM Sweede that started out as a 7.92 x 57 Mauser. It was in the form of a 98/22 BRNO Mauser and although it had a great bore and was in good shape the sights were lousy and the long barrel and bad sights made me disdain it. I took it to a local gunmaker Ray Lynn here in VEgas and he rebarelled it with a Douglas Match Barrel in 6.5 x 55. He added a Buhler safety, messed with bolt, jeweled the bolt, did some magical stuff with the bottom of the action, reblued it, cut a very nice target crown on the barrel, bent the bolt, mounted my cheapo Chinese Bushnell 6x 20 x 40 MM scope on it, added a thumb hole laminated very colorful (Buckshot says it hurts his eyes) and a recoil pad and some sling swivel studs. It cost me a buncha money but does give me groups of less than 1/2" at 100 yds with J word bullets. With cast boolits and 11 grains of Unique I am getting 3/4 inch groups at 120 yds. It is a pleasure to shoot but kinda heavy to carry around but beautiful.

I have a pair of CZ rifles. One in .22 LR and the other in .223. They both have single set triggers and when used they have a trigger pull of less than a pound and are deadly accurate. The fit and finish on both rifles is really nice and I love them both. In the .22 LR I have a 453 with the Varmint Barrel. Kinda clunky but really is accurate. The .223 is a 527 FS with the delightful Mannlicher type full stock out to the end of the barrel. I mounted a small Leopold compact scope on it and it gave me great pleasure to shoot at a man sized steel target and hit it every time at 375 yds with my handloads using 55 gr J word boolits. With my cast boolits I can only achieve decent accuracy at 200 yds or less but I have high hopes for the new NOE 55 gr .224 mold which I just got recently. I love shooting the .223 as the costs are low along with the recoil and muzzle blast.

I came into a Winchester model 94 of 1929 vintage along with a Baker 12 side by side 12 gauge one day and paid $100 for both guns. The 94 is in excellent shape but had some nasty blotches on the receiver but the wood and the rest of the metal is in excellent shape. I am still working on a decent cast boolit that has some accuracy. It is a fun gun to shoot and has light recoil with the cast boolits. The Baker is a shotgun that I do not need nor really want but it came with the 30-30. I intend to cut down the 30 inch full choke barrels to about 20 inches and use this for a truck gun for those nasty ROAD RAGE INCIDENTS for which Vegas is known.

I have a SLME of the No 4 Mk 1 variety. This one was made in CAnada at Longbranch and the stock was worked over some. The sights are still good but I am having problems with keyholing cast boolits and I must make them bigger. 312 sized boolits just are not making the grade. I slugged the chamber with cerrosafe and the freebore is right at .316 so I guess I need to go to at least a .314 to see if that works. In the meantime it is shooting shotgun patterns at 25 yds and it is totally useless at any range beyond 25 feet until I make better rounds.

Then there is my favorite rifle to shoot. This is the one which I will never sell and I count on it to keep me alive WTSHTF. It is a Springfield M-1 Garand in 30-06. I have messed with cast boolits and my best results have come from paper patching 311284 boolits with computer paper. I am getting outstanding accuracy and full function with this rifle and the empties just pile up about 3 feet in front of me. The boolits achieve the amazing velocity of 1750 FPS and kicks like a .22 LR.

It needs more work but with those CMP Greek HXP surplus ammo I am hitting the gong at 300 and 440 yds with regularity. It needs a trigger job and I am proceeding with aquiring the necessary Arkansas stones for the polishing and such. I just love this old rifle. It is such fun to shoot and the history and use of the rifle in WW II and Korea make it even more fun. I may just buy a couple more of them from CMP. I paid $750 for a rifle made in 1955 and it is in excellent condition with a very decent stock and good finish on the metal. Paying a grand for a basically new rifle from the CMP stokes me and I probably will buy a few more at the $595 price for an investment as well.

I bought a globe front sight from one of our members and it makes a world of difference at long ranges. I just love the sights and ease of regulating them. I keep a card with the proper settings for my reloaded rounds and I can trust this rifle to hit the gong at any range up to 440 yds so far.

The next step is to start working with PSB fillers along with paper patching to achieve j word velocities out of cast boolits and keep the accuracy. This rifle is a joy to shoot and I really love to take it out and let it do it's thing. At present I have about 600 empty cases and about 100 clips. I also keep a few bandoliers full of HXP Greek surplus ammo with the rifle in the closet in case of WTSHTF. If I have a few spare M-1's handy I will be able to outfit a squad of my gun loving neighbors and maybe defend our neighborhood from the Mutant Zombies.

Along with the 1911 this rifle has to be the epitomy of designs by John M Browning and it will only go up in value over the years. I just love it.

My last rifle is my newest and most expensive. It is a Winchester 1895 Single Shot BCPR in 50-90 Sharps. It kicks like a Missouri Mule but is a blast to shoot. I have been forced to obtain a Limbsaver recoil pad because this thing just plain hurts to shoot with 102 gr of Swiss Black Powder. I have a BACO 695 Creedmoore mold than drops perfect boolits that group at 100 yds at less than an inch and group at less than 10" at 365 yds on a steel man sized target. I am still learning how to shoot this rifle and it certainly is capable of better groups than I can presently shoot. The brass is outrageously expensive and the loading of these huge cartridges is a new thing for me. It is a long learning curve but I am willing and I will get it done right.

I recently had a shooting buddy of mine make a shooting table which is portable and easily set up. It will allow me to shoot this shoulder buster from a standing position rather than sitting down. With a spotter with a 25 power scope behind me he can see my rounds going down range and spot the hits if the wind blows hard enuf to clear the muzzle of the gun fast. If not then all he is seeing is a large cloud of white smoke which obscures the target and boolit patch.

I can just imagine a shootout in a smokey saloon in the days gone by. By the time a few rounds have been fired in a closed room the clouds of smoke have to have been pretty much preventing any observation of potential targets etc.

My hope is to take some of these rifles out hunting. Prarie dogs in Wyoming and Idaho deserve my 6.5 x 55 and or the .223. With the recent drouth in Nevada the population of Coyotes in my area is down pretty badly. Maybe upstate some it will be better. My shooting buddy wants me to go Bison hunting with him. The costs are kinda steep and this will take a back burner to prarie dogs and Coyotes for a while.

Hope is eternal and my future is boundless.

corvette8n
04-29-2010, 04:44 PM
about 10

Matt_G
04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
If I have a few spare M-1's handy I will be able to outfit a squad of my gun loving neighbors and maybe defend our neighborhood from the Mutant Zombies.

Sounds like someone I know.
Last time he showed me the contents of his safes I counted 14 M1 Garands, 3 or 4 M1A's and 4 03A3 Springfield's.

Mumblypeg
04-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Just one. An 1859 Sharps carbine. And that's only because it's not in shape for it. However, if I could find someone that gould bring it back to life, I'd love to see it smoke.:bigsmyl2:

Four Fingers of Death
04-30-2010, 05:55 AM
It varies a bit, if you have 5 guns in your safe, you can easily be sanctiminous and say that all of your guns are shooters, etc. If you have 50-60-70-80-90 or more, you can be doing a power of shooting and still not get to use them all.

jlchucker
06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
All of a sudden one now. It's a Marlin 336, pre- safetybutton carbine in 30-30. Made I guess in the 1970's. It was in pretty good shape and the price was right. I already know how these shoot, and I bought it with the idea that down the road, after Marlin moves their operation, a gun like this will be as valuable as similar 94 Winnies in the same category are today. Then I'll sell it. Or maybe not. Maybe I'll just take it to the range later this week and see how the loads I already have made up work out of it. Then again, maybe I just need to take it deer hunting this season.

Beaverhunter2
06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
IMO A rifle that hasn't been shot is like a lover that hasn't been kissed (i.e. What are you waiting for?). I also keep ammo on hand for every weapon I own. As I tell me wife, "A gun without ammunition is just a poorly-designed club."

John

casterofboolits
06-09-2010, 10:00 PM
None! :redneck:

BoolitBill
06-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, I had one that I never shot. I got a Winchester model 94 in 1984 with the large loop lever in 32 Win sp. I already had a 94 in 30-30 so for some reason I never shot it. Last October my nephew earned his Eagle scout rank and he got the gun as a congratulations gift from me. I still have never shot it but he sure has!

bowhunter
07-21-2010, 11:21 AM
0.. I am a user,if i can't shoot it then i don't need it........

Duckhunter
07-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I usually can't wait to work up a load and do the range testing on a new firearm. However, I won a Browning 22 Auto (Stainless) at a local Shrine club raffle a few years ago and just put it in the safe, box and all. Just never got around to getting it out and loading it up.

Jeff Davis
07-21-2010, 09:21 PM
I have a NIB Saiga 308, a 10/22 (supposed to be the wife's), a 243 barrel for my Handi rifles I haven't fit yet, a Marlin 336c 35 Remington, a 12 gauge barrel for the Handis, a Kel-Tec Sub 9 2000.

I know it's rifles only but I also have an Astra 400 9mm Largo, a NIB Ruger MKIII 22/45, and a NIB Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 44 Special.

Between a 12hr work day, a 2hr round trip commute, a wife and 3 kids (6, 3, and 2) there is no free time whatsoever. I really ought to stop finding these deals, but it's the only thing I have keeping me sane!

uncle joe
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
nary a one, I buy them so I [B]can[B] shoot them. however I do have a few shotguns that have yet to be tried out, just not a scattergun man I guess.

Tom W.
07-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Just my "next" one...

C1PNR
08-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I said 3 to 5, but it may be a couple more.

I've got 2 CMP Carbines and 2 CMP 03A3's that still need exercise. then I read the comment about the Chilean someone else hasn't fired and I remembered my 1895 Chilean Carbine and the 1891/59 Rooskie Carbine, both of which are languishing in the safe.

Oops, there might be a pistol as well. The little 1934 Beretta in .32 ACP, the Brevettata as I recall, that hasn't been used either.

I guess I need to take some different guns out on our next Thursday range and cigar night.

pls1911
08-04-2010, 06:16 PM
That's like asking how many sweet ladies of your youth you never kissed....
The answer to both questions is "Too danged many"!!!
If I'm granted a few more seasons, I'll get around to it!

Old friends AND old guns, each in their own time.

MtGun44
08-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Are you kidding!? Guns are for shooting.
End of discussion.

Bill

Shooter
08-12-2010, 09:09 AM
I have one.
In 1969 I was in the Navy. I came in on weekend liberty and sold my motorcycle to a friend who paid by check. It was Saturday afternoon and the banks were closed. I had to be back on base Monday morning.
I took the check to a local hardware/gunshop. The owner was hemming and hawing about the large check.
My father loved Winchester lever guns. I saw a new Buffalo Bill commemoritive on the rack. "If you cash my check, I'll buy that rifle" I told the owner. He agreed, and I gave him a little over $125 for the rifle.
I went home and gave the rifle to my dad, he was delighted. He declared: "This rifle will never be shot". He wanted to preserve it's collector value.
I lost dad a year later. The rifle? It's still in my safe, unfired.

wiersy111
08-12-2010, 12:27 PM
The only ones I own that have never been shot are a matched set of Teddy Roosevelt Winchester 94's that were my 1st birthday present. I doubt that they ever will be fired. Other wise I buy em to shoot em. if I don't like the way they shoot down the road they go.

emorris
08-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I also only have one rifle that I have not shot. It is a Weatherby Vangard in 7mm Rem mag that I bought last year before christmas. I bought it in case I ever get to go on a ELk hunt (but not here in TN), and that I bought it at Walley Word on sale for $350, marked down from I believe 450. I just couldnt pass up the deal. It is not the fancey weatherby but the one with the tan stock with black spider webb. My wife will never send me Christmas shopping again.

milkman-06
08-15-2010, 11:57 AM
More than 70. I bought a few when I had a C&R FFL a decade ago. Ran out of money and time to get the cosmoline off and shoot them.
Russ N
near beautiful Freistatt
in hot SW Missouri

shdwlkr
08-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Just got to thinking and I do have 3 of my own that I can't remember the last time I shot them and then there are 2-3 for the kids that haven't been shot yet and then there is the wife's 2 that she hasn't shot yet and there just might be another in there some place.
Need to get more range time in and do some relaxing.

captain-03
08-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Currently I have more than 5 I have not shot ... they are all Garands or M1 Carbines ... I was on a quest to acquire at least one of each of the carbine manufactures and one of each year of production and manufacture for the Garands ... starting at 1941 of course! -- earlier years are way to expensive for me ...

Now that the quest is almost complete, they will all get some range time in the future ..

Now, I do have a couple that have not been fired in years ... Off the top of my head there are several 22LR and one 22Mag that I can not remember the last time they were fired along with a couple M1917s ... of well!! Maybe I need to go digging in the safe and see exactly what I need to bring back to life ...

10 ga
08-22-2010, 08:49 PM
If you count Encore barrels I've got 5 not shot but that will change as soon as I can get to the range without sweating all over the equipment. 96 here in VA again today. They are 4 MLs and 1 CF. 2 are totally new stuff and 3 are new to me. 3 complete guns and the 2 Encore barrels to go on my exist frame. 10 ga

Arisaka99
08-22-2010, 09:14 PM
10ga, what part of Tidewater are you in? Im in Va Beach, by 64.

roverboy
08-29-2010, 08:00 PM
Just my "next" one...

Amen brother, I 've shot all mine. Usually pretty quick after I get'em.

Four Fingers of Death
09-15-2010, 07:33 AM
I shoot most of mine straightaway, just teh ones that require moulds, etc, etc seem to hit a delay. Current;y suffering from a torn rotator cuff on my shooting shoulder. Consequently, I have a few 300 Win Mags and a few 338WMs that need some loading and a good shoulder.

But, as I said before if you have a whole mess of guns (mine is in 3 figures, you can be doiing and awful lot of shooting and not getting around them all and have a guy that has a pistol, a rifle and a shotgun tutt tutting at you for only shooting 87 of your 100+ guns :D

mold maker
09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
SWMBO read this over my shoulder and remarked "TOO D@^^ MANY." I guess she may be right cause there are several that haven't seen daylight in quite a while. I think I'll remedy that this weekend.

PatMarlin
09-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Approaching 5 I think. But it's not my fault ...:mrgreen:

Four Fingers of Death
09-19-2010, 03:50 AM
I never intended to accumulate so many rifles (main part of armoury), pistols and shotguns and always had a few 22s, a 223, a 30/06, and an 870 shotgun. After they confiscated my 870 years ago, most shooters considered it the thin edge of the wedge and that we would eventually lose all of out guns. I was determined to buy any gun that I fancied because I thought that if things got tougher, I'd have a better chance of hanging onto guns that I already owned than trying to convince some offical that I should have one. I have accumulated a lot og guns, but bought guns that I had always fancied and intended to try them and move them on once I had had a good play with them. I thought that from the guns I fancied, I'd end up with a moderate armoury that would suit me and serve me well.

I didn't want to be sitting on the rocker on the porch in years to come saying, 'I wish I had'a tried one of those, I wonder what there like?' Thats why I have so many guns at the ,moment, bit of a log jam, havign trouble getting the loading and shooting done, but I'm doing my best!

PatMarlin
09-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Another example of how ridiculous gun control is.

67bear
09-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Two, a recently aquired 1898 Springfield sporter in 30-40 Krag that I need to find brass for, and an 8mm Lebel my dad gave me that's been sitting in the safe for about 20 years I guess.

JIMinPHX
09-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Any gun that I own, that doesn't get shot for 2 consecutive years, gets sold unless I have a darn good reason to keep it. I don't have room in my safe or in my life for closet queens.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Zero rifles...But I have a collectable "unfired" Revolver, and it pains me to not shoot it.
Jon

Longwood
10-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I have prolly owned 20 rifles and at least twice that many pistols.
Can't recall a time I owned one longer than a day without shooting it.

toolz568
10-15-2010, 08:13 PM
One

A revolving rifle I had to buy and likes the looks so much I put it away and can't seem to part with it.

Orra

shootingbuff
10-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I find it amazing that people own firearms and do not shoot them. That said I do know a guy that has a whole wall of safes and he hardly ever shoots. GASP!

Maybe I am dirt poor and either I shoot it or I don't have it.

Hangs head and wonders how can anyone have firearms and not use them.......

sb

Four Fingers of Death
10-23-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm doing the best I can, I eto the range Monday and Wednesday afternoons most every week and on Sundays in the morning. I sometimes get to the shotgun club on Friday afternoon and also the other pistol club occasionally on Saturday afternoon. I travel and usually spend a total of about 30 full days shooting at away events. I also try and get out in the paddock once a week for a hunt.

I'm shooting as much as I can, but just plumb got too many guns! :D

I'm wearing them down though.

PatMarlin
10-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Here's one I haven't shot. My Great Grandad's Colt 38 lightening in 38 long colt. I was thinking of cutting down some 38 brass.

http://www.patmarlins.com/tamRadar.jpg

Von Gruff
10-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I couldnt not shoot any gun I have.

Having said that my discresionary spend money is not suficient to have any more than needs dictate. All are hunters in one form or another and get used as such and played - practiced with regularly.

Von Gruff.

azcruiser
10-23-2010, 05:19 PM
I have not as many as I did at one time- and way more than I'll need -gun numbers like cards should be held close the chest - To easy to find where you live- what you do- when you do it-
what you have-plus map quest heck could even guess you car make

WILCO
10-23-2010, 07:45 PM
There is at least one I haven't shot since acquiring it. It's on the "To do" list.

Four Fingers of Death
10-24-2010, 08:57 AM
You will have to shoot that one Pat, the old guy would want you to I'm sure. They are not a pretty gun and would have been bought as a workhorse as they were pretty much state of the art then.

When you do give it a run, let us all know, that woudl be interesting.

PatMarlin
10-24-2010, 09:05 AM
-suprised nobody has caught on to who is holding my grandpappy's colt? ...:mrgreen:

Four Fingers of Death
10-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I just assumed it was you, as I've never seen a pic of you. I mainly concentrated on the gun and a couple of other purty looking things which are right beside it.

PatMarlin
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Hint...

http://www.patmarlins.com/gary.jpg

PatMarlin
10-25-2010, 12:30 AM
This is me right here...

http://www.patmarlins.com/me.jpg

obssd1958
10-25-2010, 12:50 AM
Pat,
What is Gary Burghoff doing holding your grandpappy's Colt??

Four Fingers of Death
10-25-2010, 04:22 AM
Musta had my radar switched off!

PatMarlin
10-25-2010, 11:05 AM
I ran into him at a Gunshow a few years back. He gave us a great history lesson and appraisal on my Colt. Then he darn near talked my wife into leaving me. But she's tall and wasn't going for it.. :mrgreen:

sailor
11-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I only have old ones, and yes there are four I have not shot. Let's see. There's the percussion Maynard that I need to make a mold for. Then there's the TD that has to be re-barreled (seems everyone has a relic TD) And of course there's my .50-70 Sharps with a bore of .519, still needs a mold. And lastly I just acquired a Burnside with a bore that needs to be lapped...
Good thing there's a long winter here in the North West.

shoggoth80
11-02-2010, 08:43 PM
I have a pair of Enfields I have not gotten around to shooting, but will as soon as I get range time.
I have a Gahendra rifle that has not been shot yet, but I am still cleaning it up; working on the stock for the moment, got the metal looking pretty good.
Also have a shotgun... but that is not a rifle now is it? :P

roverboy
01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Just got a H&R Huntsman .58 that has a firing pin that is stuck in the forward position and need to see if I can spray it with penetrating oil or something and maybe get it to free up. Its the only rifle I have I've not shot. If anybody has any ideas on how to free it up, let me know.

txpete
01-03-2011, 05:55 AM
1. M1
2.B barrel finn M39

Bagdadjoe
01-22-2011, 09:35 AM
No rifles....I'm bad about shotguns.. I've had two 11-87's and two 870 Police Magnums that I kept loaded but never shot. A pity, one of the Police Magnums was a Scattergun Technologies with night sights, ported, etc. The guy I sold it to said it shot great.....glad to make someone happy.

unclebill
01-22-2011, 09:48 AM
i had a mint unfired fazakerly enfield for about an hour.
now i have a fired near mint fazakerly.....

Jim
01-22-2011, 09:52 AM
How many children do you know that have yet to play with a toy they got on Christmas morning?

corvette8n
01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
6, 3 of them are wall hangers.

Ivantherussian03
01-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Now I dont feel bad about myself. I have four rifles I have never shot. In fact I am normal.

adrians
01-23-2011, 01:19 PM
i rem 7400 ,1 1873 trap, and one marlin 17hmr,the rest are all mausers.:evil::coffee::twisted: oh and m95 steyr.

white eagle
01-23-2011, 03:00 PM
zero,Nada,zipola
shoot it or move it

AaronJ
02-01-2011, 02:09 AM
only have 2 i have never shot. one is an old remington 10 guage with 2.5 inch chambers that is way to shifty looking. the other is the 788 6mm rem my dad had with him when he died.

HARRYMPOPE
02-01-2011, 03:03 AM
none.Including a 358 Win Featherweight i bought new in box.I make younger shooter cringe!

HMP

yotatrd4x4
02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I have a dpms lr 308 that I got a while back has not been shot also a savage 110 in 338 win may and another 110 in 270 also have a sig p250 pistol and a benelli m2 also. I plan to shoot all but in Alaska you buy guns all winter then shoot them in the summer

Saint
02-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Have a Pocket Remington C&B that I built from a kit and have never shot, aside from that though I also have a brass barrel Vest Pocket Derringer that I shot one time and it was so pathetically weak I never shot it again and probably never will. Guess 10 grains of BP was never meant to be that powerful. It will likely just be a display piece from now on since the brass barrel would wear to fast anyway.

gnoahhh
04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I have never shot a single gun I ever owned. Discharged (or fired) every one though!

jma1965
05-04-2011, 08:19 AM
I screwed up, I selected zero but i forgot about the wall hangers .... a Flobert (hope I spelled that right) rimfire rifle and a double barrel muzzle loader my Great, Great, Great Grandfather of Bedford County Pa, who was a gunsmith, had made.

waksupi
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I screwed up, I selected zero but i forgot about the wall hangers .... a Flobert (hope I spelled that right) rimfire rifle and a double barrel muzzle loader my Great, Great, Great Grandfather of Bedford County Pa, who was a gunsmith, had made.

How about some pictures of the double barrel?

jma1965
05-04-2011, 11:49 AM
How about some pictures of the double barrel?

You mean like iss un....

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/jma2006_bucket/SDC10973.jpg

waksupi
05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Interesting looking gun, definite Pennsylvania influence!

Heavy lead
05-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I usually have at least one rifle hanging around I just had to have, but haven't shot. I took a look this morning and I've got 5 at the moment, I was astounded, stupid thing is I have handload development all started on all of them but one, just never pulled the trigger.
Weatherby Mark V Ultralite 30-06, brand new had to buy, it was a steal.
Kimber 8400 300 WSM, same reason as above.
Remington 700 BDL .338 Winchester Magnum, see above.
Winchester 94 .30-30 ranger, ditto, first .30-30 I ever owned.
Winchester 70 Featherweight, new one made in NC, again see above, this one I haven't started any handloads for yet, but it is scoped and ready to go.

So how many do you have unshot?

Hard to believe this thing is still rolling along after 14 months, got to laugh, I've bought 3 rifles in the last year, shot them all, all lever guns, those and the lever gun up top in the original post have all been shot, sighted and good loads developed for them.
The scoped bolt guns are still unfired, guess my tastes are changing.
At 4 currently.

MOshooter
05-08-2011, 12:42 PM
All of my guns have been shot and still in use,except 3 family heirlooms 2 crackshots no26 and 1 Springfield 1864 for the civil war and 1 1851 Navy Colt.

RobS
05-08-2011, 12:47 PM
If I have it I shoot it................I sell guns I don't use often; I've always shot them before letting go.

Gunnut 45/454
05-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Sorry I have none as I will not own a gun that I don't shoot and shoot often! Why own it if you don't shoot it! I even shot the totally S/N correct G98/40 my Dad brought back from the war a priceless weapon! But even those are ment to be shot -thats what they were made to do!:mrgreen:

Gunnut 45/454
05-09-2011, 12:31 AM
adrians
You really need to shoot that Rem 7400, I just got one in '06 and it a pleasure to shoot! Even running cast boolits through it![smilie=w:

Colt .45
05-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Clicked the wrong selection. Meant to say two. Recently bought a M14 and a AG42 Ljungman. Havent fired the M14 yet because I need to get locktite and pop the scope on there. The Ljungman I havent purchased any 6.5x55 swede.

m.chalmers
05-30-2011, 05:08 PM
One Matchlock, One DP Enfield and one skeleton Enfield. I like my face to much to shoot them. On the Jap Matchlock, it's worth to much to ruin it.

Harter66
06-09-2011, 12:13 AM
I got an sks and an Arisaka after Christmas I haven't even touched the Arisaka . Oh I cycled it to chech for clear and look down the bore stick it in the back walk away.

azcruiser
06-12-2011, 10:17 PM
I have two that I know of and haven't shot . But there could be more since I would hide them from my wife at the time and forget where I put them ? So every now and then I get a surprise and find one
hiding .Need a bunch of kids to do an Easter egg hunt through my house

Big Dave
07-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Have a 303 Brit that I have been too lazy to scrub the old cosmoline out of yet. Bought it because I had never seen one with a round Springfield cocking piece.
Otherwise anything unfired is because it is unsafe to fire and they don't count.

gordie
07-15-2011, 09:51 PM
i have just one.
i've had it for about 10 yrs., BUT its all about to change.
i'm waiting on some brass, i have everything else...
a .400 whelen, on a springfield action.
its been in the family at least 85yrs.
it may have been fired before 1925, but thats just guessing.
wish me luck.

Heavy lead
07-15-2011, 10:09 PM
i have just one.
i've had it for about 10 yrs., BUT its all about to change.
i'm waiting on some brass, i have everything else...
a .400 whelen, on a springfield action.
its been in the family at least 85yrs.
it may have been fired before 1925, but thats just guessing.
wish me luck.

I am :mrgreen: with envy sir.
Good luck, should be a nice rifle.

Heavy lead
07-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Since I started this thread with 5, then wen to 4, I've bounced back to 5 twice and went to 4 shortly after twice, and now at 5 for a third time, it'll be 4 again after Sunday, the new Ruger Alaskan .375 has 18 test loads ready to go with start loads through half way up the chart towards book max with IMR4831 and two different bullets the 270 grain Hornady and the 260 grain Nosler Accubond, we'll get her shot in with about 100 J's and get a mould.

Just can't wait. Still got two 06's, one 300 WSM and a .338 Win Mag to fire yet, guess I'd better get on it.
Been shooting the short guns too much I guess.

David2011
07-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Had to do a recount but it's not as bad as it seems. None of them are great rifles as they sit. I think I have 9 that I haven't shot. A never issued SKS, a slightly used SKS and one I'm holding long term on a loan. Got a used Knight in .50 cal and two nib smokepoles, also .50 cal that I bought at a reducing inventory sale recently. How can you turn down 2 new rifles for $125? Yes, for both. Got a pair of Brazilian '08s in 7mm that were bought to build into custom rifles and a Yugo 24/47 Mauser that still has the re-arsenaling cosmoline on it. It was also bought to modify. The 08s are a little on the rough side as is to be too interested in shooting but the bolts and receivers are sound.

David

xringdave
08-14-2011, 06:41 PM
just one a mossberg 46 22 but i only got it last week

mongo
08-15-2011, 01:58 AM
1, an Enfield MK4, only because I cant find any surplus ammo in my neck of the woods. I have owned it for 4 years,

wmitty
08-18-2011, 01:14 PM
1: Savage M88 in .308 (daughters gift)

2: Rem 582 .22 l.r. in excellent condition

3. Marlin 336 RC in .32 Special - I'll be shooting this as soon as the ambient temp. drops below 90 degrees in daylight.

ShootingLooney
09-02-2011, 05:46 PM
(1) Remington Matchmaster [proper name ID?], U.S. Gov't marked, .22 LR
(2) .50-70 RB,
(2) 1903, 1903-A3

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-14-2011, 07:04 PM
does layaway count?

I shoot everything I own, except my Elmer Keith S&W Commemorative.

It's why I'm broke...

Rich

shdwlkr
12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
dang never thought about layaway or custom being built firearms so I guess I do have a few.

50-170-700 sharps
12-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I shoot all of my guns (I wouldn't have them if I didn't shoot them!). Though I do have a certain Savage 30-06 I haven't shot in over 2 years...

Reload3006
12-16-2011, 11:08 AM
I only have one a sporterized mauser 7x57 I just haven't gotten around to it LOL.

SSGOldfart
12-18-2011, 04:26 PM
encore 223 and encore308, a 32 pistol and a 40cal pistol.

Finnmike
12-29-2011, 05:23 PM
I have 5 Swede carbines, 6 Swede 96's, and about 120 Finn Mosins that I've not fired....

Bullet Caster
12-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Since I've gotten rid of my 12 guage shotgun (a greener) I don't have any weapons that I haven't fired. I always get ammo of some type when I get a new rifle/pistol so I can go out and fire it as soon as I get home with it. The 12 guage is the only thing I haven't fired but it's been sold now so I can't count it.

I'm definitely NOT a collector of unfired weapons. My reasoning is why have a weapon that I cannot fire. I guess even if I had a collector Colt .45 in unfired condition, I would remedy that in a hurry. I won't own a weapon I cannot use/fire.

If anyone wants their weapon fired, just send them to me and I will assure you they will be fired and fired often. BC

shovel80
12-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Seems interesting to me that the top answer is "0"....by almost twice as many as the next highest which is 110!....Hopefully those Interested in rifles will sometime buy and shoot some!..;-)

Terry

Mossy Nugget
12-30-2011, 12:05 AM
I bought a Remington 770 in .243 win. over a year ago. My first brand new rifle was to be properly broken in, cleaned with a tipton cleaning rod and lucas bore guide. By time I gathered all the perfect gun care equipment, it was too cold to spend an entire day breaking it in. By spring there were two more "new to me" guns that didn't need such special considerations. They got all the attention because all I had to do was shoot and clean. Kinda feel silly about it now, it's going to the range tomorrow and get all the TLC it deserved for so long.

slowhand47
01-04-2012, 08:39 AM
And the answer is -3 - weapons I have but not shot. But please excuse me; I feel the need to explain WHY.

My first for fun rifle was a Mosin-Nagant 31/90 from 1943; I picked the Mosin for the cost, and utility. To be sure in the beginning I thought it was junk, and my shoulder worried about the next expedition to the range. After trying small pillows and a sissy pad reloading was the solution; a tamer load and the tall demon lurking in my closet was easier to get along with.

But then these I have not shot: one 91/30 to mount a scope; another Mosin -Finn model for quality plus I liked the way it looked; and another Mosin original style '91 models for a wallhanger. I may need one more with an octagon barrel.

The Original Post made me think about how many I have not shot, my lack of ambition or excuses. Knowing they don't get jealous or bored, may be the reason I can afford them??

M1A4ME
01-14-2012, 07:54 AM
I'll admit to not shooting some in almost 30 years but I used to shoot them.

That darn little 03's stock is just too short to fit me and my face is right up on the back of the receiver instead of down on the wrist of ths stock. Fattens up my lip pretty good after about 5 shots or so. The little Browning .22 is too small, too. Just not comfortable to shoot (though it doesn't kick like the 03 Springfield).

There's a Winchester 1917 upstairs in the attic somewhere I haven't seen in years. I gotta find that one and check it out before getting it into the safe. The others that were in the attic looked fine when I put them in the safe earlier this year.

I haven't shot my father-in-laws rifles since 1980 but that's just because I deer hunted with my own rifles (03A4 some days and M1A other days). I'll probably be passing one of his .22 rifles to my nephew's son when he gets old enough.

The longest I ever went after buying a new rifle before I fired it was last year there was about 6 months between when I built my AR15 in .300 Black Out and when I finally got the dies to reload the brass/bullets I'd bought.

koehlerrk
01-14-2012, 10:24 AM
I have ONE that I haven't shot yet... but it's not shootable until I replace the buggered-up barrel on it. Once that's done, I'll shoot it, so... none for me.

canyon-ghost
01-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Seems interesting to me that the top answer is "0"....by almost twice as many as the next highest which is 110!....Hopefully those Interested in rifles will sometime buy and shoot some!..

Ah, but don't assume "0" means I don't own rifles, I do, and shoot them all! Maybe not often, but they do go to the range.

bandit7.5
01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
I have a bubba terni carcano carbine I have no enbloc clips for. And a swiss vetterli that still has an unmodified bolt. Could not pass up the vetterli.
one clip and a little mod work to a bolt and every thing goes bang.

kweidner
01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
thats easy. one antique rimfire 25 cal my great great grandfather smithed. Don't have boolits fer it or i would have to try it. :bigsmyl2:

greenmntranger
01-20-2012, 09:05 PM
used to have a metric F ton figuratively speaking but over the past couple years I have thinned out the heard. As much as I think firearms are some of the most beautiful functioning works of art conceived and constructed by the hand of man, I have come to the point in my life that I realized I didnt want to be a collector. Turning over the $$$ made from the sales into more components for reloading, and to outfit the guns I kept

GMR

Shiloh
01-27-2012, 08:20 PM
None.

I'm not one to have commemorative firearms, and certainly can't afford scarce high value collector type rifles. What I have gets fired, but I have my favorites.

Shiloh

dragon813gt
03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Zero. I see no point in owning one if I won't use it. I do worry about damaging some of my high end o/u shotguns when I shoot them. But they still get used.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Silver Jack Hammer
05-15-2012, 05:36 PM
I have a rifle I shot once. It was the end of a 2 day 700 round match. It was the last stage. My rifle was in a rack in front of me. There were just a couple more shotgun targets to finish off. My shotgun which had not yet missed a beat slam-fired on me and I shot my rifle. It was a cowboy match. I used to pride myself on saying I don’t alter my guns, I can’t say that anymore. But I can still say I shoot my guns stock, since it was the stock of the rifle that took the shotgun blast. And I’ll bet I’ve shot more guns than you have, because I’ve shot one. It took a while to get a new stock and I used that rifle with a leather strap holding the stock together for a few matches before I could get it fixed. The rifle is a Uberti .44 Special ’73 carbine.

mstarling
05-15-2012, 10:17 PM
None ...

Have never bought factory loaded ammo for 9,3x62, 9,3x74R, .376 Steyr, .416 Aagard, .416 Rigby, .458 AccRel, and .470 Nitro Express ... but I shoot'm (with cast boolits too)!

MasS&W
06-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Poor college kid here, one rifle (.35 remington 336) that has been shot many times.

John in WYO
06-08-2012, 01:28 AM
20 years ago, I inherited an 1873 Trapdoor rifle in .45-70. It has a hole in the right side of the buttstock. Before he died, I asked my great-uncle where the hole came from.

When he was six years old in 1911, he was behind his father on a horse as his country-doctor father was riding to a farm house to doctor a woman near Paden, OK.

They met a man on the road who hailed his father and urgently asked him to come to his house to see his sick wife. The doctor asked what was wrong with her and got a response indicating she wasn't sicker than the woman he was going to see (triage, before it was called triage).

Uncle Bart's father said he would be over to the second man's farm after he treated the first woman. A brief argument ensued with the second man over who he would respond to first.
The second man fired a shotgun and killed their horse out from under Uncle Bart and his father.

Bart told me that after the fight, they doctored the first woman, then went to the second man's home and doctored his wife as well. His father got a replacement horse from the second man. One piece of buckshot is still in the buttstock of the Springfield.

Bart was a rounder, daily carried a nickeled Colt Pocket Model .25 ACP well into his 90's. I have it, too.

I have fired the Trapdoor with a load of 55 grains of FFg and a 405 grain cast boolit, years ago.

Now it just hangs around as a memento with a great family story. My youngest son has laid claim to it when I'm done with it.

John

sharps4590
07-05-2012, 06:36 AM
I voted "none" and believed that true until I read 44fanatic's post about the old Ithaca. I forgot about one I picked up, an old Ithaca double 12 bore, at a local auction a month or two ago and haven't fired it yet. But that's only because I don't have any BP 12 bore shells loaded.

Silver Hand
07-30-2012, 03:46 AM
For me it is none. Always loved to shoot, fish and hunt.
Although having the time to do something may have a bit to do with some others not shooting what they have. This all takes time.
My advise is to Keep those shooters yet not used. That way when you get to retire [I hate that word] You can clean them up and and use them. Not having to buy them over later in life.

HATCH
09-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Guns not shot by me....
Out of 60+ i would say 8 havent been shot by me and 3 are still NIB as they were gifts that i havent got around to yet.

sent from my mobile

Crash_Corrigan
09-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I have only 13 rifles but I tend to shoot them regularly.

RobsTV
09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I could only put up with looking at a potential wall hanger 1853 Enfield 3-band .577 about 3 weeks before I started working on making it shoot. After 150+ years of rust removed from inside barrel, and clogged flash hole re-drilled, success! Another rifle that is a blast to shoot!. It does take a little work when shooting to compensate for the bent barrel, but still batting 1000 with all rifles owned being shootable, and all part of the shooting rotation.

johnny-appleweed
11-02-2012, 01:46 AM
I have a model 94 win. 32Winchester special CPR Commemorative in the box with the original shipping carton that I have never shot... I also have a HI_POINT 9mm, 2 SKS's, 300 Savage, Ruger 10/22, M1 Carbine, 38/40 winchester, 30/30 Winchester, 30/30 Marlin, 44 Mag Ruger, AK47(parts only) and 4 hand guns that I have not fired yet.I got them for $500.00 when I bailed a cousin out of jail. He is now a convicted felon and the guns are mine.

roverboy
11-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Right now none. I had one and remedied the situation.

gsdelong
11-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Do I have to include contender/ encore barrels?

RugerFan
11-05-2012, 07:19 PM
2. One is a "Dragoon Era" 91/30 and the other is a .300 ACC BLK I just put together. Along the same lines, my Garand has only been to the range once. I need to remedy that.

wolf3006
11-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Two a 514 Remington and a remington 700 3006

bob208
11-19-2012, 08:50 AM
if you have 20 98 mausers do you have to shoot every one? or do you say the only differince is the crest on the receiver ring. so if i shot one or two i have shot them all ?

pricedo
12-02-2012, 06:49 AM
Browning BLR Takedown in 450 Marlin
Baikal SxS 45-70 (double rifle)

marwin95
12-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Only 1, that being a Winchester 1873 from 1892- 38-40. Passed down and never shot.

smokeywolf
12-07-2012, 08:46 PM
Winchester model '11 12 gauge shotgun; "The Widowmaker". That is the only gun I own that will never be fired!

smokeywolf

fishin_bum
05-06-2013, 12:07 AM
I had a 303 Beretta 12ga that I won in 1990 from DU its numbered and signed. I didn't shoot it for nineteen years 4 years ago opening day of dove season I decided I don't collect guns, I shoot them, and took it hunting. Last night around 6:30pm I bought a Mosberg Maverick 12ga at 1:30pm today I shot it, Whata great gun for the price.

grampa243
05-06-2013, 12:13 PM
LOL how long is never?? i have shot all my guns in the last 18 months or so. and all but one have been shot in the last 2 months.

i think some have made it to 3 years between shots. but i usually buy guns i have ammo for. so a new gun gets tested ASAP.

after buying a 'new' derringer that would only go bang half the time. i like to know a new gun works.

Blintersifrid
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
This will be changing to ONE in the near future, when I finally take possession of the 7.35mm Carcano that my uncle gifted to me.

And as soon as I get to a range that will allow me to shoot rifles, I will be fixing THAT problem...

roberto mervicini
05-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Two. a 303 jungle carbine, got it two years a go and a 410 shot gun that a friend donate in 2002.

Joni Lynn
05-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Wow, I guess the number of unfired guns in general has been going up here. The more I think about it the more I think of that need a range trip. Some need ammo made up first.

longusmc
05-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I went on a collecting binge a few years ago and ended up with more than I could fire. After making several moves between getting divorced and changing duty stations; I still havn't been able to get out and shoot everything.

SteveUSP
05-22-2013, 06:47 AM
I have an AR lower, just waiting for an upper, does that count?

Char-Gar
05-23-2013, 12:38 PM
NYDB and you can't see my papers either!

Reverend Al
05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Well ... I'm standing at about 130+ guns in my collection right now and I hate to have to admit that a good 1/3 or more haven't been shot by me yet. Most of them were purchased as "retirement projects" and although I am now retired I just haven't got to them all yet. (But I'll work on that ... really I will!)
[smilie=1:

searcher4851
05-24-2013, 01:52 PM
I only own a dozen or so, so they all get shot, but not as often as I'd like to.

khmer6
05-25-2013, 02:20 AM
There are a few in my collection that haven't been fired and a few with less than 5 rounds down the tube. More of a pistol shooter. Can't wait to retire and spend more time on the long range

CAVEMTNMAN
05-25-2013, 10:49 AM
I have 1 that has never been shot. It is a Rem.541S NIB, that I am going to give to my 3 1/2 yr.old grandson. :D

km101
06-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Not enough! I only have about......... I don't really know how many, but I will always want more!

UBER7MM
06-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Only the ones I've yet to purchase.......

daniel lawecki
06-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Pretty much all of them.

Garyshome
06-21-2013, 02:11 PM
If i'm not gonna shoot it I don't want it!

rodnocker1
06-23-2013, 08:06 AM
25+.......but then again, I have an FFL 01 so when I find a good/great deal, I grab it!

I'll probably end up shooting them all except 1 when I find the time. It's a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 7mm Weatherby Mag. The man I got it from received it back in 1986 from a bank in Colorado in lieu of interest for buying a CD. They were out of Leupold scopes and it had a Pentax on it. The gun has never (except the factory test rounds) had a round through it and is absolutely MINT! Not even a fingerprint on it and the gun is approaching 30 years old. On top of that, it has a very light blond colored (rarely seen) stock rather than the darker ones commonly seen on the Mark V's. I bought the gun, hardcase, and 5 boxes of Weatherby ammo for $1,032.00 shipped. I had every intention of shooting the darn thing but when I received it and saw the shape it was in, I just couldn't take it to the range. I had visions of someone walking past and bumping it, sending it to the concrete. Then, when/if I ever got out, I wouldn't be able to possess ANY firearms (LOL) so I decided to just keep it locked up and pass it down to one of my sons.

Crashbox
07-06-2013, 10:02 AM
I have a total of four rifles, two of which I have not shot: my mother's Model '95 Winchester .405, and a Remington 700 .35 Whelen which I purchased just yesterday.

rosst
07-07-2013, 09:21 PM
one . . . . an as new Marlin 3030 bought a month ago - read so much about the 3030 cartridge being such a good one for cast i started buying dies etc as they came along over the last few years. Already have a winchester and a rossi in .45 so thought a marlin would be a good idea, even if its a micro grooze. Planning on putting a weaver scout mount ontop with a burris, maybe a barrel chop to get rid of the front barrel band, half mag with a short can type suppressor later on if the concept works. That woud free up my .308 for longer range work which currently i use with cast/suppressed for pest control.

cheers

Cosmiceyes
07-10-2013, 02:01 AM
My answer is because the money is headed to where the gun is,and hasn't arrived yet. Thus I sort of own one,but don't,so I answered less than 2. So since zero isn't a number does my answer really count?

500MAG
07-16-2013, 09:30 PM
I have at least 5 I haven't shot. Can't explain it. I won't shoot it till I'm load'n it!

T-Dogg
08-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Only one that I've never shot - Mossberg 500 I bought for HD. Haven't had anywhere to go out and blast with it, range only allows shotguns for skeet shooting. I do have a couple that I haven't shot in several years, but that's going to change soon!

remy3424
08-13-2013, 03:43 PM
I remember the Weatherby being offered by the Bank of Boulder on CDs in lieu of the interest being advertised in the American Rifleman when I was a kid that Rodney has. Oh ya...maybe 10 or so unshot rifles

prsman23
08-18-2013, 10:42 AM
I've got a Rossi 92 in .357, a Mosin ex sniper and a couple or ARs that I haven't shot yet.
I have a few pistols that still need an outing too. A Ruger 22/45, a few Walther PP models in 32.

That's all I can think of at the moment!

I have a few on the way too. Which kind of counts right???

:-D

jethunter
08-22-2013, 07:58 PM
I have some that I haven't shot but i haven't counted them.

An 38-55 SRC that needs a new buttstock before it is shootable.

A Husqvarna 9.3x62 that i got cheap years ago, but ihave actually loaded some ammo for her and she's coming out next range trip.

A M1894 winchester 32-40 with a 26" bbl, my great grandfather's rifle from his ranching days at the turn of the twentieth century. I hope to take a deer with it some time but mostly I hope to pass it on to whichever of my offspring "earns" it.

A couple antique webley and colt revolvers that will be shot in time.

Nothing high end but everything is a "classic" one way or another.

whelenshooter
11-21-2013, 01:20 PM
None. I could see it happening, possibly, (probably not) if I had a lot of gun money, but now...I shoot them all and shoot them regularly.

David

tygar
11-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Would like to say none but probably still have 20-30 that I have never fired. At least these are just because I haven't got to it.

Used to have many SAAs, both Commems & early guns + collected the Browning, Win, Colt, S&W commems.

I just couldn't stand not being able to shoot them or they would decrease in value. So, I sold almost all of them.

Kept a few that I planed to shoot, Win M-63 standard grade, 2 SAAs, a couple 22s, & a couple others. Keep meaning to shoot them but always others I want to shoot more.

Now with getting involved in rifle CBs it may be my sons that get to try them out. lol

Reverend Al
12-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Well ... I'm standing at about 130+ guns in my collection right now and I hate to have to admit that a good 1/3 or more haven't been shot by me yet. Most of them were purchased as "retirement projects" and although I am now retired I just haven't got to them all yet. (But I'll work on that ... really I will!)
[smilie=1:

OK ... update time ... I guess we can revise that earlier comment to about 150 now ... and most of them haven't been shot yet ...
:oops:

Mark Daiute
12-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Depends on who's asking, and why.

Wait.... never sot? None. Zip. Nada.

texasnative46
12-14-2013, 11:21 PM
I just recently bought a Remington Model 760 & have not yet had time to take it to the range.

yours, tn

Magnum6
12-26-2013, 05:48 PM
None" ..... if it's in my safe , it get's shot" including an Argentine Sporter Bolt Gun" , that's a 136 year's old ... it's a 7,65 X 53 MM Mouser Action

Look's like the NONE's are winning This Vote" Big time :bigsmyl2: Way to go guys.... SHOOT Them gun's man .

oger
12-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Too many, I collect pre war and 375 HH model 70s.

singleshot
01-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Until yesterday, my answer would have been different, but now that I've shot my two newest acquisitions, the answer is ZERO! :-)

Old Dawg
01-22-2014, 01:14 AM
Not enough.

Team CK
01-22-2014, 12:56 PM
five.

DW475
01-24-2014, 01:18 AM
I've got 3 sitting in their boxes. Problem is i'm having too much fun with my sharps rifles to even bother breaking them out to try out!

01-24-2014, 07:28 AM
None, I think 3 days is my record for the longest I've owned a gun without shooting it.

Kevinakaq
01-24-2014, 05:32 PM
About eight...three of them are in pieces being restored. I shoot in cycles paying a lot of attention to a certain gun for a while before moving on to another. They are all on the list...of course the list grows with new purchases and gets reorganized constantly. I do love my projects!

Rustyleee
01-30-2014, 08:48 PM
only one but I just bought it Monday.

Hawkeye45
02-08-2014, 05:19 PM
One. An -06 i picked up in a trade. Not including the black powder rifles which were stolen before I ckould shoot them.

Mr. Ed

bnelson06
02-08-2014, 07:34 PM
One, a M95 straight pull, just have to find dies and I'll give it a go

Wolfer
02-08-2014, 11:23 PM
I do have a few mausers that are still in the cosmoline they came in. Other than that if I've got it I shoot it.

rking22
05-10-2014, 05:21 PM
None ,generally they get shot before I ever get them into the house. Only exception is a 54 flint gun that I haven't got finished! When it has a touch hole it'll get shot! Now there are some I haven't shot in 10 years... my interests "revolve" , i'll get back arround to them soon!

Buck Neck It
05-20-2014, 01:38 AM
Just one, a Mauser 98. I fitted a Shaw 30-06 barrel to it at least 7 years ago. Almost got the stock made for it, then had to put the whole project aside to work on more pressing concerns.

Now, if I can just find all of the pieces.....

GhostHawk
05-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Currently, only one, it is a 1890 winchester .22 SHORT only pump action Gallery gun, waiting on a couple of boxes of shorts.

It does need a bit of work on the magazine tube, but otherwise appears to be in great shape.

snowwolfe
05-20-2014, 11:58 AM
I am back up to 10. Need to schedule some range time as well as work on our muzzle loaders so we are ready for Tennessee muzzle loading season.

dragon813gt
05-20-2014, 02:53 PM
I have two at the moment. One is being worked over while the other waits for that one to return so it can be worked over. The one in my possession has a cracked stock at the tang and I don't want to risk complete failure.

Fyodor
05-22-2014, 12:55 AM
Just one... A muzzle loading rifle that I bought because our was cheap, and actually never found into it.

jeo22
06-16-2014, 06:41 PM
None, never seen any reason to have a rifle and not shoot it.

brtelec
06-22-2014, 02:36 PM
If I do not shoot them I do not keep them. I go through the safe from time to time, and if there is a firearm in there that has not seen use in a couple of years, it is gone. I do not get very attached to inanimate objects.

lefty o
07-12-2014, 12:50 AM
off the top of my head, 6 complete rifles i havent yet shot, and 3 i tore into pieces to be rebuilt(someday ill finish them). and one complete pistol that has never been fully assembled. yes i have a problem! LOL

shdwlkr
07-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Ha Ha I just got thinking about this and if I include the firearms on layaway there is around 14 plus I have never shot yet as i am still paying off the cost of them.

500MAG
07-12-2014, 08:15 PM
I voted on this thread almost 2 years ago and I have added two more rifles I've never shot.

Bodean74
07-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Guns I use all mine, tools I buy and don't use all the time.

quail4jake
12-22-2017, 11:25 AM
I don't keep anything that doesn't work except for parts. Function, repair, restore, in process, for sale, donate to a museum or give away to someone who will make better use of it. That's vehicles, farm equipment, firearms etc. doesn't matter...they are equipment and need to work.

charlie b
12-22-2017, 01:06 PM
none, ever
And if i ever stop shooting one i get rid of it.

Texas by God
12-22-2017, 01:08 PM
none, ever
And if i ever stop shooting one i get rid of it.Me too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nh7792
12-22-2017, 01:31 PM
I have 3 that are in different levels of being able to shoot. 2 that just need to be zeroed in, and 1 that needs rings for the scope. One of the ready for zero rifles is almost 2 years old, and I swore to myself that I am going to get them all ready and shot at least once by the end of January. (Maybe 2018, but probably 2019) lol

Reverend Al
12-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Far too many ...

AZ Pete
12-22-2017, 02:50 PM
None, but I do have two unfired handguns, and a third that I haven't shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Earlwb
12-22-2017, 09:30 PM
I have a number of them that I haven't shot. But they may not be shootable. These are antiques. Some I bought to use the actions to convert them to something else. Some I wanted to repair and refurbish and maybe shoot too.

JSnover
12-22-2017, 10:27 PM
I bought a couple of Gew88 rifles as projects... one of these days I'll get to them.

arlon
12-23-2017, 11:02 AM
I have 20+ mosin nagants I've never shot. Mostly Finn variants that were more for collecting than shooting (few that are shooters though). Some trapdoors I've never shot.

brass410
12-23-2017, 06:25 PM
shoot every one of mine, every chance I get, wow cant imagine owning a gun and not shooting it! That's like owning a Maserati and not driving it, seems wrong somehow. Oh well different thinking out there to each their own I guess.

NoAngel
12-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Guns you can’t shoot. Beer you can’t drink. Boobs you can’t squeeze occasionally. Not in my house by god.

500Linebaughbuck
12-23-2017, 06:47 PM
notaone!!!!

Beagle333
12-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Most of em. I think I have only shot two or three. I'm more of a sixgun guy, but I still collect rifles whenever I see a fine deal.

Texas by God
12-24-2017, 01:58 AM
I'm getting mad at myself because I haven't shot this new to me T/C .54 rifle. Yet!
Time to introduce some young uns to Holy Black tomorrow!! There'll be a bunch here.

goryshaw
12-24-2017, 12:10 PM
Only handgun I own that I haven't shot is a Romanian Tokarev, need to get some ammo loaded for it first.

A number of milsurp rifles, most I just haven't got around to yet. M96 swedish in 6.5x55mm, Brazilian 1908 in 7x57mm, 2x Argentine M1909 in 7.65x53 one Cavalry Carbine and one rifle, and a FN-49 in 7.92x57mm. Have ammo loaded for all of them now, just need to get back into routine of weekly range visits to practice with service rifle and take one other rifle to shoot.

I've got a HRA service grade special M1, an IHC service grade and a Winchester service grade that I haven't fired yet, all my Garand firing is either vintage military matches of practicing with the HRA service grade I shoot in matches. M1 carbine that I bought on the forum here that is in line for my next range session, hopefully this tuesday or wednesday. Finally a M1917 Eddystone that I've been unable to remove the stock to cleanup 90+ years of cosmoline due to a stripped and frozen screw. I did get the upper handguard off, then family 'helped' me clean my garage and I've never found the handguard since.

sigep1764
12-25-2017, 04:08 PM
I have two guns that I've never shot. Both were my Grandfathers. One is a Remington 1100 with a 30in barrel, I have its twin from him also but it is 26in and a good clay breaker. The 2nd is a Winchester 1890 made in 1917 in 22WRF. Hard to find caliber, I have some Limited Edition 1986 Winchester ammo for it. I restored the wood as the stock had a small crack. I had the metal reblued professionally. I was not worried about the value or collector status, I want this to go to my kids and then their kids. It was my grandfathers first gun and what he learned on. I want that to continue.

hornet112
12-25-2017, 04:45 PM
I have 2 shotguns I never shot but rifles I don't have any I haven't shot.

FergusonTO35
12-25-2017, 11:14 PM
I have only one I have never fired: a Remington 742 '06 that I inherited from my grandfather. It is in excellent condition, Papaw rarely hunted deer and I doubt he put more than 20 or so rounds through it. I may give it a try someday, or maybe not. If the rifle wasn't an heirloom I would have sold it by now as I like lever and bolt guns.

jeffs4wheeler
12-26-2017, 08:10 AM
I bought a Remington pump 22 back in 1986, and have not shoot it.

GhostHawk
12-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Last month I had two, but the Hipoint Carbine in .45acp made it to the range and was sighted in.

That leaves me with one, a .45 colt barrel for my Handi Rifle.

Ammo is loaded, it is ready to go in its case. Just have not gotten there yet. I expect it will happen in the next 2 weeks.

GEOMETRIC
12-26-2017, 03:51 PM
I was going to say none as the first thing I do when I get any gun is go shoot it to see what works best in it & develop loads for it. Then I remembered the .303 British I was given not long ago. I kind of liked the old rifle & would have kept it except I am left handed & the handle was on the wrong side (for me). I tried to give it to my nephew but he was too busy chasing girls & working. I finally gave it to a guy for helping me move. He was short of cash & needed a deer rifle.

Jim_P
12-26-2017, 07:18 PM
The 1 I've never shot I bought a month ago. Since then it's been just too darn cold to go to the range! Today the windchill hit 5. The mercury hit 15! It's 10 right now.

Divil
01-14-2018, 12:33 AM
I only have 4 rifles. All have been shot by me, they all work as designed, but I shoot my pistols probably 10x more often.

M_59
01-16-2018, 03:32 PM
I probably have 8-10 that I haven't shot. Pre-War M70 project rifle that will hopefully some day be made into a custom rifle, Rem 700 7mm Mag (have 2 and just haven't got to this one yet), 3 .243's I picked up for the grandkids (they won't be needing them for a while yet), a couple of AR15's that I put together, and a couple of Contender barrels that will need load development when the weather gets better.