PDA

View Full Version : 1873 Winchester 44/40 build dates

Four Fingers of Death
03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
The site I look up for this is not working properly and I did a search here without result.

I have the option to buy this rifle, s/n 548XX from memory.

I appears to be nickle which is just about worn off (or stove paint :( ) I know the nickle ones were rare, 1300 odd built.

Anyway, it cycles like as good as any stock winchester or uberti that I have seen, finish is fair 20"Bbb, saddle ring carbine (just how I like em') and the barrel is is fair condition. The rifling is all there, these is some erosion between the lands and there are a fair amount of lines running across the rifling (expansion cracks I suppose.

Anyone got any idea how old?

I looked at the 1873 section in my History of Winchester Firearms by D Barnes and the sight on mine is nothing like the several types in the book. This one has a folding leaf with the lower sight a set of cat's ears (deep V with a bit of a notch), which folds up to reveal a peep half way up and another shallower V Groove on top, giving you three sight elevations in effect. It is rather short and does not have a sliding bar like some of the older 92s that I have.

This is an interesting old gun and it is pretty cheap considering ($AU550).

I'm looking forward to your response

03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Yep, any 73 SRC is good. Looks like about 1880 for 548XX M73
Might add this site to "Favorites" http://oldguns.net/sn_php/winmods.htm

Four Fingers of Death
03-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Thanks 405, I go the 4 and the 8 a$$ backwards, but according to the site, it is still 1880.

I wonder if it would be good to go with Black Powder?

Just Duke
03-07-2010, 06:59 AM
We need pics!!! :)

03-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Whether or not the 73 is shootable is a tough question and in the end up to the shooter. They are nice because of the basic, easy to inspect mechanics. Take the side plates off and pull out the toggles. Check for cracks or excess wear. Inspect the pins that hold each toggle in place and the joint pin in each toggle. If the toggles just slightly "break over" when straightened out at bolt closing then it's a matter of firing a low pressure load (like 2F BP with a wad under 200 gr bullet) to check for headspace. One way to "see/feel" that break over (a check for excess wear or stretching in the action) is if the lever stays up when closed or wants to drop down by gravity because of its own weight once the action is closed. That's one of the reasons for the lever latch on the lower tang :) Excess headspace will be revealed, if after firing, the primer is backed out a bunch. It's common for most of them to show a little headspace, so the excess headspace is a judgement call. 73s are nice guns!

Four Fingers of Death
03-07-2010, 10:55 AM
The action cycles a smoothly and as positively as my 1866 and 1873 Ubertis. Sounds the same, feels the same. Amazing for something so old. The lever stays in place when closed.

I will buy it and pull the rifle down and have a look.

If it is shootable it will be a black powder deal only.

Kinda neat, 130 years old. I'm 62 and it was 68 years old when I popped out!

It is pre Boer War, pre Boxer rebellion, etc.

03-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Even with the questionable bore, it probably is worth it. The bore roughness may not affect accuracy but will likely make for more cleaning after shooting. There are parts available for them so if you find a few out of whack some chance to get the gun back to full function. One of the wear-out areas is the cartridge block lift system. Even then if it gets balky with loaded rounds coming out of the mag you can still shoot it single shot.

As far as the lever staying up on its own that is a good sign! There are two small flat springs inside the frame that ride over cams on the lever that help keep tension on it and help keep it up. When you get it apart the springs and cam lobes on the lever are very easy to inspect. The springs are held in tension by the two external bottom frame screws. I still think they are only secondary to a good compressed lock up of the toggles. Sounds fun and good luck!

03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
550 AUD should be about 500 in US dollars

Four Fingers of Death
03-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Well, I bought the gun today, I managed to trade for it, so it worked out cheaper in reality.

I had intended to clean it up, check it out, fire it with BP if safe and then sell it off for a profit.

It turns out that it belonged to one of the big farming families in the area, the Suttors (my street is named after them). They bought it new and it had been used continually around the farm until the 70s or thereabouts when the old guy who was the current head of the family who loaded the rounds for it passed away. After that they didn't bother loading the black powder rounds and bought factory ammo for more modern rifles.

Knowing the history it will be harder to part with it.

I'll try and get some photos up tomorrow.

Four Fingers of Death
03-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Congratulations Four Fingers Of Death. Sounds like the right man got the rifle. For $50 US the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum will send you an authentication letter of that Winchester.

Now that's a good idea!

I didn't get a chance to take pics today, I'll try again tomorrow.

My mate owe's me a heap of work and has offered to rust blue it and restore the woodwork. Don't know how to proceed on that one.