PDA

View Full Version : Just wandered in here...

Paratus
06-27-2006, 01:24 AM
.....for the first time. Looks like a good place to hang out. I'm from the land of Oz and my interest is strictly leverguns and Martinis.

I just entered the mysterious world of reloading - starting with the .310 Cadet. Loaded some up this morning but haven't been able to try them due to rain. You can probably expect some calls for reloading advice.

Bigjohn
06-27-2006, 03:18 AM
Welcome to the board, I think you will find a lot of like minded folk here. I shoot the single shot lever gun also and admit to having a .310" Cadet in the locker.

You are not the only aussie here especially from what I can tell and since I am one also.

Best of luck and see you around the threads again. Cheers:drinks: mate

John

P.S. As a side question, what are you loading in them cases?

Bad Ass Wallace
06-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Welcome mate,

I'm a bit partial to levers myself

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/BPCRTribe.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
06-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Very impressive Bad Ass. You need to get a Hi Wall to round that collection off. What calibres are they? Mick.

Ron
06-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Welcome Paratus, I don't shoot long guns, just the hand variety. You will learn a lot from the people here, a great bunch.

Regards from another Aussie.

trooperdan
06-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, I'll have to spoil it then! Five Aussies, all in one place and I don't think that is all of them by a long shot!

In any event, welcome Paratus and I'll be looking for advice on loading for the 310! I've just adopted seven of them from down under and we are just now getting acquainted. I have a lovely CBE brass or bronze mould that I have fired up yet but it looks great!

We have a powder in the US we call trail Boss but I think it is from Oz. It is a very bulky powder and the grains look like doughnuts with a big hole in the center. Does that sound like one of your powders? If so, do you think it would be a good choice for the 310?

NVcurmudgeon
06-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Welcome, Paratus. Good to see increasing numbers of Southern Hemisphere casters on this board. We need to keep the lead hoarding evenly distributed around the world to keep things in balance!

Bigjohn
06-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Trooperdan; Yes CBE's Jim makes a goooood mold I have several of his including the heel type for the .310. I also bought a H.T. BUGG heel type mold about the same time unfortunately neither have been broken in. The cadet is a lovely little childs rifle or adult plinker small game rifle, just fun to shoot.

NVcurmdgeon; yes siree we would not want this world getting out of balance by all the lead going north.

BAW; I agree with 4fingermick that collection looks a little unbalance there without a HIWALL to balance it out mate and I speak from experience.

Catch up with you all later,
John.

Four Fingers of Death
06-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Well, I'll have to spoil it then! Five Aussies, all in one place and I don't think that is all of them by a long shot!

In any event, welcome Paratus and I'll be looking for advice on loading for the 310! I've just adopted seven of them from down under and we are just now getting acquainted. I have a lovely CBE brass or bronze mould that I have fired up yet but it looks great!

We have a powder in the US we call trail Boss but I think it is from Oz. It is a very bulky powder and the grains look like doughnuts with a big hole in the center. Does that sound like one of your powders? If so, do you think it would be a good choice for the 310?

A lot of the Hodgson powders are made here under contract by ADI and are excellent quality powders, not sensitive to heat or cold and have a longggggggg shelf life. I thought that Trail Boss was an IMR powder

Bigjohn
06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, see'n as how we are comparing notes here, I'll put in my tuppence worth!

Note; the four legged dish licker decided to get out of the way of the mysterious camera in case it stole her soul. :Fire:

Top to bottom; .310" Martini Cadet, Stevens Mod 441/2 .22rf, .45/70 Martini Enfield, .303" Martini Enfield, .22rf Martini Cadet, 45/70 Pedersoli 1874 Sharps and Browning 45/70 BPCR Hiwall.

:castmine:
John

Buckshot
06-29-2006, 03:36 AM
.............You guys have some nice looking rifles. Amongst members of the board residing in the U.S., I think Jumptrap may have cornered the .310 experience.

............Buckshot

Bigjohn
06-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Some years back a writer for one of the local shooting magazines wrote an article in his column on reloading the .310". I have copies here which I will go through and see what relevant details he included and post them or smail if anyone would like a hard copy.

My scanner files are too big to post here.
Must go do the shopping now so I will get back to all of you later.

John