PDA

View Full Version : Realistically

docone31
03-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I have an 1851 .44 Navy. I know the Navy was not made in .44 back then, but what the heck.
Is it worth the extra to get a conical mold for it, or just stick with RBs?
I have a RB mold, and it does great. Is the conical worth it?

stubshaft
03-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Ususally best accuracy comes from round balls. I bought a conical mold for a Rem. 1860 clone just to give me an excuse to cast some up and a reason for further experimentation.

John Taylor
03-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Read an article about 20 years back that suggested loading conical backwards, makes wad cutters.

DwarvenChef
03-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Heard the backwards thing before as well, never tried it :p I just bought a CVA Navy kit to play with, but it's brass and I'll keep the bullets lite for it. But I do have a Walker and shot the conicles in it, had to lower the charge a bit, 55grs, but didn't get good shot patern... couldn't really call it a group... it was also at 25yds soooo... maybe I was pushing it.

lathesmith
03-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I've always gotten good accuracy from conicals in my front-stuffing revolvers, and I have even used one of these conical molds with OK results in a 45 cartridge conversion. Better than round ball? For casual plinking, no. But if you are going to hunt with it conicals will definitely give you more punch and would definitely be worthwhile. Something else to play with, anyway...

lathesmith

03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
agree with lathesmith,
If you push an oversized RB into a throat you end up with a short RN conical with a rounded base. A normal C&B conical will have a tad longer nose and have a flat base :)

long truncated cone concials are a different critter

Hellgate
03-07-2010, 06:09 PM
I have several 44cal "navies". Don't bother to get a conical mold for it as they will not accept the longer conical. There is not enough room under the rammer. The "Navy" 44s are RB shooters only. It is even difficult to fit a conical under some of the 1860 Colt army revolvers. Remingtons of all makes will take the conicals as will the 36 cal Colt navy repros.

Timmer
03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
If you want to try conicals then be prepared to purchase a press to load the conicals into the cylinder with the cylinder removed from your pistol. Most Navys do not have enough space under the loading leaver to allow the conical to be pressed into place. Just my experence. Plus I found that round balls are more accurate than conicals. Again just my experence.

docone31
03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I have a good RB mold, I am glad you guys did the experimenting for me.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Thanks again.

NickSS
03-12-2010, 05:29 AM
I have two conical molds one for a 36 and one for my Ruger OA. I have only fired a few through the OA and got poor accuracy so stick with the RB in it. In my 36 colt Navy I get good results and use it when I am using that gun for small game hunting. It gives better penetration on critters like coyote at longer ranges (like 40 to 50 yards)