PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg ATR Barrel

bstarling
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Does anyone know what the barrel thread specs on the Mossberg ATR 100 are? These rifles are set up like the Savage with a barrel nut arrangement. It would be really nifty if they used the same thread specs.

Just wondering, since I have an ATR in 270 that want's to be messed with.

Thanks,

Bill

swheeler
03-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Bill I have no idea what the thread is on the Mossberg ATR, but I think someone on the forum had one rebarreled by ER Shaw to 35 Whelen, maybe search 35 Whelen. Scot

bstarling
03-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks, Scot. I just can't seem t get the change barrel thing out of my mind. Sometimes my wife think's I out of my mind, but that is a different thing! [smilie=l:

swheeler
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Sometimes my wife think's I out of my mind, but that is a different thing! [smilie=l:[/QUOTE]

Mine too, most of the time! Har

jbunny
03-11-2010, 12:16 AM
bstarling; i have seen axtr fire 5 shots from brand new and the pin that holds
the bolt head on to the bolt brake of. this pin has a hole just like the savage does.
however the savage has a wavey washer between the bolt and bolt head to absorb
the shock. the xtr didn't and the hole in the pin was so big that there was only 5 or 6
thou of meat on each side of the fireing pin hole. take ur bolt apart and see if yours is the same
jb

roverboy
03-12-2010, 11:30 AM
I've got a 100atr and its accurate and handy but I'm not crazy about the bolt design either. Seems a little fragile to me too. Thanks for bringing this up. I've never heard anybody say this.
I broke a extractor on mine after about 30 rds. Ordered one and fixed it but shouldn't have happened.

bstarling
03-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I just went and measured my ATR's bolt head retainer pin. The pin is 0.243" and the firing pin through hole in the pin is 0.014" . This leaves 0.229" on the sides of the pin. That comes to side thickness on the pin to be 0.1145" of alloy steel. That should be more than enough to hold the thing together. I have heard of some problems with this but personally have had nothing but good shooting out of my 270. Thus far, I've put a couple of hundred rounds down the barrel and had zero issues. Mine is a later model made in 2009 and that may well have some bearing on this discussion. I would not hesitate to shoot this one or any other ATR. I am wanting to take advantage of the barrel arrangement to make a 35 Whelen barrel for it. It is set up like the Savage with a barrel nut.

Back to the point, does anyone know what the thread specs on these guns is?

Bill

roverboy
03-14-2010, 12:51 PM
No I have no idea what the thread pitch and diameter would be. If you removed the barrel you could measure with calipers and check threads per inch with thread guage. Surely it's U.S. standard but you never know. The Allen screw that holds the barreled action in the stock on my rifle is metric. That was a shock. Good Luck. Keep us up to date on progress.