PDA

View Full Version : Possible new twist on shot loads

Boolitshooter
03-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi all, I'm a new poster here, but have been reading for quite awhile now.
I am looking for help to see if the below is feasable. If it is it would reduce steps in forming shot shells. I am currently making mine as the "Duke" discribed in Handloadwewr, gas checks and #12 shot.
Hornady makes a case taper crimp die for the express purpose of loading blanks. The finished shape looks like a 22 LR bird shot load.
I am contemplating using the die for a 45 LC. Inserting a gas check over the powder charge then filling the case to within 1/8 in. from the top and crimp.
What say you all.
Thanks, Steve

Buckshot
03-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Hi all, I'm a new poster here, but have been reading for quite awhile now.
I am looking for help to see if the below is feasable. If it is it would reduce steps in forming shot shells. I am currently making mine as the "Duke" discribed in Handloadwewr, gas checks and #12 shot.
Hornady makes a case taper crimp die for the express purpose of loading blanks. The finished shape looks like a 22 LR bird shot load.
I am contemplating using the die for a 45 LC. Inserting a gas check over the powder charge then filling the case to within 1/8 in. from the top and crimp.
What say you all.
Thanks, Steve

............I can see no reason as to why it would be unsafe which would be MOST important. Not being an expert on shotshell loads from revolvers I can't offer any thoughts on why it would be ill advised. My cousin made shotshells to use in a 45ACP cylinder for a RBH 45 Colt. IIRC he used .300 Savage cases cut off right at the chamber mouth. I also know he used #9 shot under a cardwad with the case roll crimped over it and then sealed with Elmer's wood glue. No idea what powder charge.

His dad and my grandparents both had farms in the same vacinity and they grew lots of rice. He said it was no big deal for him to shoot several Water Moccasins each day while out working.

Also, a hearty welcome to the board!

..............Buckshot

nicholst55
03-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Here's an alternative:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=77286

geargnasher
03-07-2010, 01:11 AM
That's a good article by Mike Venturino, pretty much covers the basics of traditional revolver shotshell methods.

Here's another way: http://www.gunblast.com/Snake_Stopper.htm.

I've been experimenting extensively with revolver shot loads for a while and I believe I have a better way. All those other methods made me sick of the leading, poor patterns, low power, ball richochets, etc. Check this out: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=77286

If you have any questions feel free to pm,

Gear

geargnasher
03-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Here's an alternative:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=77286

Thanks for the plug, I was tootin' my own horn while you were posting!

Gear

DLCTEX
03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Two problems that may arise are: the diminished case capacity caused by tapering the mouth of the case., and shortened case life due to the crimping. You don't state which caliber you are loading shot for, but for 45 ACP I cut 30-06 class cases to the length of a normal loaded round (1.275) and then size the neck portion in a 41 sizer die until it will seat flush with the hood of my barrel. I then load using styrofoam wads cut from a takeout tray for over powder and overshot wads, gluing the overshot wad in place.

Boolitshooter
03-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Thank you all who have responded.
I was not looking for an alternative to what I had suggested, just your thoughts on it. My thinking is to reduce the steps in forming a good shot shell load.
Using a 45LC pistol and using a .454 Casull case I do not believe I will reduce the amout of shot in loading for a 45LC. I also believe if using the .454 case I could have it function in a Rossi or Browning rifle if need be. Leading is not a concern at this point, I have a dedicated shotshell 45LC pistol for the buzztails.
Steve

geargnasher
03-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Boolitshooter, I understand where you're coming from, and if you're trying to follow the KISS principle, use the gas check method or experiment with the case crimp. I see no particular reason why it won't work, in fact it works very well for the .45 ACP if you take the time to work up THE exact load for each gun it's used in.

RCBS used to make one of those die sets, very pricey but made beautiful star crimps on .454 ACP and would probably work just as well for the .45 colt. Keep in mind that not much is gained from using .454 Casull brass, since it is only 1/10" longer than .45 Colt. If you "star" crimp the case mouth, you will be losing considerable volume, and I'm not sure that it would be an advantage over the method you're already using with the overshot gas check.

I'm also not sure how well they would function in a levergun, you're talking a .300-.400" shorter COAL than normal if you star crimp the case mouth, you might be better off making a shot capsule like I was recommending and make the nose forming collar more of a RFN design.

Gear