View Full Version : Got a craven flung on me. 45 colt?

littlejack
03-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Howdy fellas.
I would imagine that this has been cussed ans discussed plenty. But I didn't
have an urge then. I do now though. I've been a hankerin for a 45 Colt clone for
a while now. I know that there are plenty out there to choose from, but don't
know anything about the quality of any of them. I do know that the Ruger is just
about indestructible. I have heard that the Vaquero is of the same quality. Very
tough.
I do like the looks of the firing pin mounted in the hammer, as opposed
to the Ruger system, even though this means that one should only carry five
rather than six rounds. I do not plan on any fast and fancy shootin or any
cowboyaction shootin. Just slow shooting with as accurate shot placement as
possible, and a woods carry piece.
I do own a Uberti Highwall and it seems to be made very well. I have looked at
the Uberti SSA on the net and like what I see. I need to go down a rub a few to
get the the feel and check out the quality. I like the looks of the USFA handguns
but didn't want to pay that much for one, not knowing that they were worth that
much more than the others.
OK fellas, after all of that, can you folks that have a Colt clone let me know any
of the advantages or disadvantages of any on the market.
Any expierienced input will be greatly appreciated.
Jack

2muchstuf
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I'll be watchin this thread closely.
I got the same craven flung on me.

Dennis Eugene
03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Well I see your from Western Oregon, and if you are lookin' for a woods carry gun ya might give the Ruger a second thought, as big cats and a black bear might make a guy wish he had 6 rounds instead of just five. Also beings that ya want a 45 colt cal. you got to relize that you can handload the Ruger hotter than all colt and colt clones and that might also impress the big cats and bears. But then I'm a big Ruger fan. Dennis

targetshootr
03-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Depends on how much you wanna spend. USFA Rodeos are a bargain and then the highest end SAA is the STI Texican, vrtually a factory custom gun.

hickstick_10
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
would it kill ya to buy american??

you want a good 45? get yourself a ruger blackhawk, that gun will last you a lifetime and then some.

I myself wanted a old style revolver, and pretty much all of them italian were cheesily finished just didnt appeal to me (the exception was the berreta stampede)

So once again I got a ruger old army, 10 times the gun of the italians.

I've had a chance to see those italian repros age and how they look after some use, not pretty. A stainless ruger single action can be given a 5 minute rub with an sos pad and she looks new.

haven't got a clue
03-05-2010, 10:14 PM
buy a used Ruger 45 or 44 (condition doesn't matter) send it off to John Linebaugh in Cody Wy. and have him build you a "small conversion" 45 colt. It's a killin machine!!

littlejack
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. I did own a Ruger Blackhawk that I gought new back in 1968. It was the .41 mag. I shot that handgun so much that it was a shame to make it fire the next round. I used it in fast draw competition and it kept on tickin. I sold it to my uncle and he still shoots it now and again. No doubt, they are tough. I was wanting one of the old Colt clones. I like the looks. I realize that the loads will be restricted to the lighter pressures because of the light frames.
I did check on one of the old model Ruger Bisley Vaqueros this week, but I was too late. It was sold for 450.00. What I thought was a good buy. I do not need all the power of the magnums. I have changed my thinking in the last 40 years as to what will make a firearm cartridge better or not. I believe that the 255 grain slug at 1000 to 1200 fps will penetrate as far as needs be on any game here in Oregon and probably full through most animals.
Keep the replies coming fellas.
Jack

9.3X62AL
03-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Ruger Vaquero would get my vote, due to its strength. But if ya just gotta have a Colt repro, the price/quality meet point of the USFA Rodeo impresses me a lot.

jh45gun
03-06-2010, 01:09 AM
I love my Uberti imported by Taylor's and Co. I disagree with those that say these guns do not last nor do they age well. I did a lot of searching on the net for opinions before I bought mine to make sure they were a good buy with few issues. On the flip side of the coin if you get a good Ruger you will have a good gun BUT and I mean BUT Ruger is not with out their issues also. They may be strong but you may have to send the gun back to Ruger for issues that seem to be reoccurring or send the gun to a gunsmith of your choice to get the issues fixed if you do not want to send it to Ruger which may or may not fix your problem. Of course the Ruger fans dismiss such talk but it has been well addressed on this forum and others. I will not own an other Ruger after having issues with several of their guns.I have owned or own Marlin, Henry, Remington, Winchester, Savage, Mossberg, guns in the past and never had to send one back to the factory with the exception of the Henry which had a minor problem and the President of the company who personally handles customer complaints (You do not see that often) sent me a prepaid shipping label and I had the gun back in less then a week in perfect working order) Which is something I have not read here on this forum about Rugers performance.

Trey45
03-06-2010, 01:13 AM
OLD model Vaquero, the new model aint as strong and will grenade on ya if you put a full bore Ruger only load through it. If you're not looking for Thors hammer, USFA makes a fine Colt Clone. Or a New Model Vaquero as long as you NEVER run a Ruger only load through her.

Dale53
03-06-2010, 01:24 AM
I vote for the Ruger for ruggedness and all around reliability. However, I have a very nice Colt Clone that I have been VERY happy with. It's a Cimarron in .44 Special (you can easily find one in .45 Colt). It is, hands down, the prettiest handgun I own:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0315.jpg

The sights are very similar to the 1st Generation Colts (that is to say, TERRIBLE). The revolver shoots extremely well (well under 1" at 25 yards) but doesn't quite shoot to point of aim for me. The fixed sights make correcting that a bit of a chore - doable, but a pain, nonetheless.

Dale53

jh45gun
03-06-2010, 01:51 AM
That is nice looking Dale my Taylors and Co. Uberti Looks pretty much the same. I found a dab of that white correction fluid for paper on my front sight applied at the top fourth of the sight made sighting chores a bit easier.

littlejack
03-06-2010, 03:20 AM
Dale, that IS one fine lookin piece.
Jack

Bucks Owin
03-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Sounds like you need a Ruger Blackhawk .45. You can stick with Colt SAA level loads for plinking, or load to .44 mag ballistics if desired for woods carry. One sixgun to do it all! JMO...

healey55
03-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Pretty sure that with the clones if you load up 45 colt rounds to shoot 1200 fps with a 255 grain slug that you are gonna break the gun pretty darn soon.

I wish that they made a colt sized single action in 44 mag that I could shoot 250 grain slugs at 1200 fps out of.

Bucks Owin
03-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I wish that they made a colt sized single action in 44 mag that I could shoot 250 grain slugs at 1200 fps out of. Well, how about the Ruger NM .44 Spl "Flattop"?

jtaylor1960
03-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I just bought a 45 Colt in a Ruger Blackhawk in stainless with a 4 5/8" barrel.It was a special run from Davidsons.I was looking for a gun to carry in the woods for protection or maybe hunting.I have dies and lots of molds so all I needed was the gun.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Say, did I tell you about my vaquero 45 with the barrel pinched down in diameter at the throat by 2 thousandths from cylinder sizes and every cylinder hole approaching 453 with a 452 groove. The Ruger tech I spoke with said it was in specification, not to bother sending in in. Or tell you about my two Ubertis ten years apart both checked by a highly experienced colt armorer with near perfect timng, correct cylinder hole/barrel relationships, and well done finishes.

I do like some Ruger rifles though, and have been "lucky". BvT

ktw
03-06-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm in the same boat as the original poster. Shopping for a single action in a colt sized frame.

It won't be a large frame Ruger. I've always thought it was going to be a USFA SAA. It probably still will be, but the Uberti/Beretta's are looking pretty good for significantly less money.

-ktw

Gee_Wizz01
03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I have a couple of Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt and a Uberti Cattleman that is a dead ringer of Dale 53's. I like the Blackhawks very much, but the Uberti is my favorite. The Uberti is perfectly timed, the cylinder throats are perfectly sized for the bore and it is a tack driver. I put Wolff springs in both the Uberti and the Rugers, the Uberti now has a 1 1/2 lb trigger pull that breaks like glass; the Rugers have a 3 1/2 lb pull with some creep. The finish on the Uberti is a deep blue which is much nicer than the Ruger. I have fired about 500 rds through the Uberti without a hitch. The Uberti shot to point of aim at 25 yds without any adjustment. One Ruger needs to go back to Ruger to get a new taller front sight because it shoots 6" high at 25 yds with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. My Old Ruger has .455" throats and a .452 Bore and leads badly. My new Ruger has properly sized throats but the frame does not fit the grip frame properly. Ruger will fix these problems at no cost to me. I dont know how Uberti handles warranty work, as mine doesn't need any. Each of these guns has its place, the Rugers are my hunting guns and I load them hot for pig hunting. The Uberti is my fun gun and I love to target shoot and plin with it. I have no problems with Uberti's and they are a lot of fun to shoot. Try one, you will like it.

G

jhrosier
03-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Ruger started making the Ruger New Vaquero a number of years ago.
It is a different gun than the original Ruger Vaquero, having a smaller frame and cylinder.
The Ruger New Vaquero is nearly identical to the original Colt Peacemaker in both form and function. The noticeable difference is the transfer bar in the Ruger that makes it safe to carry with all six chambers loaded.
Being the same size as the Colt, it is not surprising that the Ruger New Vaquero is restricted to the same pressures as the Colt.

I have owned and shot Ruger single action revolvers for more than forty years.
During this time, exactly one gun went back to the factory for replacement.
It was a Bearcat that escaped the factory with the barrel mounted crooked in the frame. They replaced it without question.
I have owned somewhere around fifty Ruger single actions in every caliber and model offered by the factory and all of them shot at least acceptably, many surprisingly well.

I have learned that not every gun will give good results with every load.
Just about any gun will give good results with the right load.
I very seldom have to clean lead out of my barrels, except when I am looking for the 'right' load.

Jack

jh45gun
03-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Well then Jack I would say your one lucky rascal as not all have had your luck with Rugers myself included. Ah one more thing if these Rugers were so good why did you need to try out 50 of them. LOL

EDK
03-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Pretty sure that with the clones if you load up 45 colt rounds to shoot 1200 fps with a 255 grain slug that you are gonna break the gun pretty darn soon.

I wish that they made a colt sized single action in 44 mag that I could shoot 250 grain slugs at 1200 fps out of.

You guys need to watch the internet auctions, etc. and get Original Size VAQUEROS in 44 magnum or 45 Colt...plenty of them out there currently. While a shade bigger than a NEW VAQUERO or a Colt SAA, the gun is built to withstand reloads that "none but the brave enjoy!"

:cbpour::redneck:

PS I've bought several VAQUEROS from NorthWest Armory in Portland OR...there's a stainless 45 BISLEY up on auction currently on auctionarms.

Gee_Wizz01
03-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Jack

I have also owned and shot Ruger revolvers for over 40 years while I don't have fifty of them, I still have quite a few and I still own all of the Rugers I have ever purchased, and as a matter of fact I bought a new one yesterday and I stated very clearly I like my Rugers. What I am trying to say, is that there is nothing wrong with the "Italian" Colt clones and I agree they are not as strong as a Ruger, but they are still very good guns. My Blackhawk leads because it has .454 and .455 throats with a .452 bore and also slight constriction in the threads in the frame. I still like the gun an I have owned it for 34 years and wouldn't part with it. Rugers aren't perfect, but they are fine guns. My only complaint about the "New" transfer bar models is that they don't have the great triggers of the "old" models. My 1968 Super single six is a sweetheart as is my 50 year old Bearcat.

jhrosier
03-06-2010, 08:04 PM
... Ah one more thing if these Rugers were so good why did you need to try out 50 of them. LOL

I was in and out of love with single actions until about 25 years ago.
Bought and sold eight or ten during that time.

Here is a photo from three or four years ago.

http://images18.fotki.com/v341/photos/5/590147/2786028/pickone-vi.jpg

Here is part of the current herd....
There's another dozen that were aquired since the photo.
I haven't got rid of any in quite a while. (Don't plan to, either.;-))
'Smattern fact, I'm picking up another in a week or so...A Ruger New Vaquero 4-5/8" in 45 Colt that is going to be put into service as my woods packin' pistol.

Jack

jhrosier
03-06-2010, 08:30 PM
... My only complaint about the "New" transfer bar models is that they don't have the great triggers of the "old" models... .

Sadly true. They do get better after a couple thousand rounds, though.[smilie=l:

Jack

geargnasher
03-06-2010, 10:14 PM
20 bucks spent a Brownell's fixes all trigger woes for New Vaqueros.

Uberti SAA clones (two that I know of in .45 Colt) destroy their cylinder base pins when they jump out of their oversized crossbolt notches, and also begin failing to lock up when the stupidly oversprung cylinder bolt smacks the cylinder just prior to lockup and it's crown gets peened larger than the bolt slot in the cylinder. Get a new, properly sized base pin from Brownell's with a locking setscrew BEFORE this happens, and also get a wire spring conversion set for the cylinder bolt/trigger and hammer which also includes a super-strength crossbolt spring. Problem fixed forever for about $45.

Bottom line for me is they all have their problems, but the Rugers are built much better, machined better, and are RELIABLE above all else. The Ubertis of all flavors are much prettier, have more comfortable stocks and grip frames, and the ones I've seen are all dimensioned properly (cylinder throats and bore) whereas Ruger is challenged in this department. Take your pick, but it's hard to beat a NMB or a nice New Vaquero. I've had these and the Ubertis apart and I'll take the Ruger every time, even if they're not as easy on the eyes.

Gear

03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Dejavu all over again :roll:
littlejack, choosing a gun is sooooo subjective not much anyone can say. I don't know how but the Ruger line has a following, a collector's niche in the market if you will- almost like an historical antique following ???? .... if possible future gun values mean anything to you. The Ruger thing makes little sense to me but 'tis true. If you want a beat around tool that will likely provide good long service, maintain some value, have the more or less correct historic outward appearance, be fairly easy on the budget, shoot a 250gr cast bullet to about 850 fps then the New Vaquero may be the best compromise. But if you like the firing pin on the hammer then who knows?
I agree with the post, "...what's wrong with buying American..."

I looked closely over and into a Ruger New Vaquero 45 C the other day. Very, very comfortable in the hand. I'm not a big Ruger fan but I can see how that model could work very well for a "carry shooter user tool". My impression was that the slimmer grip and outside dimensions make it feel much like a real Colt SAA... or clone. The only unknown, common to many revolvers, is the throat to bore match.... always a cr#p shoot (dice roll). BTW, for those who think maintaining value is of little consequence, I just traded a base model 3rd gen (2005) Colt SAA in 38-40 for a NIB old stock (Hartford 2005) Winchester Safari Express in 416 Rem. I didn't need the Colt, but wanted the Winchester.

jh45gun
03-07-2010, 05:00 AM
I have always liked single actions but I could not see owning that many as how many are actually used and how many are safe queens? I buy guns to use and I figure the more you use a particular gun the better you will get with it. But hey if ya can afford it more power to ya. I guess if nothing else its a good investment.

littlejack
03-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Well, I must say. "I guess I didn't really expect any fewer opinions than have been posted".
For all of the opinions, I appreciate all of you expressing your personal views. I guess, It boils down to what strikes my fancy.
If Ruger was to make New Model Vaquero with a hammer mounted firing pin, or the Old Model Vaquero with the hammer mounted firing pin, there would be no question. The Old Model would take the heavier loads and supply my weakness for the Colt look hammer. The New Model would do the same but not take the heavier loads. A'lass, neither has the Colts look regarding the hammer.
Now we come to the clones. None have the strength to take the heavier loads, but do have my preferred Colt hammer. I do believe that the USFA and the STI are probably the best in quality production firearms. The problem here'in lies. My wife can't see why I would pay 500-600 for one of the Uberti clones. I haven't even mentioned the others to her approaching$1000.00 or even higher.
I do believe there are lemons in every product line. Some of you all have expierienced this.
As was said earlier, it is a **** shoot as to if a person will get a good one or not. I will have to think on it a while.
Thanks to all for your input.
Jack

jh45gun
03-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Look around you can get a Uberti cheaper than that, I paid 360 bucks for mine used (A Taylor's and Co) at it was in mint condition. I Doubt it had a box of shells though it when I got it.

littlejack
03-07-2010, 08:28 PM
jh:
I went lookin after posting that last reply. One shop had three Taylor Cattleman. One was a 5.5" factory tuned for 625.00. Then the 4.75" Cattleman, 450.00. The other had adjustable target sights. I did not price that one. Anyway, the factory tuned piece was just like silk, very smooth, nice trigger, checkered wood grips. The untuned was very stiff compared to the tuned piece. The trigger pull was good though. Neither had near the good looking case coloring as the one posted on this thread. Still lookin.
Question:
Would a gunsmith be able to fit a Colt type hammer (fabricate one from the original Ruger hammer) in an old style Ruger Vaquero? I see no reason why they would not. Also have to take out the floater firing pin, drill out the firing pin hole in the frame to match the firing pin in the hammer. Just a matter of money.
Jack

jh45gun
03-07-2010, 09:43 PM
If your gonna spend that money on a maybe iffy Ruger I would just buy the slicked up Uberti or the More expensive USFA. My Cattleman is very smooth but then maybe Taylors slicks them up compared to other importers?

Dale53
03-07-2010, 10:21 PM
jh45gun;
Not to be argumentative, but I have a half dozen Rugers and not a one of them can, by ANY stretch of the imagination, be called IFFY!. They do benefit from a trigger job and some of the .45 Colts do need to have the cylinder reamed. However, having said that, my Rugers will be running a LOT longer than my Colt Clone (or original Colt) without any parts breakage, et al. Rugers are just plain reliable in most every way.

I will not bore you with all of the tales of original Colts that required nearly rebuilding before they were satisfactory by ANY stretch of the imagination.

Colts are pretty, I'll give you that but just remember what Forest Gump stated, "Pretty is as pretty does".

Get a Ruger BlackHawk, do a bit of tuning, and you'll have an accurate revolver that'll last you three life times. The adjustable sights will allow you to zero your favorite load and will do it with a great sight picture. And you will NOT have $1000.00+ invested in it.

Looks like a win, win, win to me...

YMMV
Dale53

ktw
03-08-2010, 12:37 AM
Rugers are just plain reliable in most every way.

I can sympathize with what the original poster is asking for and I don't think it's a Ruger.

I already have a good utlitarian (dependable, accurate, strong, adjustable sighted) single action revolver. That's already covered. Not looking for another one of those.

Now I want a really good looking one. Fixed sights are OK. Reasonably authentic to an earlier era would be great. Restricted to Colt SAA level loads is no problem.

In this arena your choices appear to run to Colt, USFA or Uberti/Beretta, depending on your budget. The medium frame New Vaquero isn't far off, but as far as I'm concerned Ruger hasn't offered a really first rate blueing job since the days of the 3 screws.

It's kind of like someone looking for a good replica of an 1860 Colt and everyone telling him he really needs a Stainless Steel Ruger Old Army instead. The ROA may be a better shooter but that's really not the point.

-ktw

Dale53
03-08-2010, 01:03 AM
ktw;
>>>It's kind of like someone looking for a good replica of an 1860 Colt and everyone telling him he really needs a Stainless Steel Ruger Old Army instead.<<<

Yeah, you're probably right there, I probably would[smilie=1:. (you've been reading my "script" or somethin':mrgreen:).

I will say this about my Cimarron. It has the best factory trigger on any single action I have seen (2 lbs and absolutely crisp and clean). It is beautiful and shoots really well. The only thing it needs is regulated so it hits where it aims. Of course, the sights are like 1st Generation Colts (terrible) so that is a draw back. Mine is also timed perfectly (no ring around the cylinder, etc).

Like Colts and other clones it is prone to small, flat spring, breakage, if used a lot. That is just part of the game, if you go that route.

I hear great things about the new Beretta's. They have installed new CNC machinery and work well, if you must have a Colt or clone.

Here is a picture I took of a friend's matched pair of American Western Arms Co. "Peace Keepers". They are beautiful revolvers, timed perfectly, and can be had for less than a Colt:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QPaulsSASelects-0095.jpg

FWIW
Dale53

littlejack
03-08-2010, 01:43 AM
ktw:
Now you have hit it right on the head.
Dale, those are mighty purty twins.
Anyone heard of Able's, out of Huntsville Texas? They have the Uberti El Patrone for 485.00. That is the same factory tuned piece that I looked at here locally for 625.00. That sounds like one hell of a buy. It also has the 5.5" barrel to my like'in.
Oh, one other thing. I was reading an article by our own "Duke" Venturino on the Colt 45 cartridge. He is not real impressed with it, by the way. He stated that if some of the clones come with the interchangable cylinders for the 45 acp, and the acp SAAMI max pressure is 21,000 psi, then the clones are capable of handling that much pressure. That make sense to me. Anyone have any rebuttle to this statement?
He also stated that using 45AR cases would be the logical choice over the Colt case with smokeless powder, because the small powder charge that it took to get bullet to its intended velocity wouldn't be captured in a overlsized case compared to that of the AR case. Any opinions? Has anyone hera loaded 45AR cases in their 45Colt chambers?
Jack

jh45gun
03-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Dale, I have had a couple of 44 mag Blackhawks One Good One Bad A couple of Single Sixes too One Good One Bad that is a 50 percent failure rate not very good in my book and for some one who never has had a pile of money at any time in his life any gun purchase has been a scrimping and saving situation. I never could just go out and buy what ever I wanted. My brother now passed on shot Smith&Wesson's most of his working life he was a WI State Trooper then a WI Game Warden from which he retired after a long career. He was a good enough pistol shot that he was on the State Pistol team. When he retired he bought a 357 Blackhawk and he could not get it to shoot as well as any of his Smiths he shot in his career as a LEO. While some cops have the rep they cannot shoot that was not my Brother he was an excellent Pistol shot. That Ruger was a disappointment to him as well. His son has the gun and he also has stated it does not shoot anywhere as well as his Smith&Wessons. So that is 5 Rugers I am very familular with and two out of the 4 I owned were bad and my brothers while nothing wrong with it was no tack driver. I think if the same happened to you maybe you would not be so on the Ruger band wagon. I have owned other Rugers in my life so it is not that I have not given them a fair shake. In fairness the 22 LR semi auto MK series shoot well. The Ten 22's are OK but they out of the box can use improvement which is why there are so many companies making after market parts. Model 77 and the Model 1&3 have been known for bad barrels in some of the guns. The issues with the single actions have been well discussed here as Rugers some what iffy customer service. Put it this way in my lifetime I have owned more than a few Rugers some good some bad. The bad ones have turned me off Ruger for good unless I could get one I could shoot first before I bought it which in most cases you cannot with a used gun and never with a new one. My Uberti I would not have but I traded off a Marlin 22 and a Encore Barrel plus a small amount of cash to make up the difference. If I had not the bad experiences with Ruger single actions I most likely would have tried an other after the two bad ones I decided to go with some one else and I am completely satisfied with my Uberti.

One other thing call me old fashioned but I feel you buy a product it should be the best it should be from the factory. Sure we have all heard of lemons especially in the car business. Some in the gun business too. But them we normally hear of and buy accordingly.

Dale53
03-08-2010, 02:43 AM
jh45gun;
I guess we have just simply had different experiences. We are ALL shaped by our personal experiences. For most of my life, I didn't have much disposable income. So, I, like you, HAD to get the most out of my hard earned dollars. My first Ruger was a .44 Magnum Super Black Hawk. .44 Magnum Smiths were selling for $500.00 (double list price) and I had a chance to trade for the Ruger. It turned out to be the most accurate .44 Magnum at our local gun club (this was in the late fifties). The gun had been somewhat abused (I strongly suspected lots of fanning). The firing pin bushing was worn out to the point it broke the firing pin. I was trained as a machinist and mechanic so when I replaced the firing pin I also replaced the bushing. It has since shot at least 10,000 full charge .44 magnum rounds and is still in great shape (a bit of holster wear but mechanically near perfect).

Then I had a run of S&W's (mostly from various deals that were available from time to time and any of the new ones were wholesale, etc as the family shop had a FFL). Then came NRA Bullseye, then IPSC with 1911's. Fast forward to this past year. I bought three different Ruger single actions:

1 - 50th Anniversary Flattop .44 Magnum - needed only a trigger job. Perfectly
sized cylinder throats and shoots well under an inch at 25 yards. Polishing
not perfect but acceptable. Bluing good. Love the new pawl system.

2 - .44 Lipsey Special 5½". Cylinder throats perfectly sized. Again, love the new
pawl system. Had a trigger job done. Shoots one hole well under an inch at
25 yards. Altogether a VERY nice revolver. Polishing very well done and a
very nice somewhat muted bluing job.

3 - Ruger SS Bisley Convertible .45 Colt/,45 ACP. Absolutely excellent polishing.
Cylinder throats a bit undersize for cast bullets (fine for jacketed but not for
cast). I borrowed a Manson reamer kit from a friend and reamed both
cylinders to .4525". It was a ten minute low stress job. Had a trigger job
done and the original pawl modified to a "free spin" pawl. Both cylinders
shoot under 1" at 25 yards. I was a bit concerned about whether this was
a practical set up with two cylinders. I shouldn't have worried. It is a real
pleasure to shoot the ACP cylinder with target loads indoors and out at our
local club and be able to have the serious power of the heavily loaded .45
Colt for those "Ruger only" loads if I need to.

4 - I nearly forgot. A number of years ago I was very active in Black Powder
Cartridge Rifle Silhouette matches. A number of the matches had side
matches for revolver. They were fixed sights and black powder only. Some
were silhouette matches and some were score matches using NRA targets.
I bought a Vaquero in .45 Colt with 5½" barrel.
That revolver was rather remarkable. With black powder, it would shoot
under 2" at 25 yards, shot exactly to the sights right out of the box and had
a very good set of fixed sights (nice square notch and a nice width of front
sight that worked very well. I won a number of matches with that revolver
and learned a good bit about the original black powder .45 Colt and what a
power house it was for the times. My crowning touch was a side match at
The NMLRA Silhouette matches at Friendship, In where I won seven of the
eight matches which included a 92 slowfire at 50 yards (holding off due to
fixed sights).

Those have been my experiences with Ruger and frankly, they have been positive.

Dale53

Dale53
03-08-2010, 02:54 AM
littlejack;
The Ruger convertibles are certainly able to handle 25,000 psi loads on a regular basis (the shooter may not be but the revolvers will:rolleyes:).

You can not use .45 Auto Rim cases in a .45 Colt cylinder. In fact, in the Ruger convertible you cannot use Auto Rim cases in the .45 ACP cylinder. The .45 ACP cylinder is chambered for and will only accept .45 ACP cases.

However, the demand from Cowboy shooters for smaller capacity cases for the .45 Colt has resulted in the .45 Cowboy Special. This is a relatively new case that has the same capacity as the .45 ACP and .45 Auto Rim but has a .45 Colt rim. So, you can use it in .45 Colt cylinders just like shooters use .38 Specials in .357 magnum chambered revolvers. Here is the story on the .45 Cowboy Special:

http://www.cowboy45special.com/cowboy45brass.html

Dale53

littlejack
03-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Dale, thanks for the info on the 45 special.
Jack

jh45gun
03-08-2010, 09:02 AM
One difference between you and I Dale it sounds like you are a gunsmith or a machinist who can fix any issues that come up with your guns. Not all of us are that lucky. While I like to tinker with some guns (Muzzle Loaders and some Milsurps) I do not have the tools or the education to fix most gun issues. So it is off to a gun smith or back to the factory. I wish I would not have traded off or sold the two good Ruger Single actions that I had they were good guns. Later on I decided to replace both guns the 44 and 22. Both later versions were not as good as the older ones. In fact both shot terrible which is why I suspect they were on the used counter at the gun shop. Both looked in great shape in fact I suspect the Single Six in Stainless had less then a couple of boxes of shells through it. Considering some of the complaints on the New Rugers I would think this is an issue. I really do not think this is the same company being run now as it was when Bill founded It.