PDA

View Full Version : Hoch nose pour

SCHUETZENBOOMER
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I am getting a Hoch nose pour mold (377290) early next week. I have never used a nose-pour....any suggestions?

Bent Ramrod
03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Run it hot--there's a lot of mass to heat up and keep hot. Make sure no crud gets under the top and bottom plates or it may scratch the top and bottom of the mould, and ultimately the bases. It may take a session or two before the mould is fully broken in and the castings all fill out, but that time will come. They are good moulds.

John Boy
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Ramrod is correctamundo!
In addition, stone the edges of the mold halves more and also the bottom and edges of the sprue plate ... metplat will be completely flat with no dig marks on it

Crash_Corrigan
03-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah to the above. I have one of those in 695 GR Creedmoor Boolit for my Big Fifty and if I can pry my shooting buddies hands offa it I might be able to make some boolits with it. Of course I hafta return his molds and dies at the same time and since I am so disorganized that may be some time in the future.

I had no idea that I have accumumlated so much reloading stuff over the years. I cannot find a piece of horizontal surface to place a coffee cup on my reloading bench. There is stuff there piled in layers. If my SWMBO ever saw that she would be agast. However my dog could care less and I am easy to please.

SCHUETZENBOOMER
03-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I cast with the new(old) mold last night. Gave it a good scrub and the mold-prep treatment. Cast for nearly 45 minutes making all sorts of nasty looking boolits. Finally out of frustration, I heated the mold off to the side of the burner. Started casting good ones right away. As suggested, this mold needs to be HOT. I will have to pick up an electric hotplate to preheat the mold with.

What a nice mold! It cast within .0005" of round and to size with 30:1.

calaloo
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I have a Hoch nose pour mold. The advise to run the mold hot is spot on. I run my pot at about 800 degrees and still have to pour a dipper full on the bottom plate occasionly if the bullets base is not molding completly.

LIMPINGJ
03-09-2010, 10:35 AM
A friend of mine has one and I have borrowed it to cast some 8mm. As stated a hot alloy temp and a fast casting tempo to keep the blocks temp up.