PDA

View Full Version : Redding seater die

olde sarge
03-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I have heard of being able to adjust some dies to not crimp and am wondering if the Redding seating die can be adjusted to not crimp. If I can do so, would save me having to buy a different die to complete my accuracy experiment I am doing. Thank you. John

anachronism
03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Most dies can be used as seaters. Just screw the die body higher in the press until the case can no longer reach the crimping shoulder. Tighten the lock ring & screw the seater stem down until you get the bullet seated where you want it. Hopefully the seating stem is long enough to do this. Most of them are.

1hole
03-04-2010, 08:11 PM
A seater has to be correctly adjusted to do crimping. All you need to do is screw the die body up or down as needed until you get the results you prefer.

Country
03-04-2010, 08:19 PM
A standard redding die is not a worry so much but you should not try to crimp with a Redding Competition seater . The extra force involved in crimping is not that good for the fine micrometer threads and you don't want extra wear on the die .
If that is the case then use a seperate standard die for final crimp.

largom
03-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Put a empty case in the press ram and lower the handle. Screw your seating die in until it touches the case mouth, then back it out 1/2 turn and lock the nut. Back the seating stem out several turns. Put a loaded case in the press and seat the boolit by adjusting the stem as needed. Now seat a boolit in all of your cases. Next back the seating stem out couple of turns, unlock die nut and lower die to get amount of crimp desired if any.

Larry

olde sarge
03-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks guys. The seating die is the 92378 without the mic. Thought I should ask, knowing that people would share their experience with me, before I started tinkering and ruined something that meant extra dollars unnecessarily spent. John