PDA

View Full Version : Therre's wood in them there Yugo's

KCSO
03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I am in the process of making a 24/47 Yugo into a spare deer rifle for our camp. The gun came to me with a chopped stock and was absolutly black with hardened grease. I was going to slip on a cheap plastic stock, but then I scraped off a little FINISH with a pocket knife. Boy this is some nice wood. I dropped the bolt handle and will put a low mount scope on this week and it should be go to go. I will probably bead blast the metal and parkerize the whole works. I am sorely tempted to narrow the guard, put on a quick release floorplate and a recoil pad while I am at it. This wood is just too nice to throw in the wood stove.

257 Shooter
03-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Nice Job KSCo. That wood is too nice to throw away.

swheeler
03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
That wood is UGLY! Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you.

LIMPINGJ
03-04-2010, 12:11 PM
It is just amazing what was common as far as quality of wood and workmanship from our grandfather's time. My 91 Arge's level of metal work is hard to comprehend for just a military rifle. There is no way I could afford to spend what it would cost for a modern rifle with this quality of workmanship.

357maximum
03-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I would be proud to carry that. Can I come to your camp ...I will come without a gun?:kidding: You provide custom grade cast ammo with that loaner too?:kidding:

Injection molded steel and plastic will just never have the "SOUL" that is instilled by a skilled human hand.

BABore
03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Injection molded steel and plastic will just never have the "SOUL" that is instilled by a skilled human hand.

You left out the injection molded lead forend caps there too. :groner:[smilie=b::p

smlekid
03-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Looks a lot like a laminated stock to me has the rifle any date on it? the Germans were using a laminated stock in WW2 so to the Russians

Dutch4122
03-04-2010, 06:09 PM
You left out the injection molded lead forend caps there too. :groner:[smilie=b::p

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Seems to me, I remember something about a perfectly good milsurp stock that was subjected to such torture by a certain friend we have in common![smilie=1:

badgeredd
03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Seems to me, I remember something about a perfectly good milsurp stock that was subjected to such torture by a certain friend we have in common![smilie=1:

I know where said object resides now. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

When you got 'em down, kick 'em. hehehehehe

Edd

357maximum
03-04-2010, 07:55 PM
All three of you can K{forced to edit his own post}S[smilie=b:

Just because a feller wants to make sure a poured forend cap has enough "root" by filling the entire cleaning rod hole with pewter is no reason to make his ribs raw. :holysheep

I do guarantee my poured spanish mauser forend caps built like that one will never ever fall off.........not with a 2 foot long rivet holding them on.:p Nice and steady for offhand work also.;)

BITE ME!

izzyjoe
03-04-2010, 09:59 PM
[smilie=s: boyhody that a pretty camp gun man everybody will want to carry it, or fight over it. whish i'as there to get a get a chance to toat it in woods. you goina' change the sights or scope it. sure is pretty though. all the best. :cbpour:

KCSO
03-05-2010, 02:24 PM
The stock is NOT laminated it's striped walnut all the way through. If I only had a garage full of blanks like that! The front sight base was milled down and dovetailed for a marbles gold bead and the rear is an old long base marbles I had in the drawer. I put the scope on last night a Weaver 2.5 with post. Unfortunatly I had to sight it in for J bullets and boy is that a change from Red Dot!

doctorxring
03-07-2010, 02:17 AM

Yep, the Yugo service rifles can have some nice wood in them.
I picked up this M48A just because of the stock. But it will
remain "as is". :)

This one has some "tiger" and "snake" in it --

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/doctorxring/M48A-totalleft.jpg

Doc1
03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Beautiful wood and my kudos for all the elbow grease required to bring that pretty surface up! I think the 24/47s are just about the best deal going for any Mauser at the present time,
but their prices are creeping up, too.

As other posters have noted, it's amazing how much craftsmanship went into the rifles of our grandfathers' day(s). Don't get me wrong: I like a lot of the modern black rifles too, but when compared side-by-side, none of them have the pure soul of something like a 98, an '03 or even a Garand.

Best regards
Doc