PDA

View Full Version : Zinc WW's

B R Shooter
03-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Is there an easy visual way to recognize a zinc WW as apposed to the lead ones? I got a bucket of WW's, and if I can separate the zinc before the melting, would be a good thing.

Any suggestions?

lead4me
03-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Most NOT all will have a zn mark on them, if in doubt use a set of side cutters on the suspects they will be a lot harder than the lead ones. Also if you turn your pot down as soon as you see the lead starting to melt and hold it their, the zinc ones will float. Keep your pot at 700 to 725 and you should have no problems.

lwknight
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Drop em on the floor. You will learn the different sounds.

markinalpine
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Start reading:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=40765
Lots of pictures.

Welcome to the board,
Mark [smilie=s:

Gelandangan
03-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Usually zinc WW is riveted to the steel clip.

JesseCJC
03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I will post up some zinc that I found a while back but I also made a thread asking the same question a few weeks back. What I found that was zinc was a few tape on and several that were marked with only the numbers "25" "30" "35" designating weight only.

03-04-2010, 10:07 PM
B R Shooter,
Excellent information has been given.

Since the leads bans have been imposed, and as time goes on, it becomes more difficult to visually distinguish zinc and steel weights from lead, as some of them are virtually identical. Adding to the difficulity, is the fact that not all non-lead weights are marked Zn or Fe, or are riveted.

Steel stick-on weights, however, are easy to spot because they shine like chrome.

When in doubt, use cutters. By careful when using the concrete-floor-drop-test that the weight doesn't land on the clip, as it will make a metallic sound. That may cause you to toss a perfectly good lead weight. Drop it on its end.

With a bit of experience, you will be able to spot a non-lead weight.

mold maker
03-04-2010, 11:15 PM
I have started finding unmarked Zinc weights without rivits, and many stick on. Their getting harder to presort.
Just pull out the stick on weights and keep your pot just hot enough to melt the lead. The zinc and iron will float with the clips.
The only sure way to pre-separate them is with pliers and that takes forever. At 16 oz to a lb, and 140-190 lbs per bucket, your hands will give out long before the bucket is empty.

high standard 40
03-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Most of the zinc weights I find don't have rivets. I do find steel with rivets. I'm also finding zinc with no markings, but always painted. I've learned to recognize them by their shape. I do a visual inspection of all my weights before I melt and usually miss very few. As mentioned, keep the temp as low as possible and skim the floaters.

B R Shooter
03-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks to all. I'll do my best culling the weights as I put them in the pot, then keep the temp as low as possible. A quick look last night, I saw a few weights that appeared different, but after doing the pliers test, they dented the same as other weights. They had been painted I guess to match the rim. Haven't seen any marked zn either, but will keep an eye out.

bigdog454
03-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Lead WW will write on paper like a "lead pencil", zinc won't.