PDA

View Full Version : Lubrisizer

prickett
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm thinking about getting a lubrisizer. Is there a concensus pick for best bang for the buck?

What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?

What is the difference between the Lyman 450 and 4500?

TIA

Echo
03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
My choice would be an RCBS/Lachmiller. Seem to be more robust than the Lyman effort, and their customer service is second to none. I have two... And No, you can't have one.

GP100man
03-04-2010, 01:14 AM
shoot alot go for a star setup , shoot casually a Lyman will fill the bill & punches & top punches seeem to be available readily , I don`t feel the rcbs is better just different .
The big green warranty may be swayin though!!

But at the price I paid for my Lyman 450s I`m not complainin!!!

mooman76
03-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Actually the best bang for a buck depends on how much you shoot. You don't want to to spend a couple hundred $ on a star set up to shoot 200 rounds a year. How much do you expect to shoot?

prickett
03-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Actually the best bang for a buck depends on how much you shoot. You don't want to to spend a couple hundred $ on a star set up to shoot 200 rounds a year. How much do you expect to shoot?

I shoot around 600-800 reloaded rounds per month.

Storydude
03-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Star.

Echo
03-05-2010, 12:38 AM
At that rate, ditto the Star.

prickett
03-05-2010, 08:00 PM
At that rate, ditto the Star.

Thanks everyone. I'm not seeing anyone (e.g. Midway) selling the Star. Is ordering from Magma the only way to get these?

Cherokee
03-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I may be wrong but I think so. But you can get the dies cheaper from members on this forum.

rodsvet
03-05-2010, 11:10 PM
While the Star is nice for unchecked bevel based pistol bullets needed in volume, the RCBS can be used for anything you cast. Rifle, pistol, gas checked, plain based, heavy or light. The RBCS warranty is for life, the star ??? The Star is a very lightly built machine, where the RCBS is very robust for it's size. I have both but only use the Star for plain based pistol boolits. Find someone in your area thats on this forum who has both machines and see if you can look at the machines yourself.

cbrick
03-06-2010, 12:06 AM
While the Star is nice for unchecked bevel based pistol bullets needed in volume, the RCBS can be used for anything you cast. Rifle, pistol, gas checked, plain based, heavy or light. The RBCS warranty is for life, the star ??? The Star is a very lightly built machine, where the RCBS is very robust for it's size. I have both but only use the Star for plain based pistol boolits. Find someone in your area thats on this forum who has both machines and see if you can look at the machines yourself.

This may be a little cold sounding but . . .

What color is the sky in your world?

BTW, welcome to Castboolits.

Rick

lathesmith
03-07-2010, 12:14 PM
For that amount of shooting, there is only one realistic choice--the Star. You have to get it from Magma, or find a used one at a reasonable price(good luck).
As for reliability, there are guys on this forum who use these for more or less commercial situations, they have and will size 10's of 1000's of slugs without issue, or with maybe the occasional replaced part. They are far faster than the Lyman/RCBS push/pull arrangement,and will lube/size AND/OR apply gas checks to just about any reasonable slug you can think of.
Yes, your initial investment is more, but the used market for these is very good, you can recover nearly all of your investment when you sell the machine, which means you use it nearly for free if you take good care of it. Also the dies are more expensive, but... I can help some with this.

For this level of shooting, you will also need several 4-6 cavity casting molds, to really get the most of your Star. Unlike the sizer situation, your decision here isn't nearly so clear cut--lots of brands and styles, all capable of doing a fine job of supplying you with a high volume of cast slugs to feed your shooting habit.

And finally, a progressive loader is a must, and once again you have LOTS of good choices here.

Put all these tools together, and you will be able to assemble a high volume of quality ammo for your personal needs, AND still have time to burn it up.

Good luck with your projects,
lathesmith

GLL
03-10-2010, 01:27 AM
The Star is certainly more bucks but I feel they also provide considerable bang for those bucks ! :)

My first one was purchased used but I suggest spending just a few more dollars for a new one ! They do hold their value very well. Good used ones are not cheap by any means !

I can also recommend the lathesmith dies for the Star.

Jerry

David2011
03-10-2010, 02:07 AM
+1 on the Star. I have a Star and Lyman. The Lyman in my shop is for rifle boolits only- very low volume. All of my handgun boolits go through the Star and I shoot a lot more than 800 rounds per month (if it ever quits raining). The Star will size a months' boolits for you in well under an hour. The Star can be set up to install gas checks if you feel the need. I can't think of anything the Lyman/ RCBS will do that the Star won't and since the Star pushes on the base with a flat punch, you don't have to purchase a punch to fit the nose every time you get another mold.

You will never regret spending enough to get what you really needed. Can't say the same for wishing you had spent a little more to get what you knew you wanted.

David