PDA

View Full Version : Gas Checks or no gas checks?

Duckhunter
03-04-2010, 12:17 AM
I have looked over a lot of threads on this board and I have yet to find clear guidance on the use (or no use) of gas checks. I think that these are primarily used for high(er) pressure loads but it appears that some may use PB boolits in these situations. PB, hard alloy, water quinched, gas check or no gas check; how do I tell the proper combination?

Other question are "can I shoot GC bullets without the gas check? Will the boolit act like a PB boolit"?

All help appreciated.

DH

glenliz87
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
I shoot gas check design bullets without the gas check all the time. I always shoot reduced loads and keep the velocity under 1500 fps. I never have a leading problem. All I cast is WW with 2% tin and water quench.

Slow Elk 45/70
03-04-2010, 01:05 AM
Good question, there are many answers, start with YOUR weapons you are loading for....everything is relevant to this.You want answers, you have to give good information on what you are doing....there is no answer in this game that fits all.....so tell us what you want from your loads with your gun and what you want to accomplish.....folks here will help... but you have to narrow the search if you want good information...good luck

Bret4207
03-04-2010, 06:34 AM
There's a whole section below devoted to GC's and this question. Look there. Long answer/short- they make things a lot easier as speeds/pressure increase.

Jack Stanley
03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I use several thirty caliber designs without a gas check and a thirty-five caliber design also .

For me I consider how hard is the lead , what type of lube I will use , what speed will I drive them and what is the bore condition . I have a 1903 that I've shot over six hundred low velocity loads without the gas check . It still make tiny little groups and it has no leading problems at all and the lead is very soft .

Jack

Duckhunter
03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I am getting a feel for this new hobby. In my line of work I get a lot of questions and the answer usually starts with "That depends...." I think that this is very similar in that there is no "one size fits all."

You kind folks please tolerate my questions as I feel my way around. Thanks for the guidance.

DH

Slow Elk 45/70
03-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Duck, hang in there , like I said just ask more specific questions with all the info you can give, if you want a good answer, other wise, you will get a lot of "that depends"....keep asking, you'll find what you need.