PDA

View Full Version : 9.3x74 shortened to 2.485 "

Cheshire Dave
03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
I am waiting to recieve a Valmet 412 with a set of 9.3x74 barrels. Wlile waiting I've been trying to get set up to load for it and traded for some brass. The gentleman I got it from got it at a gunshow and didn't realize it had been shortened. I'd like someone to get some use out of it. Is it the 40-70 Sharps stright that is formed from this brass or anything else for that matter. It's Norma and in good shape except for the length.

Southern Son
03-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Most 40/70SS here in Oz get fed out of .405Win Hornady brass. I only know that because I am kind of lusting after one. Can you promise to put up photos of the rifle when you get it? That way I can lust after a Valmet 412!!!

Lead pot
03-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Dave

The 9.3 is a fine caliber. It's a joy to shoot.

9.3x74R brass will work just fine in the .40-70SS. The base might be a little tight, it was for my chamber by about .009 but running it all the way in the sizing die to the rim it works just fine.
You have to do the same with the .405 Win brass, plus the .405 brass you need to thin the case neck or you wont seat a .410 diameter bullet and have it fit the Shiloh chamber.

Kurt

Cheshire Dave
03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll put them on the Swappin forum. Hope someone can use them.
Southern Son, I'm going to put the Valmet on the Factory Guns forum when I get it. If you PM me your email I'll send some pics the seller sent me. Can't wait to get my new toy.

Southern Son
03-05-2010, 02:09 AM
I will watch out for it ovver there. Don't waiting for things suck? I ordered a heap of stuff from BACO and they have had to order some of the bits in themselves. It hase been 2 weeks and I am looking at probably another 2 weeks before they get the stuff, then about another week or two in the post. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!