PDA

View Full Version : Crooked gas checks?

XBT
06-25-2006, 02:39 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/retiredBT/checks001.jpg

These are Hornady 6.5 gas checks. All have uneven sides; some have as much as .0015 difference in height between one side and the other. I checked some 6.5’s from a different lot and they only vary about .0005. The gas checks of other calibers that I have on hand look fairly uniform.

I am shooting these in a M-38 and a M-96/38, both as issued. They both shoot ten round, one hundred yard groups of around four inches, which is not too bad for my old tired eyes and open sights. I am not able to see any major differences in the groups shot with the crooked gas checks vs. more uniform ones, but being that crooked can’t be good for accuracy.

You fellers that are trying for top accuracy in the 6.5’s might want to look closely at your gas checks.

LET-CA
06-25-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure that the relative height will affect your accuracy. What is important is that the bases are square with the walls, so that when seated the base of the bullet won't be tilted to one side or the other. They don't look pretty, but I'm not sure you've got a problem. Let us know if your accuracy suffers.

Dale53
06-25-2006, 11:53 PM
I rather suspect that Hornady would replace these for you. Send them the picture.

Dale53

Sky C.
06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I had the same trouble with a couple boxes of .375 GC's a couple years ago. A call to Hornady resulted in a quick replacement.

Best regards-

Sky C.

jar-wv
06-29-2006, 09:42 AM
I think you have too many zeros in your number. looks more like 15 thousandths than 1 and a half thousandths, which you would never see without measuring.

jar

Bucks Owin
06-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Seein' as how the boolit's base is the "steering end" of the projectile, I wouldn't want to use them on anything but "plinking" loads....

I'd contact Hornady. They would replace 'em I bet and be glad to know that something in their machinery that stamps the 6.5 GCs has developed some play or something somewhere...

fifteen thou' is a lot!

Dennis

sundog
06-29-2006, 01:23 PM
They already know about it. I have several K of them and cannot tell any accuracy loss in the Swede and 150 gr Ly boolit. I even emailed back and forth a couple times with Hornady several years ago when I first got some like this. Yea, not a very good looking product. I wouldn't want my name on it. sundog

Bucks Owin
06-29-2006, 01:42 PM
They already know about it. I have several K of them and cannot tell any accuracy loss in the Swede and 150 gr Ly boolit. I even emailed back and forth a couple times with Hornady several years ago when I first got some like this. Yea, not a very good looking product. I wouldn't want my name on it. sundog

Hmmm....

I'm surprised accuracy isn't affected to some degree...

Maybe Hornady's GCs are about as high quality as their lead boolits! (Which ALWAYS lead the bore of my Smith M19...)

Dennis