PDA

View Full Version : ruger new vaquero lasercast 255swc?

Duck45LC
03-03-2010, 07:53 PM
new to this forum and reloading. I bought 1000 lasercast .452 255g swc bullets for my new vaquero. the load data i recieved from oregon trail did not have any listings for this bullet in saa clones. info was only listed for use in ruger only/tc. i have other load data for 250g swc and 255swc's from various mold manufacturers using i assume relatively soft alloys. These lasercast boolits are bhn 24. can i treat these like any other swc's listed for colt loads or not. please help and if anyone has load data for this particular bullet would you please include the oal dimensions. thanks

HORNET
03-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Most of the problems that I've seen on here from Lasercast are due to the boolits being undersized and too hard to "slug up" to compensate, resulting in unacceptable leading. Did you slug your cylinder throats and barrel first to make sure that .452 is big enough? You want the boolit diameter to be .001/.002" bigger than the throats and barrel. There should be lots of data available down in the 'Wheelguns and Hand Cannons' forum and down in CB LOADS/ Favorite cartridges. Or you can do a search , probably just '45 Colt' would find something. It's discussed fairly often. If you cast your own, you can control the hardness and size and do it cheaper, hint, hint, hint....

Dark Helmet
03-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Did they list any HP-38/231 loads?

Rocky Raab
03-05-2010, 10:04 AM
You can use any "Colt SAA" load, or any normal Lyman load. Several classic loads that don't exceed the pressure limits for the standard 45 Colt are 5.5 RedDot, 7.0 231 and 8.0 Unique.

But I wouldn't hold a lot of hope that they'll shoot well. I've never had good luck with Oregon Trail bullets except at full throttle. They're simply too hard - and often too small, as noted above.

Duck45LC
03-17-2010, 08:09 PM
thanks for the input guys. i hope to get set-up soon to cast my own. These bullets will be for sale if anyone is interested.

geargnasher
03-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Duck, welcome aboard!

Now please take some advice: Get yourself a good reloading manual, Lyman's manual lists a lot of cast loads along with j-words. Make it your next purchase. It will save you a lot of time and shorten your learning curve considerably with both casting and loading.

Don't try ANYONE'S internet recipe unless you have other data to compare it to or enough experience with what you're doing to know automatically if it's in the safe "ballpark" or not. We wouldn't steer ya wrong here, just good general advice.

Gear

Rex
03-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Make sure the cylinder throats aren't undersized as Hornet suggests. Ruger had a real problem with that for a while and I don't know if it has been corrected at the factory or not. If the bullets and throats are of proper size they probably will shoot well hard or not.
Rex