PDA

View Full Version : Patch patching to polish a barrel?

sheepdog
03-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I heard from a fellow caster this works to help clean out the junk. I know I need to get the nitro and copper out first but makes me wonder.

docone31
03-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Fire a couple of jacketeds, then blaze away with paper.
Gets shinier as it goes.

BerdanIII
03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
They definitely put a shine on a greyish-bored .44-40 Winchester Model 92.

303Guy
03-05-2010, 09:56 PM
I have one or two rust damaged rifles (well, maybe more) and within just a few patched firings, the bores start to take on a promising shine. My good bored L.E. MkI* 303 Brit took on a nice clean shine and did not require any cleaning at all after about 20 shots. (When I say 'did not require any cleaning', I mean the bore 'looked' real clean and shiny but better still, a cleaning patch came through clean!)

barrabruce
03-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Personally I would scrub the bore well.

Get all the ****e out.
Then lap with a bit of toothpaste or other soft compound.

Down to the hopefully molecular level.
Get all the brass fouling out etc.
As best one can first.

I had a real rough toolmarked bore in front of my chamber and PP has made this gun shiney and fired lapped "eventually". Using no lube on the paper.

Brang a 1.5 MOA fouling barrell down to a 3/4 Moa or less (I cant shoot any better) with jacketed stuff and mirror polished clean shooting barrell.

There is still a infatessimal narrowing of the bore in one place but I'll leave it be.
It will eventually come good.
Course PP and cast offering shoot better now too...

Well worth it and I can't see no harm in it at all.

I haven't tried abrasives on pp to fire lap thou.

I was dubious about such things at fist which may wreck me pride and joy...but fate favours those that are brave...all has gone well.
Try it I think you'll may like the results!!!!

Barra

303Guy
03-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Then lap with a bit of toothpaste or other soft compound.not sure the 'toothpaste' in the broad sense will work. Toothpaste of the 'original' formula, yes! But how to tell which toothpaste has that 'mild abrasive' content?

If one is talking of a rust damaged bore, the name of the game changes a bit. I have a recently aquired gun with an otherwise good bore but too rough for a paper patch to get through without leading. That one took a little bit of abrassive firelapping using paper patched boolits as the carrier. Now it will shoot a patched boolit without leading. It's ready for polishing with dry paper patches. (That's a project or to down the road!)

barrabruce
03-07-2010, 08:12 AM
bicarb soda.
Most are abrasive cos they polish your teeth!! by abrasion.
That or metal polish which is usually fine.
Vavle grinding paste is pretty course.
rub some between fingers should feel it.
Hope it helps
You can use a lead plug or if you wanna be a bit rougher a patch.

I reckon if you don't get the fouling out then all you are doing is polishing lead and copper. :)

Bruce

TDB9901
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
OK.... I have a question along this line... I recently came up with a Rem. 600 in .222 Rem. with a badly neglected bore.....

I have cleaned to the point that I have frosty patches, and what looks like a couple of pits, but a lot better than it was... I polished it a bit with 1000 grit lapping compound, but I don't want to get too carried away with abrasives yet.

Getting to the question.... What do some of you guru's think of getting a box of J. bullets for a .204, and paper patching them to help put a shine on the bore????

Probably be a pain to wrap something that small, but it was just a thought.

pdawg_shooter
03-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Patching a .204 up to .224 is a bit of a stretch. Twenty thousands will take 4 wraps of 16# paper. Might be ok for polishing a bore but too much to ask for accuracy. In smokeless bore diameter +.001/.0015 is about right. Wrapping a .204 bullet would a real challenge for my old fat fingers for sure!

yondering
03-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Getting to the question.... What do some of you guru's think of getting a box of J. bullets for a .204, and paper patching them to help put a shine on the bore????

Patching jacketed bullets doesn't work so well; the jackets don't grip the patches well, and the base of the jacket is likely to cut the patch during final sizing.

Just patch some unlubed .224 cast bullets, and size them back down to .224-.225" after the patches are dry.

TDB9901
03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I have heard of rolling the jacketed between a piece of steel and a file to give it some texture to hold the patch,.......... but your suggestion makes much more sense.....:killingpc

Just gonna try it as is first, might be a lot of worry over nothing

303Guy
03-12-2010, 02:48 AM
I recently came up with a Rem. 600 in .222 Rem. with a badly neglected bore..... Personally, I would not lapp a bore in any other way than with fire-lapping. I have used home-made fire-lapping 'bullets' from turned brass with the abrasive in a groove within the case neck. I'll have to find a pic of the design i like best and post it for you. A trick I have not tried myself is to roll J-words in the lapping compound so's the stuff imbeds in the copper jacket. My trick with the compound in a groove within the case neck ensures that no grit gets between the case and chamber. Hope that helps.

pdawg_shooter
03-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Rolling a jacketed bullet with a file works great. My first patching experience was patching .308 bullets up to .318 for a prewar Mauser. Got that fine old rifle back into the field.

uscra112
03-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Bon-Ami

herbert buckland
03-19-2010, 04:17 AM
What would be the best paper to lap the boar,i have laped the boars of rifles yousing valve grinding past inbeded by roling a hard lead boolit between two flat peices of sreel with very good results but the long tom i am doing up now shoot great with jacked boolits but starts to lead up after 3 cast shots,hoping PP will smooth the barell out ,i have put 20 shots through pached with tracing paper but when i went back to cast GC leading started again after 4 shots,this load work well in another 303 with no sines of leading after 40 rounds

Nobade
03-19-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm soon going to find out how well this works. I just started playing with a 91/30 Mosin Nagent rifle. Got it home, and started scrubbing with shooter's choice and bronze brush. Then 5 days of Wipe-Out, patching it out morning and night. Finally the copper quit coming out, and the patches are clean. The bore is lightly pitted for its length, typical of firing corrosive ammo. But no big pitting, so last night I loaded up some PP ammo for it to try this weekend. If it shoots decently, I might try rubbing JB bore paste into the patches and shooting a few each outing to see what happens to the bore over time. The Fouling Shot article a few months back says that JB can get pretty aggressive on patches, way more effective than just scrubbing like normal.