PDA

View Full Version : which ingot mold to use in a Lee 4-10

Steel185
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm just getting into casting, and have aquired 120-150lbs of WW, i have a Lee 4-10. Its smaller than it looked but i got a good deal on it. I might get a larger one later. I'm at the point where I'm ready to melt the WWs down to clean and store in igots. Which or what type is both good to stack, and fit in the 4-10? I am a pretty decent welder but everything looks to be for 3-5lbs ingots. the Lee, RCBS, Lyman ingot molds look to be a little slow if i have 120lbs to smelt.

any suggestions?

Springfield
03-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Just get 4-5 Lyman moulds and you are set. Or get a few of those cornbread moulds. I have a bunch of them, probably should sell them as I use something else now.

markinalpine
03-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Just get 4-5 Lyman moulds and you are set. Or get a few of those cornbread moulds. I have a bunch of them, probably should sell them as I use something else now.

Agree with the above, but since you can weld, you can easily come up with something out of angle iron. Here's just one thread with several examples of home made ingot molds: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75967&highlight=ingot+molds

Or search with the term "ingot molds" and start reading.

Mark :coffeecom
ps, welcome to the board, and to the madness. :veryconfu

Mk42gunner
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
1 1/2" Angle iron will will work. I make my ingot molds around ten inches long, so the ingots will rest across the top of either of the Lee pots for preheating. To feed I tilt the ingot by tilting it with pliers, no danger of over filling that way.

I have found that old bedframes, while a good size, are a pain to weld.

Robert

Steel185
03-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I went to the scrap yard and got 15-20feet of angle iron, 1 inch anc 1.5 inch. along with a 2-3 feet of 3 inch angle iron. Even got a section fo pipe I can block off one end to make a ladle. I will cut this all up and make a mould that just fits my melter. I'll put up pics when its done. Not bad amount of steel for $4. That scap yard just might be my new home away from home

Mk42gunner
03-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I went to the scrap yard and got 15-20feet of angle iron, 1 inch anc 1.5 inch. along with a 2-3 feet of 3 inch angle iron. Even got a section fo pipe I can block off one end to make a ladle. I will cut this all up and make a mould that just fits my melter. I'll put up pics when its done. Not bad amount of steel for $4. That scap yard just might be my new home away from home

Don't forget to ask them about lead when your are there.

Robert

Steel185
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Don't forget to ask them about lead when your are there.

Robert

I tried, they said sure its only $.65/lbs to buy. Better than online, but I'm getting most of my stuff for free right now. I figure I'll keep with the free, and only buy when I'm desperate.

mdi
03-04-2010, 02:40 PM
K.I.S.S.! Ingots ain't nuttin' but stackable lead. I've used muffin pans, aluminum cans (too much work), cornbread pans, and even poured some lead in a groove in a 2x4. They all worked, it's just how involved you want to get. But, I did make a couple ingot molds out of 2" channel iron (6" pieces with angle cut on ends with a piece of 1 1/2" x 5" welded to the ends) that works good and looks good too. BTW, lead is getting harder to find so maybe you should stock up while you can; at .65 per. lb.

Steel185
03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
well my problem is my smaller sized pot. with the 10lb pot from Lee is has that rod down the middle, i just want to make sure the bars i make will fit in the pot. Thats why I'm going for a more custom ingot. If i had a big pot like most of everyone else I'd make or buy a larger ingot. 5lb ingots would be really nice and probibly much quicker when i smelt.

GP100man
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
I use 2" angle & fill em 2/3-3/4 full & have no problem fittin a ingot on each side of the 10# pot.

$.02 worth

Steel185
03-04-2010, 04:36 PM
GP100man: awesome, I'll incorporate that in my design. Southeast, NC i used to live in Jacksonville, NC. Still trying to sell my house there...lol

RodneyUSAF
03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
The corn cobs fit too.

sheepdog
03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I use 2" angle & fill em 2/3-3/4 full & have no problem fittin a ingot on each side of the 10# pot.

$.02 worth

+1. You can usually get 2 in, one on each side of the stopper bar. My ingots are 4" each so a nearly empty pot can be reloaded quickly.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-04-2010, 07:26 PM
The very best solution is to get together with other cast bolliteers and share ingot moulds, work together, someone likely has the turkey cooker burner and big melting pot,

Make the job easier.

Something rarely mentioned is the problem of alloy consistency. If you don't make quite a few ingots the same, and only have small melts, every pot is a guess. A sixty pound melt is very nice, for use with all boolits having similar alloy requirements. BvT

chris in va
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
WalMart 'mini-muffin' pans work great. You don't have to fill them all the way if you choose.

sirgknight
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
+1 on muffin pans. I bought some at wallyworld that have 24 cavities. each one will hold about 1/2 lb of lead. fill em as full as you like....very reasonable on the pocketbook also.

mooman76
03-08-2010, 12:23 AM
I like smaller moulds for the smaller pots. I have a 20 and a 4#. I add lead as I cast to keep going and it doesn't change the lead temp as much when adding in smaller amounts.

Frozone
03-08-2010, 12:53 AM
You'll find the 10# Lee pot isn't worth a darn for smelting WW. That spout rod gets in the way and you really don't want the extra crud in the pot after you're done. It leads to drip drip drip.