PDA

View Full Version : Belt Mt base pin

44mag1
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
does anyone here use a belt Mt base pin? do they help??

TREERAT
03-03-2010, 02:39 PM
every ruger single action that passes through my hands gets one, does that tell you how much I like them! I perfer the oversized one and hand fit it, quite a job the way I do it, but it is a perfect fit when I am done.

danski26
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
They have worked well for me in the past. I too like to fit the oversized one. With a lot of patients and a drill press you can get satisfactory results without a lathe.

That'll Do
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
I fitted one in my Lipsey's 44 Special Blackhawk, but I have yet to do any testing to see if accuracy improved. I will say that there is less freeplay compared to the stock basepin though.

S.R.Custom
03-03-2010, 03:56 PM
does anyone here use a belt Mt base pin? do they help??

IMO, no, and no....

If you read their literature, they say the use of their base pin "may" increase accuracy. Translation: there is no reason why it would increase accuracy.

Without getting all windy and boring on you, their base pin does nothing to correct chamber/bore alignment, the foundation of revolver accuracy. Indeed, if there is any mis-alignment between the two, an overly tight fitting base pin will only serve to lock in that mis-alignment even more, creating increased stress and pounding on the bolt stop and its respective window, as well as increased wear to the forcing cone and throat.

That said, unless you're trying to correct some other problem like base pin retention or ill-fitment, I'd leave it alone.

Potsy
03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I've got one on my Bisley. Not sure if it's a Belt Mountain or if Bowen had his own.
Either way, the pin has never flown out (per set screw); which is their main purpose in life to begin with.

44man
03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
IMO, no, and no....

If you read their literature, they say the use of their base pin "may" increase accuracy. Translation: there is no reason why it would increase accuracy.

Without getting all windy and boring on you, their base pin does nothing to correct chamber/bore alignment, the foundation of revolver accuracy. Indeed, if there is any mis-alignment between the two, an overly tight fitting base pin will only serve to lock in that mis-alignment even more, creating increased stress and pounding on the bolt stop and its respective window, as well as increased wear to the forcing cone and throat.

That said, unless you're trying to correct some other problem like base pin retention or ill-fitment, I'd leave it alone.
Hooray, a man that knows his guns.
There is no way I would tighten up a cylinder.

yondering
03-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I put one in one of my Ruger's. I saw no change, except that I had $30 less, and the cylinder was harder to remove than with the factory pin. (Convertible Blackhawk).

I think they're just something for people to spend money on, with no measureable advantage. You can put a lock screw in the factory Ruger base pin if you really need it.

JesterGrin_1
03-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I will have to say I made a Big Mistake but not really lol. I purchased the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter and with everything I read it sounded as if the factory pin was falling out of them lol. So I got the BM pin as a just incase thing. But thus far I have not had one problem with the factory pin staying in. So I will leave it be unless one day it acts up. :)

So my simple thoughts are shoot it and shoot it some more and if you have problems with the pin then by all means replace it with a BM Pin but if not then just leave it be and have fun shooting the critter. :)

AlaskaMike
03-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, I guess I'm different. I had the base pin on my Anniversary .44 mag flattop come out on me twice on the first trip to the range. I also had the pin come out on a friend's New Model Blackhawk several times just after he got it. Belt Mountain pins solved it.

Mike

countglockula
03-03-2010, 07:51 PM
I've owned many Ruger single actions and have yet to have a base pin come out accidentally. On my three newest ones, all New Vaqueros, the pins are quite tight and take a bit of effort to remove until the gun has been fired a few hundred rounds.

Sounds like a fix for a non-problem. I've never encounter a Ruger single action that was sloppy loose.

Ron

44mag1
03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Ill save my $$ for primers I guess. Ive never had the pin come loose. The screw that holds the ejector rod and housing sheared in half on my ruger bisley 45 colt, I called ruger and they are sending me a new one for free. I was looking at all the parts that are available for these things in the meantime.

yondering
03-03-2010, 08:27 PM
If you're looking at parts to buy; the free spin pawl is a nice addition, in my opinion. They're about the same price. Personally I just modified the factory pawl in my gun and a couple others; it works just as well, but you need to be handy with a welder and small files.

leadman
03-03-2010, 11:17 PM
I have na old New Model Pre Warning 357 BH that was a little loose, so the BM pin did help with accuracy.

That was until I had a gunsmith set the barrel back to close up the gap (was .014"). Now I need to fire lap it to get rid of the tight spot in front of the forcing cone.

kelbro
03-03-2010, 11:20 PM
5 minutes, a jeweler's file and a sharpie fixed the pin on my 44mag Standard Hunter. It never popped loose while freehand shooting, only when the frame or butt was on a rest. I called Ruger and explained the situation and they sent me a new pin, spring and latch. After a little file work, I have not needed to open the package that they sent.

The pin on my 44mag Bisley Hunter has not popped loose yet shooting the same loads.

S.R.Custom
03-04-2010, 12:57 AM
At the risk of belaboring the point... I have never seen a base pin come loose as a result of recoil. What I have seen --many times-- is a base pin where the retention groove is cut too far towards the short end. The result is a base pin that sticks too far into the action and gets smacked by the hammer (via the transfer bar) when the trigger is pulled.

Two ways you can tell this is happening:

(1) Little dents all over the the part of the base pin latch that catches the pin. (You have to take apart the base pin latch to see this.) Or...

(2) With the gun empty, hold it so you are looking at it broad side, with the hammer cocked. Take your index finger, and hold the base pin in tightly as you pull the trigger with your other hand and slowly lower the hammer and push it tight against the transfer bar/firing pin. Did you feel the base pin move forward against your left index finger?

Three ways to fix this:

(1) Using a file, shorten the fat part of the pin (not the plunger needle) and/or relieve the back of the transfer bar. If you relieve the back of the transfer bar, be sure to blend it in well, or it'll hang up on the plunger needle when you cock the gun. Or...

(2) Call Ruger, describe the problem, and have them send you a new pin.

(3) Or if money is no object, order the afore mentioned BM pin for 30 clams & postage.

WARD O
03-05-2010, 05:49 PM
On my RSS 32 H&R - I had trouble getting the very tight fitting pin out of the gun - not much to grab onto to pull it forward. Certainly there was no problem with it falling out! I wanted to see what the Belt Mtn pins were all about so I ordered one with the large hour glass head. It sure is a lot easier to remove from the gun when it's time to clean. I like the looks of it too.

I can not say that there is any difference in accuracy when shooting the gun with either pin installed.

Ward

Lloyd Smale
03-06-2010, 08:16 AM
i put them in ever ruger i own. I dont know if they help accuracy but they sure havent hurt it in any of my guns and they sure havent added to any gettting beat up. If you have a gun that is so loose that it would cause increased wear its just a matter of time for that gun anyway and it needs to be fixed. As to base pins not jumping. If you are shooting a ruger in something like 44 mag and its not jumping they your running light loads as every ruger ive seen shooting heavy 44 or 45 loads will eventually have the base pin jump and its something you dont want happening when your about to take the second shot at a wounded animal. I dont buy them for any other reason then that. Dont be fooled into thinking that recoil alone wont do it. Unlock the pin on my 500s or 475s and they will jump almost imediately and those are custom fit guns. Theres a reason they put them on hard kicking guns and especially handguns made to hunt dangerous game.

nicholst55
03-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I've never encounter a Ruger single action that was sloppy loose.

Ron

I have; I bought a well used .357 Blackhawk to convert to something else. The base pin hole in the frame was worn enough that it actually needed an oversize base pin. That is uncommon, though.

ole 5 hole group
03-06-2010, 11:49 AM
i put them in ever ruger i own. I dont know if they help accuracy but they sure havent hurt it in any of my guns and they sure havent added to any gettting beat up. If you have a gun that is so loose that it would cause increased wear its just a matter of time for that gun anyway and it needs to be fixed. As to base pins not jumping. If you are shooting a ruger in something like 44 mag and its not jumping they your running light loads as every ruger ive seen shooting heavy 44 or 45 loads will eventually have the base pin jump and its something you dont want happening when your about to take the second shot at a wounded animal. I dont buy them for any other reason then that. Dont be fooled into thinking that recoil alone wont do it. Unlock the pin on my 500s or 475s and they will jump almost imediately and those are custom fit guns. Theres a reason they put them on hard kicking guns and especially handguns made to hunt dangerous game.

+1 there ole boy - you forgot to mention it's a royal pain to launch a pin while in the field. Finding a launched pin in the brush is uncommon luck and once lost your outing is pretty much on the skids. I've got Belt Mt. pins on every SA that bites and I've never had to look for one in the brush.

frank505
03-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I have BMBP's on my old 45, 475 and 500. I like the way they look and function. The base pin lock that Kelly makes is very much worthwhile,as it is hardened and doesnt batter out of shape like the Rugers. I do think they are needed on a sixgun that sees hard use.

Bucks Owin
03-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Hooray, a man that knows his guns.
There is no way I would tighten up a cylinder. I'll 3rd that notion and I CERTAINLY would not "fit" an oversize basepin with a garage variety "drillpress"...You're likely to end up with a fit that's not as "tight" as original, but the word "crooked" comes readily to mind....JMO

JesterGrin_1
03-06-2010, 05:08 PM
As said it depends on the Ruger Lloyd Smale. As I have the Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 Mag and with the factory pin I have been shooting the Lee 310Gr with 21.OGr of H-110 behind it with no problems. But then again maybe the Hunter is just better built for such loads.

And we all Know that 44Man does not shoot light loads from his Ruger and he also has the factory pin.

I think it is just luck of the draw. :)

I also will have the Lyman 429649 which is the 325Gr but of which I have heard casts at around 335Gr and will try those out in my Hunter. :)