PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Powder for 8mm Mauser

bruce drake
03-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Gents,

As we deal with the powder shortages that we have been invariably experiencing here in the States, we learn to use different powders that are left on the shelf.

That has been my experience as my local store had run out of my go-to powders. I found myself staring at two pounds of IMR 4007 SSC one day and decided I better get what I could.

I've never used this newer powder before and I called Hodgdon to get some load data for use with my rifles.

It's burn rate is between IMR 4895 and IMR 4350 so I figured it would be safe to load in my bolt actions. I'll reserve my remaining 4895 and 4064 for my Garand.

downloading the recommend powder amount using LEE's reduction formula, I got 34.5gr for 1900fps with LEE's 170gr RN .323 boolit.

Shooting this combo the other day in my Turk Mauser's 29" barrel gave me a satisfying whump in the shoulder and an honest triangular 5 shot 2.1" group at 50 yards using a 4 MOA Red Dot mounted on a B-Square LER Mount. This rifle has a stock trigger and isn't fancy bedded at all so I am very satisfied with the load. The brass fully expanded in the chamber so there was no schorch marks on the brass or anything like that. There was a few unburnt grains left in the barrel after each shot but the load can be tweaked in I think as there was zero pressure signs at the primer.

I'm not sure I've found my new "go to" powder but I was pleasantly surprised to have such good results with it. My next issue to deal with is Reloader 10x in something other than an AR15.

Bruce

45 2.1
03-03-2010, 09:58 AM
There is nothing wrong with useing the slower shotgun powders (like Unique at the top of its listed charge range) in the 8mm. They tend to shoot better groups and are readily available also.

bruce drake
03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
I use Unique and Red Dot on a regular basis but have been wanting to use a powder that I've got a bunch of now. The recoil impulse between the powders is very different. The IMR4007SSC almost felt like a full power load while I consider the Red Dot and Unique loadings written in the Lyman Handbook as more like reduced loads.

Bruce