PDA

View Full Version : What if i cut it down.

A^K
03-03-2010, 09:21 AM
hi friends.

i got Baikal IJ 27e Over Under.

Under Barrel was burst and now almost 4" short than Over Barrel.
see

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m263/Afzaalkhan/rsz_17022010058.jpg

what if i cut down the Over barrel aswell to make them equal coz i don't like the look of my gun now.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m263/Afzaalkhan/rsz_17022010060.jpg

do u guys think will i be able to do duck hunting with that short barreled almost 25" ???

44man
03-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Well, you will have no chokes but if the barrels are thick enough you could have them threaded again for choke tubes. Otherwise you will just have a 30 yard gun.

largom
03-03-2010, 09:38 AM
You will not have any choke left in either barrel. If barrel walls are thick enough you could have choke tubes installed but might be expensive.

Larry

runfiverun
03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
i shoot improved cylinder in my guns anyways you should be fine.
a larger size of shot should tighten up your paterns a bit.
if you reload your own steel shot order unslit wads from ballistic products and cut your own slits.
this will help control your patterns and tailor them to your gun.
mec makes a pretty good wad slitter b.t.w.
after cutting your bbl off make sure to rethread for your front bead or at least cut on a solid part of the rib.
i usually remove the sightsfrom my hunting guns anyways so that wouldn't be a problem.
as far as the 25" bbl length that is no problem either as most powders even the slow ones are long consumed by 18"s in a shotgun.

dubber123
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
You might also try some of the new Federal loads they have out. I think they are called "Flight Control". They have a new design shot cup that looks like it really tightens up patterns. The slits in the shot cup are in the back, rather than the front. It keeps the shot together in a column for alot longer than standard design cups.

HORNET
03-03-2010, 11:04 AM
It'd make a good rabbit gun back in the briar patches...

A^K
03-04-2010, 01:33 AM
thanks so much all friends.
i am much clear now

Regards

A^K
03-04-2010, 03:27 AM
one more question
do u think gun smith would be able to apart complete rib and cut it from triggers side and fix it coz if i cut it down the way it is then rib will loose the support.

sagacious
03-04-2010, 03:48 AM
one more question
do u think gun smith would be able to apart complete rib and cut it from triggers side and fix it coz if i cut it down the way it is then rib will loose the support.

Remove the rib, cut it down to size, and reinstall it?

Yes, that is probably possible in this situation. A gunsmith can inspect the gun and will tell you if it can be done with your gun, and what your options are.

A^K
03-04-2010, 04:02 AM
thanks mate

hornsurgeon
03-04-2010, 10:49 PM
checkout shotgunworld.com

there is a guy there that they suggest that will thread for chokes for something like $40 a barrel. he can also cut the barrels propperly.

A^K
03-04-2010, 11:11 PM

there is a guy there that they suggest that will thread for chokes for something like $40 a barrel. he can also cut the barrels propperly.

that would heaven if its possible in my area.

steg
03-05-2010, 04:39 AM
You can try to Jug choke it, I thiink the europeans came up with that one, it works.....steg

A^K
03-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Jug Choke ?

Bro never heard that before
Please be more specific

Regards

Screwbolts
03-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Wow, I did a google search and only got 2,300,000 hits on what a jug choke was and how to create them.

Can you believe it even took less time to do a search than type the results. "Results 1 - 10 of about 2,300,000 for jug choke. (0.34 seconds) "

But then again I already knew what a Jug choke was and how to create it. "-)

Personally I would remove the rib, then cut both barrels to 18" and then have them fit for screw in chokes if you wanted. The rib is an option, you could cut it down and reinstall or just use a raised sight base if needed for the front site to set on. I wouldn't do either, I would fi the top barrel with rifle sights with the rear being a peep. I had my brothers 18" marlin pump gun fitted with rem chokes, with a Carlson extended and vented/ported tube he is still able to hammer turkeys out to 40+ yards. Install a rifled choke tube and my reloaded Lee or lyman slugs shot as good as any saboted load.

Ken

MT Gianni
03-05-2010, 01:07 PM
It will effect the guns balance and swing time to a target. If you own and shoot a few shotguns the learning curve might take a bit to get accustomed to. It surely seems the best way to use the gun as it is.

A^K
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM
It will effect the guns balance and swing time to a target. If you own and shoot a few shotguns the learning curve might take a bit to get accustomed to. It surely seems the best way to use the gun as it is.

as it is Bro ?

i am still satisfied with performance but shorter and longer barrels ugly look really annoy me :(

runfiverun
03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
the rib would just need to be unsoldered then SILVER soldered a specialized soldering technique.
the bbl could also be back bored and rechoked within reason.
if the bore is under 775 this is a reasonable upgrade actuallyas the patterns would improve, and the pressures lessened some.
it would also be a good time to lengthen the forcing cone.
if you are missing the weight on the bbls a mercury recoil reducer can be mounted under the bottom bbl.

Rockydog
03-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Getting rib work done on a shotgun is very expensive. I was restoring an old SXS and the rib was loose for about 4" from the front. I could not find a local smith to do it. Gander Mountain would have shipped it out to another smith for $200 plus shipping. Several online smithing firms wanted all the way from $250-$400 to do the job. I ended up doing it myself. $12 for flux and rib solder. An hours worth of work. The actual soldering took 5 min. Cleaning the excess along the sides of the rib is the hardest part. By the time you remove the rib and set it back, fill in the area between the barrels, refinish the barrel ends, and rechoke them in some manner the cost of a new Baikal will appear very reasonable. At the very least I'd look for a new/used barrel set or a complete used gun that's got some stock wear etc. and swap barrels. Then I'd clip this set off at 23 7/8 right at the next little rib support (or even shorter but under a rib support) add a clip on tru-glo bead and keep it under my bed. 000 Buck doesn't need much choke. RD

MT Gianni
03-06-2010, 11:51 AM
as it is Bro ?
:(

I meant that chopping it is better than tossing it. It is the best option for the condition it is in.

Storydude
03-06-2010, 12:33 PM

That would be Mike Orlen. And the only guy I'll send Barrels to for a threading and trimming.

A^K
03-06-2010, 12:37 PM
I meant that chopping it is better than tossing it. It is the best option for the condition it is in.

yep now thinking like u do.

thanks

steg
03-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Jug choking= opening up the barrel about 6" or so from the muzzle end, as the shot moves down the barrel, it opens up to fill the void that was created, then it's forced back to the original dimensions of the barrel, creating a forcing cone type effect on the shot that keeps it closer together than it would be otherwise. done right you can expect to change cylinder bore to modified choke results, and so on. it can be done using a dowel and some emory paper, using a slight in and out motion to accomplish the lead and exit taper of the choke, and patterning the barrel as you go. It's kind of sand a while and test, final polish when you are satisfied with the results. I would expect you will be removing from 10 to 30 thousandths of an inch in the whole process. I tried it myself and it does work, I learned of this process from an old Stoger catalog..................good luck.........steg