PDA

View Full Version : Sizing problem?

jakkyl
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
New to reloading, I've got a question about sizing my cast boolits.

I use straight WW, water quenched with a 40 Lee 6 cavity mold.
They are coming out at ~.404, which I've read is typical.
I've also got the Lee .401 push through sizer, and I'm using 40/40/10 LLA/JPW/MS for lube.
When sizing it looks like my groves are sheared off and I'm wondering if this is normal, also the sized boolits are coming out .399-.400.

Pictured is my second batch, my first batch I used straight LLA and when shooting I got some leading the last inch or so of my barrel. I did not relube after sizing with my first batch, but will try that with my second.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/jakkyl/IMG_0590.jpg

kyle623
03-02-2010, 08:03 PM
you either need to open up the sizer or send it back to lee and have them do it. have you slugged your barrel yet to see what size you need? the tl molds are supposed to be shoot as cast, but .404 does seem a bit large.

jakkyl
03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
No, I have not slugged the barrel. I'm kind of leery of doing that, but I may have to...

kyle623
03-02-2010, 10:23 PM
you really need to slug the barrel so you know what to size the boolits at. some 400 to 600 grit sandpaper in a split dowel rod and some time will open up the sizer, just take it slow and check offten. I would open it up to .401 and try again, with lee lla you need to lube before sizing and after according to lee.

Rottboy
03-03-2010, 01:16 AM
New to reloading, I've got a question about sizing ..........my groves are sheared off and I'm wondering if this is normal, also the sized boolits are coming out .399-.400...I did not relube...my first batch, .....

Jkyl, Think you are on the right track. Started reloading .40 last year and it took a bit of time to get the lubing with Alox and mold techniques exact with the 6- cavity 175 gr. SWC. Have made more than 2,000 so far and used 1,500 rnds. Am impressed with both my .40's and .45's as they are very accurate.
Using a Lee .401 sizer. The casted boolits are water quenched. After sizing, its normal for sheared grooves, especially on those that are oversized coming out from the mould. Mine mike out at .401.
Lube lightly once before and regular, once after. My barrels do not have any leading at all.

Still trying to get my 9mm 124 gr. RN TL to work properly. The info. from this site is just great and the fellows are very helpful.

Once you get the right formula, you'll be shooting your reloads accurately and proudly.