PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Lesson learned...factory bullets

44fanatic
03-02-2010, 10:11 AM
I know, factory bullets dont go in the cast boolits forum but they do when you use them for casting material.

I had a few 6mm jacketed bullets (hornady 100gr BTSP, Interlock) along with sinkers. I had just got my pot and molds and was pretty excited to see how a few cast bullets turned out.

Now the warning and lesson learned: I had molten lead shooting out of the pot.
Nube mistake that I will never make again.

What I guess had happened was the base of the bullet had melted first, pressure built up, and the tip along with the molten lead shot out.

qajaq59
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
If I pick up any at the range to melt, I smash 'em with a hammer first. I've always thought that there might be an air pocket in them.

Shiloh
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
If I pick up any at the range to melt, I smash 'em with a hammer first. I've always thought that there might be an air pocket in them.

We throw them in the pot and cover it. The other thing we do is let them dry real good. Even when it looks dry, there can be water or moisture lurking in cracked and split jackets.
An unpleasant surprize!!

Shiloh

Hardcast416taylor
03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
OR? You could have just sent them up to me and I would have sent you back some wheel weights!Robert

A J
03-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Casting range scrap jacketed bullets are common. Smacking them with a hammer sometimes sends them flying. Rather than chase them I cut them with an old wood chisel and flick them off the chisel into a container with the hammer. Fast and works great........A J

44fanatic
03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
OR? You could have just sent them up to me and I would have sent you back some wheel weights!Robert

Dont know if it would have been worth the 6 or 7 bullets that I had to pull out of reloaded rounds with vice grips...LOL

lwknight
03-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Just stand back and let em spray LOL!

303Guy
03-03-2010, 04:16 AM
That's what that lid thing is for!:bigsmyl2:

Actually, melting down anything is scary. It's not usually possible to put a lid on but a wrap or to of aluminium foil should keep things under control.

qajaq59
03-03-2010, 07:30 AM
That's what that lid thing is for! And the safety glasses.....

Down South
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I just use a lid. I use an old cast iron pot that has a heavy lid. Trying to cut or smash each piece in a 5 gal bucket full would take forever.

Tazman1602
03-03-2010, 08:29 AM
I know, factory bullets dont go in the cast boolits forum but they do when you use them for casting material.

I had a few 6mm jacketed bullets (hornady 100gr BTSP, Interlock) along with sinkers. I had just got my pot and molds and was pretty excited to see how a few cast bullets turned out.

Now the warning and lesson learned: I had molten lead shooting out of the pot.
Nube mistake that I will never make again.

What I guess had happened was the base of the bullet had melted first, pressure built up, and the tip along with the molten lead shot out.

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN INTRODUCED TO THE TINSEL FAIRY!! WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!

lol...........with you, not at you................

Art

Jon
03-03-2010, 09:48 AM
I've had that happen a few times. The thing that works for me is to put everything in the dutch oven cold. Cover, and turn on the heat. Let it "cook" for 30 min or so, and it should be all melted.