PDA

View Full Version : Bullet size question

Master Mariner
03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
I cast my first booolits, yesterday. The Lee mold is .452 and I found the measurement to be .451 after Alox lubing. Is this of any consequence ? Did I do something wrong ?
Al

longranger
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
What was your alloy ? different alloys will cast slightly larger or smaller bullets depending on alloy. Most molds dia. will be reflected with nearly pure lead.

243winxb
03-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Check bullet diameter as soon as a few cool while casting, before Alox is added. Alox will increase the size measurement.Your bullets are undersize. For a 45acp,the standard diameter is .452" for a sized bullet. Add antimony or linotype to increase size.

Wayne Smith
03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I cast my first booolits, yesterday. The Lee mold is .452 and I found the measurement to be .451 after Alox lubing. Is this of any consequence ? Did I do something wrong ?
Al

Don't know yet. What size in your bore?

RobS
03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
+1 on not knowing on bullet diameter until you check your groove diameter of the barrel you intend to shoot the bullet down. Also if you are casting with WW or a bullet with antimony give the bullet a week or so and you can sometimes gain .0005 to .001 diameter as the bullets tend to increase in size a bit.

It would be good to check your bullets without the alox on them as well.

I don't know what your casting temperature is at either. A cooler temp can increase the diameter of a bullet as well as visa versa a hotter temp can decrease the bullet diameter. Casting temp in that a cooler or hotter alloy increases or decreased the molds temperature and can change the effect of the bullet being casted. This is minimal of course.

As already mentioned changing your alloy mixture can help with bullet diameter differences too.