PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea - jpw recipe

bigmike13
03-01-2010, 11:44 PM
looking to try the 45/45/10 jpw/alox/ms tumble lube and after struggling to find it locally (which I did eventually) I started looking for a possible way to duplicate it and found a number of DIY furniture paste wax recipes. Most all involve melting wax then removing from heat and adding solvent and the end product is a paste wax. So I was wondering if anyone has already tried roll your own JPW? and if so what ratios of carnauba/paraffin/beeswax did you use?

I know that some are thinking "If it aint broke don't fix it", but I cant resist a good science project.

Recluse
03-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Having heard the rumor that JPW may soon be no more--but unable to confirm it 100% with SC Johnson, I'm doing two things:

1. I'm adding to my stash of JPW whenever I find it on the shelves,

2. I'm experimenting with other base-waxes to see what the results will be.

JPW has some other stuff in it that doesn't quite melt off when cooked, and those ingredients also act as a lube--so I'm not totally sure how just straight carnaube/parrafin will work in conjunction with the LLA/Xlox.

Lubes fascinate me and I'm always tinkering with them. Will keep you posted.

:coffee:

TORCHrider
03-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I found 6 cans at my local Home Depot. Looked like they had been there for years.

geargnasher
03-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I found 6 cans at my local Home Depot. Looked like they had been there for years.

I hope JPW isn't discontinued, if it is I'll feel like my Mom years ago when she said "Just my luck, Avon discontinued the only shade of lipstick that EVER looked good on me!"

Gear

bigmike13
03-03-2010, 04:28 AM
from what I have read they have not discontinued it, its just harder to find. I was more interested in the science project angle of closely duplicating a popular product.

Edubya
03-03-2010, 09:04 AM
"Just my luck, Avon discontinued the only shade of lipstick that EVER looked good on me!"

Gear

Do you wear lipstick everyday?:kidding:
EW

bigmike13
04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Going to try making some paste wax tomorrow, got the wax from a Maker's bottle, a few chunks of paraffin and some mineral spirits. Might watch Frankenstein tonight for some inspiration.

oscar.45
04-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm stupid, what's JPW?

Edubya
04-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax

EW

KYCaster
04-28-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm stupid, what's JPW?

Not stupid, just ignorant. We all suffer from ignorance of some subjects, but it can be cured with education.

Stupid, like ugly, goes clean to the bone...and there's no know cure for it. [smilie=1:

Jerry

jimmeyjack
04-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Just an fyi to anyone in california, OSH keeps the jpw in stock.

lylejb
04-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Ace hardware and Fred Meyer stores (Kroger) stock it in my area.

As I have 2 stores within 2 miles of my house with it on the shelf, I've never tried to homebrew it.

Homebrew lube is homebrew enough for me.

res45
04-29-2010, 08:07 AM
I get my JPW from Lowe's it's in the home cleaning section for $5 a can,the store I visited had about 15 cans on the shelf.

bigmike13
04-29-2010, 09:15 AM
My lowes has about 30 or so can's of JPW @ $5 bucks a can, It's more about the fun of making something rather than buying it. If I cant figure it out, I will hit the Lowes up. here is the paste wax recipe that got me thinking.

http://www.codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/recipes/waxpolish.htm

bigmike13
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Not sure its a success, but made a paste wax then mixed it with LLA and mineral spirits. What i got was a homogeneous mixture that is the consistency of really thin ketchup. I think I have to thin it out a bit more.

I melted the wax from a Maker's Mark bottle, 3 tea lights together. Then I took it off the heat and added a healthy dose of mineral spirits and stirred and I got a paste wax. I then melted the paste wax and added a 4oz bottle of LLA. the resulting mixture was super thick so I added more mineral spirits.

oscar.45
04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Not stupid, just ignorant. We all suffer from ignorance of some subjects, but it can be cured with education.

Stupid, like ugly, goes clean to the bone...and there's no know cure for it. [smilie=1:

Jerry

But ignorance is bliss.

I work for a large company and we are in acronym hell. Depending on which program you are working on the acronyms have different meanings.

Ugly goes to the bone and the only cure I know is more beer. :drinks: