PDA

View Full Version : Question on thin soda can checks

Spector
03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Has anyone tired modifying a Lee mold, or other brand, by removing metal from the gas check shank in the mold so that the mold would cast boolits with a larger than normal diameter shank?

Then one layer thick soda can gas checks could be made that would better fit the boolit.

Perhaps these would make for a check that was too flimsy, but I was just curious if anyone has actually tried this and done any range testing with thin, ecomomical and easily fabricated aluminum soda can checks.

I have read of people gluing their gas checks onto the boolit and this may be ideal for such thin checks.........Mike

HamGunner
03-03-2010, 12:55 AM
I think a few have been using one layer aluminum checks and sizing them onto plain base bullets with a bit of success.

RU shooter
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Has anyone tired modifying a Lee mold, or other brand, by removing metal from the gas check shank in the mold so that the mold would cast boolits with a larger than normal diameter shank?

Then one layer thick soda can gas checks could be made that would better fit the boolit.

Perhaps these would make for a check that was too flimsy, but I was just curious if anyone has actually tried this and done any range testing with thin, ecomomical and easily fabricated aluminum soda can checks.
If you did this then no other GC would fit ,IMO it would be alot easier to just use 2 or 3 (if needed) layers of the can material and or modifying your chex maker(sometimes you need to do both) than trying to opening up the boolit shank on the mould. Alum. cans are free and found everywhere, replacing a mould isnt .....

JeffinNZ
03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
I agree with RUShooter. Further, the thickness of the soda can material is frequently the same as the depth of rifling we are shooting so there is a risk that your rifling with shear through the check altogether with no back up.

rbuck351
03-06-2010, 02:12 AM
I have been using single layer pop can on plain base boolit with good success in hand guns. I don't think rifling cutting through the gas check would be a problem. I think the gas cutting occurs in the throat lead area before the boolit base has sealed in the bore. After that, if the boolit is sealing, gas cutting should no longer be a problem. Don't really know for sure, but thats my theory. You could make or have made another punch to use with thicker aluminum such as roof flashing. Although it's not free, the cost per 100 checks would be in the very few pennies. I found two different thickness of roof flashing at Lowes, one about .010 and one about .015. I use pop cans too, but only for non check boolitshttp://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu350/Buck48_photos/DSCN0770.jpg the second boolit from the left is a pop check the third may be also but I can't remember for sure.