PDA

View Full Version : Lachmiller (RCBS) Lube-a-matic Problem

Ukatah
03-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever had or knows of someone that has had this problem. I started sizing some .30 cal and the lube was a bit stiff as it was cold out. Evidently, what I thought to be stiff lube, turned out to be, that the piston was at the bottom of the screw shaft. Needless to say, one more crank on the screw shaft dislodged the piston from the screw shaft at the bottom of the cylinder. $#!+, To Much Muscle (In My HEAD)!:x So I cleaned the unit up with boiling water to see what if anything I could accomplish. So now I am stuck. The screw shaft is loose at the bottom of the cylinder and the piston just spins when I turn the shaft. Anyone have any ideas on how I might get the piston to thread back onto the shaft?

eT

D Crockett
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
that is a easy fix send it back to RCBS and they will fix it or replace it D Crockett

sagacious
03-01-2010, 11:54 PM
No problem. Been there done that. The fix is very easy.

The screw handle is secured to the screw-top of the lube reservoir by an e-clip. You can see the e-clip flat against the top of the lube-top. Simply pry the e-clip off with a screwdriver-- be careful, don't lose it as it pops off.

Removal of the e-clip allows the screw handle to drop down further into the lube well. Just push the lube handle down and turn it counter-clockwise (I think) about three turns, and you'll get the threads back into the bottomed-out lube piston. Then unscrew the lube reservoir top and pull the handle out and you've got the problem solved. Remember to re-install the e-clip.

Hope this explanation is clear. :drinks:

wistlepig1
03-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Sagaciou is right, I repaired my Lachmiller with the same problem about 20 yrs ago and it's still working. When you are using a screwdriver on the E-clip, be careful not to stab yourself with it when it slips off, don't ask!:groner:

Calamity Jake
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
After you have done the above and have the piston/shaft out, cross drill a 3/16 dia hole at the bottom of the shaft and install a 3/16 X 3/4 roll/spring pin, that plunger will neve come off again.

When the plunger gets to the bottom of the shaft and bottoms out against the roll pin lube will stop flowing then you know it is time to refill.

HORNET
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Somebody a while back suggested dropping a short piece of PVC pipe inside for the piston to bottom out on. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. YMMV.

GP100man
03-04-2010, 05:01 PM
ME ,ME , a short peice of pipe 3/4 " will make it like a lock dowm tite when it hits!!

Fellers the resivior does`nt have to be empty to install the pipe just cut it to length & let the plunger push it down as it goes !!

I took a peice of wire & fashioned a small hook & picked up on the plunger & it caught the threads .

Ukatah
03-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the input! Because my curiosity overwhelmed my patience, I continued to probe the problem. (D Crockett)-I didn't even consider contacting RCBS as their parts diagram implied parts were not supported. (sagacious & wistlepig1)-Your instructions were clear enough for a Pollock to understand (ME), however My model must have been MFG'd earlier. No e-clip as you described. I say that because once I did get it apart, by jamming an old table knife between the piston and the cylinder (the piston was turning with the shaft) the piston started threading up the shaft. Once disassembled, the problem became obvious. My unit has the screw shaft (Which resembles a threaded 8" spike) inserted through a hole in the bottom of the cylinder. The piston, with 2 O-rings simply threads on to this shaft, relying on the friction of the O-rings to allow the piston to move upward when the lube handle is turned Clockwise. What caused my problem was that the final 5/8" on the screw shaft was not threaded. So when I over cranked it, essentially I was trying to force the threaded piston onto un-threaded rod, a sort of "Jam Nut" situation. (Calamity Jake)- I couldn't use your method as a roll pin could not be inserted before or after inserting the screw shaft. During assembly I came up with an idea similar to (HORNET & GP100man). I found a 3/8" x 1" Bronze bushing at Ace hardware, cut it down to 5/8" and slid it over the screw shaft to prevent the piston from traveling that far in the future. Then I added new O-rings and its as good as new. I was so proud of myself I decided to fix my Star which seemed to have a similar problem. That one was easy, all I had to do was read the instruction manual or watch their U-Tube video. I found them on line at www.magmaengineering.com/products/magma-star-lube-sizer. Thanks again. eT

LEADHOPPER
03-11-2010, 08:07 AM
Ukatah,

Thats what I did with my RCBS Lube-a-matic. After I got the piston stuck. Works great now.

HORNET
03-12-2010, 05:13 PM
But it takes all the fun out of it if you read the instructions....LOL

wistlepig1
03-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Good fix, the next time I get mine low on lube I am doing the " ukaha" fix.:drinks: