PDA

View Full Version : Did I screw up?

Rather-B-Huntin
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm wondering if I've created another noob mistake?

I'm so new to casting that my first mold hasn't arrived yet! Since I'm trying to start out cheap because I don't know how long my WW supply will last, I decided that while I'm waiting for my first mold that I'd mix up some Darr's lube (going to be pan lubing until I find out if it'll be financially advantageous to buy a luber/sizer).

So I put 1 lb. of paraffin, 1 lb. of petroleum jelly, 2 tbsp. of STP, and four blaze orange crayons (for a cool looking color) in a pot and commenced melting it all down. After it all melted I sat it aside to cool, pulled up this forum, and realized that I should have put STP oil treatment in the mix instead of the STP gas treatment that I actually used.

Have I ruined my mixture, or will it still work??

wiljen
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Melt your mix again (gently so the methanol boils off and doesnt catch fire) and add the STP OIL treatment this time. The gas treatment wont help the lube any, but it will cook off so you can still fix it.

Rather-B-Huntin
03-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Any idea how long I should let it boil?

wiljen
03-01-2010, 09:43 PM
not at all - just heat it til it melts
methanol will evaporate with slight heat - no need to boil it.

Rather-B-Huntin
03-01-2010, 10:51 PM
not at all - just heat it til it melts
methanol will evaporate with slight heat - no need to boil it.

I combined all ingredients in a cold pan and heated everything to melting together (probably not the wisest moving, looking back). Is there still a need to melt it again, or did the methanol likely evaporate the first time?

Also, I've read about an alternative Darr's lube formula which eliminates the STP all together? Is there really any reason to go back and add STP oil treatment to my mix now?

lylejb
03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
did the methanol likely evaporate the first time?
probably some did, not likely all of it.

Is there really any reason to go back and add STP oil treatment to my mix now?
Yes, STP oil treatment is very slick stuff. It adds alot of lubricity to the mix.

Wiljen has it right,

hope this helps.

Bad Water Bill
03-02-2010, 05:31 AM
When STP first came out one of the guys I worked with new Andy on a first name basis. We had a way of showing how slick it was Take a light bulb ,hold on to the base and coat the glass part with STP. Now try holding onto the glass. DO NOT DROP THE BULB. We broke more bulbs and sold lots of STP:smile:

sav300
03-02-2010, 07:53 AM
STP and wyinns friction proofing the same? Or close?
Can it be used in lube making?
Thanks

Recluse
03-02-2010, 09:23 AM
I combined all ingredients in a cold pan and heated everything to melting together (probably not the wisest moving, looking back). Is there still a need to melt it again, or did the methanol likely evaporate the first time?

Also, I've read about an alternative Darr's lube formula which eliminates the STP all together? Is there really any reason to go back and add STP oil treatment to my mix now?

First off, welcome to the magical world of boolit casting, and, welcome to the mystical world of boolit lubing. :)

I prefer to melt my ingredients one at a time, ie, melt my base first (I prefer beeswax over all else), then add my ingredients individually. For a few lube concoctions I've developed or tried, some ingredients had to be melted/cooked separately then added to the existing melted liquid. Real pain.

But that's why I call it pain-lubing. Lot of folks here, though, have it down to an absolute art.

Don't be afraid to also delve into tumble-lubing--especially for your lower-velocity pistol rounds. Very economical and easy to do. There's a sticky in this section about tumble-lubing to give you some ideas and a few pointers.

:coffee:

wiljen
03-02-2010, 09:55 AM
STP and wyinns friction proofing the same? Or close?
Can it be used in lube making?
Thanks

I think it is probably close. The MSDS sheet for Wynn's says it is 50% Oil and does not contain PTFE so it is likely usable as a substitute for STP.

sav300
03-02-2010, 11:56 PM
wiljen,thanks.