PDA

View Full Version : redding #1 powder scale

Duck45LC
03-01-2010, 08:07 PM
new to reloading. i picked up a redding #1 scale with no instructions. i was wondering if anyone knows what oil redding recommends to use in the dampener resevoir. called redding customer service with no sucess.:groner: any input would be appreciated. have heard of anything from water to motor oil but seems to me that this could effect the accuracy of the scale but i could be wrong.

Pressman
03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
From experience, I would not use anything. Any liquid is messy, especially oil. It will get into everything. If you must, Herter's recommended 10w motor oil for their version of that scale. Any very light oil will work, the thinner the better.
Ken

azshtr
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Years ago I had a Redding #1 and believe as Pressman stated it was suggested to use 10w oil, I do remember that I used automatic transmission fluid, the reason I didn't have any 10w oil and did have the transmission fluid which worked and used that for years.

If you don't use some type of liquid it is like "watching grass grow" and if you are weighing a lot of rifle drops you will probably give it up because the slightest movement will have the beam bouncing again.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-01-2010, 11:00 PM
I've had 2 of these for a very long time. I never used the oil dampening feature, but other loading friends have tried it. It works with any number of lighter oils, but it is kind of a messy affair. Pouring it out is a bit tricky and then cleaning the reservoir is best done with Q-tips. What I do is as follows; when the beam starts to swing, place the point of a sharp pencil under the beam (arrow) and let the beam hit the point and bounce. It'll do that a couple of times and then a couple more when you remove the point. The beam then settles quickly and will come to a standstill without swinging all day and you having to wait for it to stop all the way. It never was a "fast" scale, but it has always been an accurate one and has lasted several decades. If you elect to use the oil dampening feature you can use ATF fluid or sewing machine oil or 3 in 1. Try the pencil point and if still trys your patience you can always go the oil feature. LLS

N1YDP
11-24-2012, 01:42 PM
i kust got one with no instuction.how do read the scale?

Le Loup Solitaire
11-24-2012, 03:23 PM
First level the scale with the leveling nut on a flat surface so that with pointers on both scales set to zero and nothing in the pan-not even dust. The left end of the beam pointer should rest at dead flat zero. If it doesn't then either your scale is not level or something is wrong. You should have a set of weights to check the scale at various weights. You can make your own weights by using short pieces of copper wire or coins...have whatever you use properly marked and weighed by someone with an accurate scale such as your local pharmacist. If the scale is "off" it can be adjusted by moving the two jam nuts on the beam a little; those were set at the factory and should be in their original position...but again before you mess with them, you must have a set of check weights to be sure that the scale is "on" at various other weights up and down the line. LLS