PDA

View Full Version : new cast boolit shooting barrel ordered

jeff223
06-23-2006, 05:53 PM
rather than selling off my C358-180-RF Lee mold i decided to sell off my factory TC 357max barrel and i ordered a new MGM custom in 357max.Shilen barrel blanks are used for making these barrel and i know for a fact these barrels shoot cast boolits very good.this barrel is going to be 16 inches long and im sending a dummy round to MGM so they can throat the chamber to match the boolit.Mitchel or forum name "357max" has one of these barrels for his Encore and the accuracy is very good with this boolit.

i had to pay the price to become a cast boolit shooter but i think i can save a bunch of $$$ over buying the jacketed boolits.

just thought i would tell you about this MGM barrel deal i have going right now.all i must do now is wait 3 to 4 weeks till i get my new barrels.by the way i ordered a new 16 incher in 221 fireball too but that one will be shooting jacketed boolitshttp://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

357maximum
06-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Jeff

first off, It is Michael, not Mitchell that would be my uncle.

Second, You will be happy as a weasel in the hen house quite soon. MGM, a.k.a Virgin Valley makes a darn nice product, and I am sure you will be tickled. When you get it shoot me a line and I will get you data I used on YOUR boolits..

Michael

PatMarlin
06-25-2006, 01:53 PM
-So Mitchel, what's your favorite cast boolit 358 mold?.. :mrgreen:

357maximum
06-25-2006, 08:55 PM
so far my Mountain mold GC 180 is tops, but my Mountaqin mold pb 180 is fun for slower stuff, the group buy 180 from lee is proably gonna be my favorite as soon as I get it. I love the boolits I got from Jeff223 from his mold from the last group buy on that mold, plus she makes 6 at a whack. Just waiting for lee on the mold. I have shot both my mountain molds in 35 rem also with good results, but more tweaking is in order. Just got the gun a couple weeks ago. It is an old cut rifled straight stock marlin 336 rc, 1954 vintage. My max will digest anything I have fed her with boring regularity, except for some 230 grainers, she did not like them as well. I have shot from 125 to 230 grainers in her and she shot all well except the 230, but I did not have many too play with, and proably could have made it work. My max absolutely loves 180 grainers, H4227, and remington 7.5 primers. You just cannot go wrong in her with this combo. Point it in the right direction and she does the rest.

Michael

PatMarlin
06-25-2006, 09:04 PM
What mold was the 230grner that you shooter didn't like?

357maximum
06-25-2006, 11:34 PM
I believe it was lyman, but not sure, they were donated bullets, and seing as how they did not work well, I did not persue the issue, cannot even remember where I got them, had them for a long time. They were in an old STEEL bugler can if that means anything,...old boolits.. I am reasonably sure they were older than me. They were a borerider, round nose...gc design.