PDA

View Full Version : Before Bullplate sprue lube, what should I use to clean all my moulds?

sheepdog
03-01-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't want to spend much time cleanign them, either cause I got alot of them to clean. :)

largom
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Some may frown but I clean molds that need it in gasoline then blow off with an air hose from my air compressor. Setting them on a warm hot plate assures evaporation of any remaining gas. Fast & simple.

Larry

captaint
03-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Nothin wrong with that, largom. I mean, you gotta clean them with something wet!!! Sheepdog, I use paint thinner, gas, carb cleaner, degreaser, soap & water & toothbrush - whatever.. If you need to get some lead traces off, many guys rub an ingot politely on the faces and that picks up the "bad" lead. my take. enjoy Mike

the_ursus
03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I use brake cleaner.

chaos
03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I use brake cleaner.

On IRON moulds:

For stuck on or smeared lead. It gets scrubbed away with "Chore Boy" copper pads... Just like a leaded bore.

I also use a tiny amount of copper anti-sieze on the bottom of the sprue plate near the hinge. Eliminates any gauling.

Taylor
03-01-2010, 08:36 PM
brake cleaner

Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings
03-01-2010, 08:57 PM
For Cast Iron moulds:
Try some Tabasco brand hot sauce, don't soak'em in it. Use good stiff nylon brush to scrub them. Rinse in hot water and either set them a hot plate or use a hair dryer or good dry stream of air from a compressor.
Be aware that the moulds are now removed of any oil and will rust. I lightly oil the outsides and apply a release agent to the cavity.
I got this from the folks at Magma and it works very well.

mpmarty
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
+1 on the tobasco sauce

mroliver77
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM
SD,
If you are talking lead smears. I heat the mold in the lead until it is a little too hot to cast with. I use a soft brass brush to wisk away the lead. No damage and fast. Do it when your going to use the mold and then treat with the BP.
Jay