PDA

View Full Version : Oh man... what the heck is lube!?

mcdonl
03-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Ok, so I thought I was all set after casting such fine boolits now I need to find some Johnson's Wax, LLA and MS!!

Is this my best bet to lube 9mm and .38 special?

I have read the stickies and this seems like the best bet. All they have at the local store is a lyman product that seems to be made for a luber/sizer.

I will be ordering a Lee sizing die (2 Actually) in a week or so....

mdi
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM
KISS...
No need to start with a custom mix/concoction for a lube. Get some Xlox or Alox and read the instructions. Might have to thin with mineral spirits, but start easy. Yes Alox/Xlox will work for your boolits if properly sized to fit your barrel.

TORCHrider
03-01-2010, 12:06 PM
I am no genius and I was able to brew up the JPW, LLA and MS no problem. Just be patient and have plenty of ventilation as the fumes are a little nasty. I probably brewed enough for a couple of years. :-)

mcdonl
03-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah, it doesn't look too tough. Another step to learn, I love it!

And I will try not to raid the kitchen for the cookie sheets and wax paper like I did for the ladle and measuring cup :)

DLCTEX
03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Quote:"And I will try not to raid the kitchen for the cookie sheets and wax paper like I did for the ladle and measuring cup". Man, you like to live dangerously! LOL.

Recluse
03-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:"And I will try not to raid the kitchen for the cookie sheets and wax paper like I did for the ladle and measuring cup". Man, you like to live dangerously! LOL.

That's what I love about boolit casters--many are a fearless lot.

Mcdonl--Three words for you:

The. Dollar. Store.

It's a veritable paradise for us cheapskate casters and lubers. :)

:coffee:

mcdonl
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Good advice recluse... the last time I was there I purchased window and door security devices for $1 each... LOUD and come with extra batteries. Good place indeed.

captaint
03-01-2010, 03:56 PM
mcdonl - And another thing. The LLA comes with the Lee push thru dies. So - you just need the JPW and min spts. And if you have to, you can just go with the LLA. I've done it and it works OK. enjoy Mike

Daddyfixit
03-01-2010, 06:41 PM
KISS...
No need to start with a custom mix/concoction for a lube. Get some Xlox or Alox and read the instructions. Might have to thin with mineral spirits, but start easy. Yes Alox/Xlox will work for your boolits if properly sized to fit your barrel.

+1 for K.I.S.S.
Order some Xlox from Lar45's from the link at the bottom of the page.

dromia
03-02-2010, 01:43 AM
+1 for K.I.S.S.
Order some Xlox from Lar45's from the link at the bottom of the page.

Concur.

White Label is the place to get liquid alox from, same stuff at a lot less cost and great service.

Its a no brainer.

Link here:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Blammer
03-02-2010, 10:17 AM
there is a difference between being fearless and not knowing what to be afraid of.

this I know from first hand . :)

be VERY afraid of using the wife's cooking pots and pans, unless you don't ever want to get cookies agian. :)

mold maker
03-02-2010, 10:56 AM
I ordered last Thursday and had a surprise on my door step yesterday.
Great stuff at an even greater price.

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

They'll sure get more orders from me.

mcdonl
03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I have ordered a couple of new lee molds and they come with the alox... I guess that is a start.

I am starting to see how you guys think.... after a 100 or so boolits, I notice the mold is getting hot and needs longer for the sprue to harden, which means the boolits stay in there and add to the heat... resolution? Buy more molds so I can cycle them like I read on here!!

I like it. But, if I buy one more caliber I will need to start buying new guns to keep up with the molds :)

Wayne Smith
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I like it. But, if I buy one more caliber I will need to start buying new guns to keep up with the molds :)

And the problem is??

We are enablers!

mcdonl
03-02-2010, 02:56 PM
And the problem is??

We are enablers!

None... I see no problems :)

SharpsShooter
03-02-2010, 03:02 PM

...you haven't already???

SS

mcdonl
03-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Actuall SS, I was only buying .22's for a while because it was all I could afford to shoot. I am trading one of my stock 10/22's to get my old S&W 659 back!! I loved that gun.

gray wolf
03-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Someone told me they are thinking of opening a rehab clinic for us.
I think it will be in the north east someplace.
They would have to take me kicking and screaming.
-STEP AWAY FROM MY MOLDS-

pjh421
03-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Its a vicious cycle...

Paul

mroliver77
03-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I dont have a problem. I can stop any time. I have notification on for new posts in "Group Buys" as an informational tool. Hang on I have to check my bank account. Hmmm, someday I will have a .50 cal and this new mold will come in handy. Hmmm, I only have the 452423 in single, double and six cavity. I sure can't wait until the HP version gets done. I found out if you live on Ramon you can buy three more Mihec molds a year!! See, no problem here. OOps, new gb mold, gotta run!!
Jay

Recluse
03-04-2010, 01:09 AM
And the problem is??

We are enablers!

Better listen to Wayne. He's a professional head mechanic.

:coffee: