PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Lyman 450 sizer

1Shirt
02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
I have managed to strip the threads on my 450 Lyman sizer. I can hold it down with a jerry rigged c-clamp set up, but it is just that. I have written to Lyman to see about a replacement, and got squat. On the phone to them, I get somebody who knows about as much about the product as I do about ballet. Need suggestions from anybody who has experianced this problem and what they did to solve the problem.
I thank in advance all who respond to this thread.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Shiloh
02-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Sounds like you need the pressure screw. Look at the link. Is this correct??

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_4500.pdf

Shiloh

Tazman1602
02-28-2010, 10:37 PM
I have managed to strip the threads on my 450 Lyman sizer. I can hold it down with a jerry rigged c-clamp set up, but it is just that. I have written to Lyman to see about a replacement, and got squat. On the phone to them, I get somebody who knows about as much about the product as I do about ballet. Need suggestions from anybody who has experianced this problem and what they did to solve the problem.
I thank in advance all who respond to this thread.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Which threads man? The ones that the big nut goes into that holds down the die or the ones that are in the lube resovior? You can buy the nuts that hold the dies in from Lyman but it takes them FOREVER to ship to you. My experience with Lyman customer service has been much like yours...................

jcwit
02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Go to their web site and look up replacement parts. Like Tazman said sounds like you need the pressure screw, might as well replace the piston while you're at it.

BTW my experience with Lyman has always been good and service prompt. A little Patience and friendyness goes a long way getting what you want.

NVcurmudgeon
03-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Go to their web site and look up replacement parts. Like Tazman said sounds like you need the pressure screw, might as well replace the piston while you're at it.

BTW my experience with Lyman has always been good and service prompt. A little Patience and friendyness goes a long way getting what you want.

My Lyman warranty experience has been excellent. Hint: don't E-mail, talk to a human being.

1Shirt
03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Die Retaining Nuts are what I need. Shilo, thanks for the parts breakdown and part numbers, that will help when I call again. Wish they had more substantial threads.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Tazman1602
03-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Die Retaining Nuts are what I need. Shilo, thanks for the parts breakdown and part numbers, that will help when I call again. Wish they had more substantial threads.

Hey 1 -- if they WERE more substantial it would strip the threads in the sizer instead of the nut. Just buy about 3-4 when you order, I always keep some on hand because I KNOW sooner or later I'm going to be in a hurry.......

Art

high standard 40
03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
If you need some parts, it may be best to go to the parts list for the 450 and not the 4500. Some parts are different. Correct link below.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html

AZ-Stew
03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
How did I manage to keep from stripping the threads for 35 years?

When you put a different sizer die in the machine, first, use a paper towel to wipe of the excess lube from the outside of the die from the last time you used it.

Then, completely seat the nut on the sizer die. Push it down until it stops and is square with the die.

Push the die down into the reservoir, using your thumb on top of the die and nut. Don't let the die and nut separate and get cockeyed with each other. Push them down until the nut is in full contact all around where it screws in.

Put the Lyman wrench on the nut and while pushing down with your thumb to keep the nut square with the top of the hole in the press, CAREFULLY begin turning the wrench. You'll feel it begin to thread in. Once you get 2-3 turns in, you can remove your thumb and finish screwing the die in with the Lyman wrench. Stop when the nut becomes snug.

Regards,

Stew

fecmech
03-01-2010, 08:56 PM
I have always put light pressure on the top of the nut with the top punch ram and then start turning it. The face of the ram is square to the die hole. Been doing it that way since 1970 and still using the original nut.

largom
03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Have ordered parts from Lyman on the web with credit card and got them within a week.

Larry

oneokie
03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
then, completely seat the nut on the sizer die. Push it down until it stops and is square with the die.

Regards,

stew

+ 10 ;)

Wayne Smith
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
How did I manage to keep from stripping the threads for 35 years?

When you put a different sizer die in the machine, first, use a paper towel to wipe of the excess lube from the outside of the die from the last time you used it.

Then, completely seat the nut on the sizer die. Push it down until it stops and is square with the die.

Push the die down into the reservoir, using your thumb on top of the die and nut. Don't let the die and nut separate and get cockeyed with each other. Push them down until the nut is in full contact all around where it screws in.

Put the Lyman wrench on the nut and while pushing down with your thumb to keep the nut square with the top of the hole in the press, CAREFULLY begin turning the wrench. You'll feel it begin to thread in. Once you get 2-3 turns in, you can remove your thumb and finish screwing the die in with the Lyman wrench. Stop when the nut becomes snug.

Regards,

Stew

WOW! It only took me about three years to figure that out!

HORNET
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
And if you turn the nut backwards to start with, you can feel it when the threads drop when they're at the right point to engage the first thread.

Shiloh
03-02-2010, 10:40 AM

One has to be patient and careful putting the retaining screw back in. Like AZStew said. clean up the area and make sure it is square.

I have always put light pressure on the top of the nut with the top punch ram and then start turning it. The face of the ram is square to the die hole. Been doing it that way since 1970 and still using the original nut.

That's how I do it. Bought my 450 unit used for next to nothing. The original screw was boogered up. Been using the same replacement since I replaced it.
I saw that over the years I have acquired several spares.

Have ordered parts from Lyman on the web with credit card and got them within a week.

Larry

Lyman is pretty good with customer service. There are better and certainly worse.
They seem to be more particular than most about having part #'s, Most places really appreciate you knowing what you need and having the proper part#. It really simplifies things, as well as dramatically reduces guess work and shipping the wrong parts.

Shiloh