PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

DeadWood
02-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Ok, gents, here it is, but for the life of me i can't find any markings. I have have it in my log book as 25-32cal but i don't know were we got those numbers from, because until we took possetion of these i never herd of these calibers.

Cimarron Red
02-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Deadwood,

Your rifle is a French-made Flobert. These were made in several variations from 1850 until 1932. Your gun is of the "Warnant" system. This is the final improvement to the Flobert action and is considered to be the best and strongest version. More of these were imported to the US than any of the other types. I can't find much information on chamberings aside from several .22 rimfire cartridges and .32 rimfire.

You can learn a bit more about Floberts in Frank de Haas' book, Single Shot Rifles and Actions.

John Taylor
02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
The frame for the 32 is quite a bit larger than the 22. They are not a strong action and are not suited for modern high velocity 22 LR loads. The screws that go into the side of the barrel are usually loose and the mating holes for the breach block are most time wore a bunch. The 32 would be OK to reline to 22LR but the smaller action should be 22 short or CB cap only.
The only thing I like about them is the trigger guard, looks neat.
I have a 22 and 32 in the shop at this time.

gewehrfreund
03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Most of these were Belgian. The rifle pictured has the "Warnant" action, which is somewhat stronger than the the Flobert "tilting block" action. I have seen one of these from Germany FWIW.