PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bullet stuck in point form die

plumber
02-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Well I've done it! I managed to somehow throw my ejection pin right through the bullet. I managed to get the pin out now the bullet is still in the die with a dead center hole through it. How do I get it out?

Storydude
02-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Freeze die in a COLD freezer, or bath of Liquid CO2. Brass and lead contract more than steel.

It "should" drop right out.

Lead pot
02-28-2010, 02:43 PM
You didn't say what kind of die. Is it one of the Corbin S dies or is it a die for a loading press?
If it is a corbin die just drill a hole in the center of the bullet base careful not going all the way through and take a 3" or longer wood screw and screw it in the bullet base a short way and take out the top punch, run the screw head through the hole and hold on to the screw head with a pair of pliers and lower the ram.

Kurt

buck1
02-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I was thinking heat, but that may ruin the temper of the die.

plumber
02-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Yes Corbin S die. .224 6-s.
As my ejector punch has already put a centered hole I may try a big wood screw

deltaenterprizes
02-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Put in the freezer a couple of days first, or where you live leaving it outside a couple of days will do the same thing right now!

rbt50
02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
sometimes pushing the bullet in a little more will close up the point so it can be pushed out.
i would never heat the die and becareful using the screw not to mess up the die walls in the die.
i have had a few bulletsover the years do this and this is how i get them out.

blaser.306
02-28-2010, 07:59 PM
did it on the first bullet in the die , I canfeel your pain . If all else fails send it back to the builder and have it removed , mutch cheaper than a new die!!!

Country
02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
What I have done in the past is take a lead core and put extra lube on the end then force it into the die behind the stuck bullet . This jambs the bullet hard into the die and closes the point and forces some extra lube in.
If that does nor result in a normal eject.
Then I drill through the lead into the base of the bullet and screw in a big self tapping roof screw. However first I put the puch holder sleeve on the screw shaft.
Then I reinstall the whole thing in the press, Screw the punch holder sleeve into the punch holder . That way the screw head is held in the punch holder and the thread is in the base of the bullet . Then just extract the bullet.
Generally I just go straight to the extractor screw system now .
I don't tend to get stuck bullets much anymore but you never know when it could just happen.

plumber
02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I found a .125 easy out hanging about, made life good!
Thanks guys, back to swaging.

Lead pot
02-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Dont forget the lube trick :bigsmyl2: